Rush Hour Death Match

tamias6

Rush Hour Death Match  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most dangerous road in GR?

• 28th Street
    • Alpine Ave.
    • Plainfield Ave.
    • Division Ave.
    • 44th Street

Ladys and Gentlemen! Buckle your seatbelts, put your hands on the ten and two, and let your inner road rage fly. It's time for Rush Hour Death Match! In today's bought we have five of GR's imfamously insane arterial surface roads ready to slug it out for the title of "Most Dangerous Road in GR".

First up in the ring, slicing though four cities, featureing 3 shopping malls and everything from upsale buotique shops all the way down to Dollar Generals and shady cash advance shops--We know him. We hate him. It's the shoppers bannanza, the king of urban sprawl, 28th street!

Next up is 28th street's arch rival. He's the industrial grit turn stripmall and sprawl-mart hell complete with slow traffic lights and nighmarish road planning. Let's hear for Alpine Ave!

Not to be out done, here comes the degenerate master of 50's suberbia gone mad. Its the ugly red headed step child, Plainfeild Ave.

Wait a minute folks. Division Ave. just came up and hit Plainfeild in the back of the Head with a metal fold away chair! The Refs stepped in a broke up the fight. Plainfeild's not giving up though as he's staggering into the ring. Solid traffic jam from downdown though crime laced urban jungle, right though used car central and ending with redneck attitude coming from mobile home dealerships and trailer parks on its south end, Division is one mean street.

But can the bad attitude of Division compare with the light industrial and commercial touch of 44th street? With an ongoing face lift into a boulivard complete with grassy mediens and trees, this stretch of road is known for traffic jams with style.

All the contestants are in the ring. Who is the most dangerous road in GR? Only your votes and comments will tell. So let's get in on!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladys and Gentlemen! Buckle your seatbelts, put your hands on the ten and two, and let your inner road rage fly. It's time for Rush Hour Death Match! In today's bought we have five of GR's imfamously insane arterial surface roads ready to slug it out for the title of "Most Dangerous Road in GR".

First up in the ring, slicing though four cities, featureing 3 shopping malls and everything from upsale buotique shops all the way down to Dollar Generals and shady cash advance shops--We know him. We hate him. It's the shoppers bannanza, the king of urban sprawl, 28th street!

Next up is 28th street's arch rival. He's the industrial grit turn stripmall and sprawl-mart hell complete with slow traffic lights and nighmarish road planning. Let's hear for Alpine Ave!

Not to be out done, here comes the degenerate master of 50's suberbia gone mad. Its the ugly red headed step child, Plainfeild Ave.

Wait a minute folks. Division Ave. just came up and hit Plainfeild in the back of the Head with a metal fold away chair! The Refs stepped in a broke up the fight. Plainfeild's not giving up though as he's staggering into the ring. Solid traffic jam from downdown though crime laced urban jungle, right though used car central and ending with redneck attitude coming from mobile home dealerships and trailer parks on its south end, Division is one mean street.

But can the bad attitude of Division compare with the light industrial and commercial touch of 44th street? With an ongoing face lift into a boulivard complete with grassy mediens and trees, this stretch of road is known for traffic jams with style.

All the contestants are in the ring. Who is the most dangerous road in GR? Only your votes and comments will tell. So let's get in on!

:blink: thats fing hilarious

i'm going to have to go with alpine. it has the absoulte WORST planning ever, especially the target/kohls area, which causes headaches, which causes people to get mad, which causes them to drive like a**holes. which causes more headaches.

plainfield, i think, is going to lose this match. mostly because of the type of people in the area (i dont mean to be stereotypical here, grdad) are more of the elderly-type people, who tend to drive slow and stay in the right lane their whole trip.

and then division. i think this is close for last place, too, mostly becuase it is in the city. people in the city actually do not drive crazy, mostly because of the way streets are set up (in a grid) which cause people to normally drive slower.

in the end, alpine is first, 28th is a close second.

Oh I gotta go with the home team Alpine all the way! Nothing like taking 45 minutes to go a mile every afternoon! Oh the congestion of Alpine how I miss home.

But i'm going to buck the trend here a little, I really hate the 44th St corridor, from Clyde Park over to Buchanan! It's always there to be a thorn in my tukus. However, I must say 28th from East Paris on thru to the 96 interchange. But still, nothing is as fun as Alpine from 3 to 4 mile.

Another vote for Alpine. While 28th is affectionately known as the "asshole street" by me and a few other people, Alpine seems to back up and move slower. The traffic light in front of Kohls and other assorted stores probably has more red light runners than any other light in town. I think there are probably more crashes on Alpine from people trying to make a left onto the street than any other street as well.

-nb

Alpine has what we call the "suicide lane". It's the northbound far right lane. As you approach 4 mile the lane ends, turns right on to 4mile. So there are rarely ever cars in it. When the backed up traffic slows to let someone turn left, they almost always get nailed by someone in that lane going 50 or more. I have seen more senior citizens in horrific accidents on alpine trying to turn left in to Steak n Shake or Green Ridge Square. It's the reason they made it Illegal to turn left into Greenridge anywhere but where there are lights.

I know that about 28th and East Paris it's old news.

But I think topic is more about annoying roads. And the clear cut winner for busiest thoroughfare in GR is Alpine Mdot's avg daily traffic for some major roads in GR.

Detroit Metro Traffic Counts

wow and i thought grand rapids had some traffic. lol there is more cars on I-75 north of Oakland County than there are on U.S. 131 through the S-Curv! :blink:

hehe, I guess I was talking in terms of population and sheer size. Detroit metro is a big city. It's got some of the highest traffic volumes in the country. I wasn't trying to say that the who's who of the world went to Detroit.

hehe, I guess I was talking in terms of population and sheer size. Detroit metro is a big city. It's got some of the highest traffic volumes in the country. I wasn't trying to say that the who's who of the world went to Detroit.

You and your "world cities"! :lol: If you don't want to perpetuate city vs. city debates Matt, I'd stop putting Detroit up on a wooden crate. :rofl:

Even though there are higher traffic volumes on other roads in GR (or the State), what makes Alpine so bad is the timing of lights, multiple drives coming into it, that drive North of Best Buy that has a short green light, that goofy third lane going Northbound (but stopping at 4 Mile) that always gets someone clipped, the multiple on-off ramps where 131/I-96/Alpine cross, etc etc etc.

Has anyone else meant to go downtown from Southbound Alpine and accidentally gotten onto I-96 East? :blush:

Although its considered a "nice modern road" byt a few here, the Rivertown section of 44th St has the ABSOLUTE WORST drivers in Michigan.

Alpine is kept in check by its horrible congestion, but that part of 44th street isnt quite up there yet in congestion, so you have people weaving in and out of lanes all over the place. Especially the section between Canal St. and Wilson Ave is a nightmare!

Just the other day I was driving east on 44th there in Grandville, and all of a sudden this black Grand Am comes swooping in from the right lane right in front of me like they never saw me. (and why does it always seem like a black Pontiac that causes me problems? could be any Pontiac, but something about that brand makes drivers crazy people.)

Although its considered a "nice modern road" byt a few here, the Rivertown section of 44th St has the ABSOLUTE WORST drivers in Michigan.

Alpine is kept in check by its horrible congestion, but that part of 44th street isnt quite up there yet in congestion, so you have people weaving in and out of lanes all over the place. Especially the section between Canal St. and Wilson Ave is a nightmare!

Just the other day I was driving east on 44th there in Grandville, and all of a sudden this black Grand Am comes swooping in from the right lane right in front of me like they never saw me. (and why does it always seem like a black Pontiac that causes me problems? could be any Pontiac, but something about that brand makes drivers crazy people.)

repressing, the urge to exploit stereotypes .... :whistling::wacko::unsure:

Like those Ego Emissions VW Jetta ads. Those crack me up!

"Because Daddy never hugged me!" "Because I make more money than you!"

:rofl: The best part of that commercial is the small print near the end:

"Closed Course. Do not throw megaphones or metaphors out your window."

• 2 weeks later...

My pet peeve is 4 way stops . .come on people . .it is not rocket science . . . . GO! :rofl:

i think four-way stops are too dangerous. too many people run them (i will admit, i dont always stop either, if there are no cars waiting). but when i do stop, i look both ways good and hard, becuase you never know what kind of idiot is gonna come flying through the intersection.

Archived