Franklin, TN pics

Nashvillain

I got a digital camera a few weeks ago and was dog/house sitting for a lady in Franklin at the time so I decided to test out my new camdamera with a little tour of Franktown, Tenny (as it's known in the hood). Not very extensive, but here's a few highlights of my tour. Please excuse my cheesy photoshopping in some of the shots. And sorry that the photos are so huge, that's a kink i'll have to work out. Hopefully they'll load o.k.

Confederate cemetary at the Carnton Plantation

imagefiles090.jpg

imagefiles094.jpg

imagefiles095.jpg

imagefiles096-1.jpg

The Carter House

imagefiles109.jpg

Some big houses on 3rd Ave.

This one is Lily Belles (sp?), its like a tea room type-deal where women dress up and pretend they're antebellum ladies or something, I don't know.

imagefiles115.jpg

This one's for sale, but it's too small for my needs.

imagefiles126.jpg

imagefiles127.jpg

Across the street...

imagefiles130.jpg

One of many examples of really geat federal style (I think) homes...

imagefiles134.jpg

"The Brownstones," these things go for around a million I think. The developer of these is also planning a somewhat less expensive condo development on the north side of town aimed at a younger buyer.

imagefiles136.jpg

imagefiles139.jpg

imagefiles140.jpg

This is across the street from the Brownstones...

imagefiles138.jpg

Caddy-corner...

imagefiles137.jpg

Moving down 2nd Ave. towards the Main St., the Masonic Lodge/Temple whatever...

imagefiles143.jpg

On the north side of town, the old city jail house...

imagefiles144.jpg

A resturant/cafe opened up in the red brick building next door recently...

imagefiles145.jpg

imagefiles146.jpg

imagefiles148.jpg

imagefiles149.jpg

imagefiles150.jpg

Well, that's it. Downtown Franklin and the inner ring neighborhoods is really a pretty cool place and has a lot of variety to it that I barely scratched the surface of. I didn't even bother with Main street, not to mention Hinchey Ville or Natchez St. (think North Nashville). Until next time ... peace bretheren.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that. I love this area of Franklin and the surrounding neighborhoods (which could be a reason I live less then a minute away). I'm looking forward to your pictures of Main and West Main Street. And I have to agree Dave. The Brownstones is one of my favorites in Franklin, behind only Nissan and Westhaven. It'll be great having this many people living right in downtown.

imagefiles140.jpg

Wow! The third Brownstone on the far right isn't quite as attractive as the others. LOL!

Seriously though, downtown Franklin is blessed with a goodly number of beautiful old homes, some dateing back before the civil war. People are investing up to $1 Million dollars for homes there, yet there are very modest homes mixed in that sit on property worth far more than the home. Eventually, I see the whole area being very upscale, with the remaining modest homes replaced by upscale brownstones, etc.

I agree. There is a lot of demand in downtown Franklin, and most of the homes (worth living in) sell for at least half a million dollars. I see some houses being renovated into their grandeur from the past, and others demolished for something better. And I noticed you pointed out a home that isn't really big enough. Unfortunately, the same goes with many of the houses in historic Franklin. One that was for sale a couple weeks ago had 9 bedrooms, but only 6 and a half bathrooms. Just won't work. No wonder these houses are selling for a million dollars.

I have to say that I was really excited when I saw this post and was hoping my former house might have gotten it's picture taken (alas no). Great quality pics though. Some little tidbits, the Masonic Temple was the first 3 story building West of the Appalachian mountains. Additionally, the building that you listed as the old jail (the whitish one) is actually the "2nd old jail". There are 3 jails side by side on that block. The oldest is the bricked building is now a Monells that just opened. The building to the left of the "old jail" that you listed is now a building for the school district but served as the jail in the 1970s. If you get back to Franklin and have never been there. I would suggest going up Franklin Road (in the direction of Nashville from downtown) to the Factory. There are some cute houses (and a very stately yellow mansion on the right which served as General Schofield's headquarters during the battle of Franklin, although it isn't marked...). The Factory itself is awesome if you have never been and across the street is the new Harlinsdale Park that the city just purchased (around 100 acres) as a horse heritage park. Thanks for reminding me of my hometown though!!

Just a bit of information, that yellow house belongs to the lead singer of DC Talk, and there's another house near downtown that belongs to a member of the Newsboys (both Christian rock bands). And my teacher is the son of the previous owner of Harlinsdale Farm. You should definately check out some of the parks next time you visit Franklin, nashvillain, and make sure you go to the new library on Columbia Avenue.

Just a bit of information, that yellow house belongs to the lead singer of DC Talk, and there's another house near downtown that belongs to a member of the Newsboys (both Christian rock bands). And my teacher is the son of the previous owner of Harlinsdale Farm. You should definately check out some of the parks next time you visit Franklin, nashvillain, and make sure you go to the new library on Columbia Avenue.

Been there done that. Actually took a few pictures of the library, just weren't very good. It's a really cool building. I used to work for the flower shop a few blocks away so I've been everywhere in Franklin and the whole county, the problem is, there's just too much stuff. I'd love to photograph more of it, but now my schedule is impossible. I'd encourage some of you others, cheerio, cough cough, with knowledge of the area to get out there and show it off.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm sure some of you have seen the articles about the back and forth on this one. I grew up going to this theatre and am absolutely horrified that the owner is considering gutting it. Downtown Franklin sure won't be the same without a theatre to go meet friends and make new ones. Indeed, I think that many other businesses (restaurant, bars, heck even some of our shops) will REALLY miss having an attraction such as this one.

Here's the article on this it:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=53545

I'll just leave with a Counting crows quote:

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone. They paved Paradise to put up a parking lot" (from Big Yellow Taxi)

I'm so devastated about losing my beloved Franklin Cinema. I really tried to encourage all my friends to go there instead of Thoroughbred in Cool Springs, but it's hard for a 2 theatre to compete with 20 screens, sadly. Our growth that partly came from our Main Street caused Cool Springs to grow, and Carmike caused Franklin cinema to die...a victim of our growth. DT Franklin will never be the same.

• 4 months later...

I could not find a decent thread to post this to but here goes anyway.

I was in Franklin this morning and counted no less than 8 cranes across from Cool Springs mall. Most notable were the cranes at the Nissan HQ which is rising quite fast. About a third of the buildings steel structure is in place all the way to floor 10 or 11. What ever its suppose to be. There were at least three other office buildings under construction in that area as well. Sorry guys no camera with me.

I could not find a decent thread to post this to but here goes anyway.

I was in Franklin this morning and counted no less than 8 cranes across from Cool Springs mall. Most notable were the cranes at the Nissan HQ which is rising quite fast. About a third of the buildings steel structure is in place all the way to floor 10 or 11. What ever its suppose to be. There were at least three other office buildings under construction in that area as well. Sorry guys no camera with me.

Archived