Pittsburgh's official website

noobie

I was on the official City of Pittsburgh website today and found it to be a very ugly designed site. The colors, fonts, etc., all very unappealing to the eye.

I know it's just a website, but I think given that the internet is probably one of the most widely used forms of information gathering these days, Pittsburgh could do a lot better with their official site. At least aesthetically. Just to make a good impression.

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/

So, I made one of my own. It probably could be done much better than mine, but my vision of the official Pittsburgh website would be something similar to this...

untitled38lc.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks guys.

mecurypa, It sounds like a very interesting idea. I might send this image along to someone at the city as mere suggestion of changing their site to something a little more friendly. I just hope that they open attachments. :)

everygrey, I agree the county site is very ugly! Westmoreland County has the only half decently designed site in the region. http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/index.shtml

Perhaps if we consolidate, there won't be a need for two different sites and we could get rid of that! :thumbsup:

You're right, the city website is pretty blah. I like that it's fairly easy to navigate, but it certainly isn't pretty. Yours is a lot more attractive, and I agree with Mercury about sending it to them. There is probably an email address for queries about the website, and if I were you that is where I would send it.

Urbani makes a good point. You could print out a really nice copy of your design on good paper and mail it to them with a cover letter. Maybe create a demo page and put it on a disk for them too. Who knows, maybe you will get a job as the new city webmaster :)

Thanks guys for encouragement!

Urbani, I just found out that their feedback section is only a comment option -- not an actual email. And I agree it would be questionable if they would even read it.

Gerbil, I don't have a workable web version of my rendering -- just a Photoshop project and an image file. As for being a webmaster, I think I'd leave that up to people better suited for that job. :) and simply recommend a good web design firm much better qualified than I to design it. Mine is just a recommended template of what a newer version could possibly look like.

I think the foreign language aspect to my version site is very doable! My goodness, this is Pittsburgh!

I bet you could find someone who speaks anyone of those languages I've depicted... and many more at anyone of the local universities!

I'm sure that while they're in Pittsburgh they'd be more than willing to translate and manage their language version of the city site!

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Cheers

noobie, there has been much progress here at UP on creating umbrella type city (region?) pages, I created an earlier version one for Pittsburgh but never completed the project. The more recent city pages are like the following:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/UP.Dynamic/charlotte.php

Click on maps and cities as well, and let me know if you can gain access to it, I have been out of the loop on that particular part of UP for awhile so not sure if only mods have access to it.

If you want, I think your creativity and artistic eye could make some great contributions to a future Pittsburgh page like that. Haven't had the time to commit lately all on my own but if there were contributions I am sure we could get something off the ground like that for Pittsburgh!

I will need some help on it at least for the next few months, but I will get the ball rolling on that soon. For now there is a link to a Pittsburgh Answers Guide on this forum, although I have only used it as a rough model for now.

That is a very cool feature for Charlotte.

I have always wanted a website/blog like what NYC, San Fransico, and LA have [mod edit see rules on advertising outside discussion sites] curbed.com - The New York Version

It mentions all of the developments going on in and around those cities. Plus people email in tips and other useful information.

^^chucka interesting thoughts, the admins and mods have gotten a bit stricter with outside sites that have forums, but I agree Pittsburgh deserves such web representation. As a member here all of you have a ton of input and ability to contribute to making something very special for Pittsburgh at UP. If you have any non-discussion sites you are more then welcomed to mention them here, by the way congrats on your 50th!

Archived