Tallest skyscraper ever proposed in your city?

ShowMeKC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys ^_^

I guess theres no representaion from outside US and canada. I represent Dubai, UAE.

The highest proposed and is now under construction is the Burj Dubai!!! Its going to be 800+ meters high. The height is kept as a secret so that no one else plans on building another one thats taller. The construction is in such a way that more floors can be added if needed.

I u need more i can post them with the whole project that also includes the worlds largest mall!!

Each red dot shows a floor and the blue dot is for every 10 floors.

Cheers :P

Btw how do u post pics here it seems to be diff from other forums!!!

Hey guys ^_^

I guess theres no representaion from outside US and canada. I represent Dubai, UAE.

The highest proposed and is now under construction is the Burj Dubai!!! Its going to be 800+ meters high. The height is kept as a secret so that no one else plans on building another one thats taller. The construction is in such a way that more floors can be added if needed.

I u need more i can post them with the whole project that also includes the worlds largest mall!!

Each red dot shows a floor and the blue dot is for every 10 floors.

Cheers :P

Btw how do u post pics here it seems to be diff from other forums!!!

Welcome to the forum darkknight!! Very nice to have representation of cities like yours! Very glad you could be here.

To post an image from another forum (watch this as if it isn't yours some people get uptight about this sort of thing) is to just do an image tag. If you right click on the picture on the other forum and go to properties it will tell you the location. Just copy and paste it. An example is shown below of what I mean:

[img=http://www.domain.com/images/image01.jpg]

Yep, its designed by chicago based SOM. Designed to resemble the desert flower when viewed from the top, the tower will be more than 800 meters high. The contruction has already started . Itll have 200 floors!!!! They say itll get done by 2008 but id say 2010. :D

U.S. Steel Tower was to be the tallest structure on earth when it was proposed in 1965.-- in the late 1960's with the rollback in the steel industry they settled for just 841 feet well short of the planned 1,300 feet or so.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=121986

At Skyscrapers.com there are TONS of skyscrapers listed as NEVER BUILT, Houston, Cleveland and others have 2 or 3 that would have been the top 'scrapers in those cities that were NEVER built.

Well my city is just breaking into the skyscraper phase, and this (to my knowledge) is the tallest building to be proposed.

47 story - Criterion Place

13_10714_is_criterion_view01.jpg

It was accepted by our council last week, and hopfully will be the start of something new. We are also building a 137m tall 'Bridgewater Place'

Tallest building ever proposed in San Francisco was the Transamerica Pyramid. It was originally designed to be 1,050', but it was scaled back because of its distance from the center of the Financial District and because it blocked views from Nob Hill. At 853' it's still the tallest in San Francisco.

There has also been talk that the new Transbay Terminal Tower will surpass the Transamerica Pyramid.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if this was the tallest (the Ren Cen might be taller - it's only 73 floors) but I saw this in the gallery at SSP: Book Tower - an 81 story skyscraper.

281detroit-booktower.jpg

I've never seen any other renderings or plans. All I know is that it was to be built near where the Book Tower & Book Building are located today, but the Depression kept the building from actually being built. It would've been a great edition to the city.

It was supposed to be the second wing/tower to the Book Tower, and was said to be twice the height.

The Book Tower is 472 ft. high, so this building would have been around 940 ft. or so. It would have been the worlds tallest at the time. It was so close to being built that postcards were already being printed, which is what the pic above is I do believe.

In the city where my parents live (kind of suburban, kind of city), the biggest building (height wise) was recenty proposed 9-story condo complex (bottom 2 floors being a parking garage) that would have a total of 586 condos. Currently, the biggest building in town in the hospital, which i think is about 6 or 7.

In Durham, a developer proposed something called "Ashton Place" that would have been twin condo towers with retail on the bottom. It was estimated at 27 stories - 310 feet, making it 58 feet taller than its neighbor, the N.C. Mutual building, and about 30 feet taller than downtown Durham's other tallest buildings.

These were done by an architecture class at OU. I'm not sure if they ever actually submitted them as proposals (since the site would have been open for development at the time of the class) but they are fun to look at anyway, and tall.

Their model of the western half of downtown OKC really shows the density!

OKC15.jpg

OKC35.jpg

^^ look at that awesome parking garage at the base.

You can look at all the students' concepts here.

To my knowledge, the tallest ever proposed in Tuscaloosa was a 27-story deal downtown called the "Tuscaloosa Entrepreneurial Complex" a few years ago, which would've had a revolving restaurant on top. Renderings were released in the local newspaper at the time.

It had no real chance of happening, though.

Archived