The Decentralization of the South

krazeeboi

ATL will continue to grow and still dominate the south as a business destination. The other cities can only hope that they gather steam and explode like it did. Now how they develop will be the question. I think a lot of people don't want their cities to sprawl out like Atlanta but would love to get the kind of exposure and growth it has seen in the last 20 years.

Hey I am proud of what ATL has accomplished. It has kinda changed the perception of what living in the south can be like. Now that the cat is out of the bag Charlotte and Nashville are growing in some part to that changed perception. I don't have any proof of this but I know having a dynamic region suddenly boom raised eyebrows. Common sense tells me that people say well maybe we don't want to live in ATL lets look somewhere a little smaller but still close......any thoughts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Common sense tells me that people say well maybe we don't want to live in ATL lets look somewhere a little smaller but still close......any thoughts

Most definitely. Look at the cities in which condo booms are taking place. It's not only happening in the 2nd tier Southern cities like Charlotte, Nashville, and Jacksonville, but it's also occurring in the 3rd tier cities like Greenville, Columbia, Chattanooga, etc.

I don't think Atlanta is cooling at all as a business hot spot. the dot com bust in over and were adding tons of jobs. We're right up there in the top 5 of job creation and our metro is consistently in the top 3 for population growth. Atlanta still has incredible momentum and shows no signs of slowing down, but I do agree in the future it will begin to share more of the growth with other southern cities.

I'd say either we're cooling or Nashville and Charlotte have made great gains in the past few months giving the illusion (so to speak) that Atlanta has cooled.

Although people like to talk about Atlanta's sprawl, I think many people would gladly put up with it if it meant that their city had Atlanta's amenities, big city feel, skyline, recognition, etc.

While there are certainly cities in the South gaining momentum and growing, none of them are anywhere close to Atlanta. There is little doubt that Atlanta is still the "capital of the South," and will be for years to come.

Look at the cities in which condo booms are taking place. It's not only happening in the 2nd tier Southern cities like Charlotte, Nashville, and Jacksonville, but it's also occurring in the 3rd tier cities like Greenville, Columbia, Chattanooga, etc.

There's even a "condo mini-boom" in 10th-tier towns like Tuscaloosa. If anyone had told me a few years ago that there would be pre-sale condos here asking as much as $1.5 million/unit , I'd have had him committed to the mental ward.

Archived