Arizona's 10 Largest Cities

MJLO

Ok it's a Saturday Night So what am I doing? I'm analyzing population data about the state of Arizona.

Here are Arizonas Ten Largest cities and the Growth Patterns since 1990.

...............................2004..........1990............+/

1. Phoenix........1,418,041..... 988,015...... 430,026

2. Tucson............512,023..... 415,444.........96,579

3. Mesa...............437,454..... 289,199...... 148,255

4. Glendale..........235,591......147,070........88,521

5. Chandler.........223,991........89,862.......134,129

6. Scottsdale.......221,792......130,099.........91,693

7. Tempe............160,676......141,993.........18,683

8. Gilbert............156,917........29,149.......127,768

9. Peoria............132,487.........51,080........81,407

10. Yuma.............83,322.........56,966........26,356

I find it interesting the explosive growth that the east valley cities have seen. Why do you guys think the east valley is growing so much quicker than the west?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting the explosive growth that the east valley cities have seen. Why do you guys think the east valley is growing so much quicker than the west?

I have a friend whose parents have a house in western Phoenix, 71st and Indian School. The house was built in the 70's sometime, I think.

Anyway, if you look on the map, this is more or less the edge of the development right now on the west side, except for stuff to the north (Sun City, Surprise) and a little bit to the south. However, that neighborhood already has a bad reputation, and really isn't a good neighborhood, which you notice if you spend time there.

The West Valley, unfortunately, just doesn't have a good reputation. People think of a lot of West Phoenix as "ghetto" and crime-ridden. The East Valley doesn't have this stigma though, and has what people consider good schools. Isn't Mesa USD supposed to be one one of the best in the state?

The same thing happens in a lot of cities: spaces, inconsistencies or uneven patterns develop because of school districts, industrial areas or just because people don't want to live what are considered bad neighborhoods.

Surely Grand Rapids has something like this, because I know that Detroit does.

Just a thought. I could certainly be full of crap about this.

I have a friend whose parents have a house in western Phoenix, 71st and Indian School. The house was built in the 70's sometime, I think.

Anyway, if you look on the map, this is more or less the edge of the development right now on the west side, except for stuff to the north (Sun City, Surprise) and a little bit to the south. However, that neighborhood already has a bad reputation, and really isn't a good neighborhood, which you notice if you spend time there.

The West Valley, unfortunately, just doesn't have a good reputation. People think of a lot of West Phoenix as "ghetto" and crime-ridden. The East Valley doesn't have this stigma though, and has what people consider good schools. Isn't Mesa USD supposed to be one one of the best in the state?

The same thing happens in a lot of cities: spaces, inconsistencies or uneven patterns develop because of school districts, industrial areas or just because people don't want to live what are considered bad neighborhoods.

Surely Grand Rapids has something like this, because I know that Detroit does.

Just a thought. I could certainly be full of crap about this.

You bring up some good points colin. Even if the neighborhoods really aren't that bad, just the perception of it does scare off a lot of people.

Well even so the West valley is experiencing growth. Growth that would be considered phenominal in most parts of the country.

But that brings up an interesting thought. Where I come from neighborhoods built in the 60's and 70's are still well kept, and quaint. Here, they are in some of the scariest neighborhoods. What causes the accelerated decay of neighborhoods in this area?

Where I come from neighborhoods built in the 60's and 70's are still well kept, and quaint. Here, they are in some of the scariest neighborhoods. What causes the accelerated decay of neighborhoods in this area?

i've noticed this in phoenix. my guess is the accelerated growth rate, and the availablity of open land for future development (combined with what i presume is a need for better zoning to forbid leapfrog development). if an outlying area catches fire with the real estate market, it can grow even though the (comparatively) older area lying between it and the city is ignored. until some kind of critical mass is reached to force the area to increase its density, older buildings can lie in disrepair with no hope of redevelopment. is there much gentrification in the phoenix metro? i could almost see it in tucson before i could phoenix, simply because of tucson's age.

on the school front, does anyone know what the 'good' school districts supposedly are in tucson? i'm apparently living in one, if the venerable real estate ads are any indication. i think i need to move...

Yeah, I think you hit it.

The same thing goes for retail, I think. Prime example: drive down Ray Road from Gilbert into Chandler/Tempe. Notice East Valley Mall, now nothing but a head shop and a couple of night clubs. There's also a strip mall across the street sporting a Goodwill store. And this is in suburban East Valley, but has been all but abandoned because it's a few years old.

School districts:

If you're speaking of Catalina Foothills: yes, that is regarded as one of the best in town.

Vail, Sahuarita, Tanque Verde and parts of Amphi are also regarded as good, although these are all way out in the suburbs. Catalina Foothills has a strong reputation as being snobby. But, oh man, they have money! You may also remember the heroin scandal at their high school, earlier this year, I think.

That basically just leaves TUSD, Marana and Sunnyside. Sunnyside seems alright, but the neighborhoods there are anything but desireable. TUSD is really a bit of a crapshoot. They have a magnet high school (University), and Catalina is regarded as a good school. There are also some very good elementary and middle schools in town.

The real problem with these "good" districts is that everyone thinks their good, so they move there, and pack in the schools. This is happening in Vail and Sahuarita mostly.

Aren't Mesa Public Schools supposed to be some of the best in the state?

That's what I've heard. Dobson is supposed to be one of the best. But I've also heard that Paradise Valley has some of the best schools.

I don't know. I don't have kids, so I don't research these things (and how can you tell, anyway?). I just go by what I hear from others.

• 1 year later...

haha i found this thread, I need to update these numbers. I read an article prolly a year ago now, saying the west valley had started outpacing the east valley for growth. Now that I live in the west Valley I have a completely different view on everything in here.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the west valley is surpassing the east valley in growth now, but the east has grown a lot in the past few decades. I have read plenty of articles that Mesa has one of the best school districts, and that is true. I remember back in the day it was reconized all the time. That has slowed down a bit, but is still good by the most part.

Archived