roll call Flint

MJLO

TwLloyd,

I remember reading that Oak Grove Assylum was pulled down in the 1950s (before the freeways). I believe I also read where it was located, but I can't remember where exactly. D'oh! I'll see if I can find the info again after I get home from work.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I decided to do a quick search....

Oak Grove Sanatorium was on the present site of Central High School and the Flint Cultural Center. It was completed in 1891. The buildings were probably pulled down gradually, starting in the 1920s (just guessing on that though).

I always liked Flint. When I was a little kid, we always stopped at the Howard Johnson's for fried clams and an ice cream cone on way back to Midland from visiting relatives in Cleveland or Detroit (was that on Miller Rd?) Flint was the closest we had to a big city, and Channel 12 was my favorite station. (Anybody old enough to remember Rae Deane and her puppets Montgomery and Dilly? I thought not ...) We were in the same conference as the major Flint schools (and Pontiac, curiously enough), so I went there for a lot of games.

Also, long before there was a Fashion Square Mall, we drove to Genessee Valley Mall (Hudson's, Sears, and 59 other stores!), my first mall.

I haven't been in Flint for many years, so when I saw "Roger and Me" from the comfort of my California home, I was depressed for a week.

Here's hoping for the revival of Vehicle City!

Toss another one into the mix. Well I was Flint resident until January. Now I'm 25 miles north. I see quite a few fluff photo's on here mostly downtown So maybe some of the photo's I have of the east and north side will be fun to post. Plus I've got some fairly old Flint Park photo's and other Flint park stuff.

I guess I should leave my stamp here too. I'm J.L., 22 years old, and have lived in the city since December 2004. I was born at St. Joe's and my family has lived over in Leesdale for my entire life, so the eastside was my second home for years (with Marathon Township being where I grew up). I stay in Glendale Hills right now and am all about the revival of this city. I don't see the city's population ever being what it was in the 50s, but I do see people moving back into it all the time. I know I don't plan on leaving any time soon.

J.L.

Ok, so I decided to do a quick search....

Oak Grove Sanatorium was on the present site of Central High School and the Flint Cultural Center. It was completed in 1891. The buildings were probably pulled down gradually, starting in the 1920s (just guessing on that though).

Allan,

Thanks a lot for the info!!! Did you find it online? If so, where?? I've looked several times and mostly all I find is postcards on ebay of it.

Tom

Toss another one into the mix. Well I was Flint resident until January. Now I'm 25 miles north. I see quite a few fluff photo's on here mostly downtown So maybe some of the photo's I have of the east and north side will be fun to post. Plus I've got some fairly old Flint Park photo's and other Flint park stuff.

I for one would love to see your Flint Park photos. There are a couple popular post card photos floating around, but thats about all I've seen.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Archived