Any updates on new skyscraper proposals?

kayman

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to the recent condo developments... It appears another upscale development is dead in the water. University Park on Lakeshore has apparently been cancelled. I ran across an article on al.com today stating that Samford has excercised their first offer right on the land they originally sold to developers for University Park.

This was one of the more grand developments along the same lines as The Capri and 2600 Highland (in finishes and price). Not suprised to see it cancelled now with the flood of condos that are available (and might I add not moving either in the market).

There were 400+ condos on the market in the Downtown/Southside/Highland Park/Homewood/Vestavia area as of today. That number doesn't count a lot of the developments that are not even "at contract" yet. Even buildings close to being finished such as Bristol are having a hard time selling out their final units.

I still think we're going to see some of the other developments fall to the side as the best of the best rise to the top. If it's already under construction (and I mean more than just earth moving), then the project if probably pretty safe. If it's simply an announcement with a sign stuck up on the property, I wouldn't count on ever seeing it built at this point.

I just wanted to add my $.02 since the Ham is my former Home(and will always be in my heart, no matter where I lay my head). I really think what the Center City needs is not a new building, but possibly another group to attract business to the Downtown. It is very apparent that B'ham is back on the move, but most of its development is still focused on the burbs (ie Hoover, 280, Trussville, etc). There is sooooooooooo much potential in Downtown, but it is not marketed right IMO. Birmingham has so much to be proud of. I have lived in many cities (Philly, ATL, and presently Charlotte) and I still believe that where B'ham shines is in its older architecture and grided street system. This type of density is rare in the South. There are only a handful of cities south of the Mason-Dixon line that can brag about such a densly grided Downtown. Those cities include the likes of New Orleans and Charleston (both cities not noted for verticle structures I might add). ATL, CLT, and others tend to have a nice verticle skyline and shiny towers, but there is a lot to be desired in the area of true density and grit. (well ATL has a bit in certain areas. :blush: ).

The Ham should NEVER be ashamed of its roots. Being on the top of the heap as cities go, is not defined by having the tallest, shiniest skraper, but rather by the streetscapes and people that make a city unique. The people and places around B'Ham are awesome. The topography is awesome. The area in Southside and Highland are awesome. Red Mountain is Awesome. The skyline ,although not verticle as I would like, is still awesome (especially from Red Mountain).

I have had some of the best days of my life (doing things I would rather not admit too on UP :lol: ) on top of Red Mountain overlooking the thousands of twinkling lights.

BIRMINGHAM IS THE MAGIC CITY, REMEMBER...

Let's get^^^ that^^^ into our focus and get a group that can revamp the efforts to revitalize our historic centers and let's put feet in the street. That, and that alone, should be what the focus is. I think we need to better emphasize what B'ham does have, and focus less on what it doesn't. Before you know it the focus on the positives will creat a positive feedback loop, that will bring with it more businesses back to our unbelievable Downtown.

One other thing that I want to say is that B'Ham has one of the BEST music scenes in the country. I am a musician and have played many venues around the city back in the day. They do not build places like the Nick, they are born out of the masses that spur their influence.

NO DEVELOPER CAN BRING MAGIC TO A CITY, IT HAS TO BE BORN BY THE PEOPLE !

Being in CLT these last eight years, has allowed me to see first hand that building towers is not what it is allabout, it is about building communities first, then and only then, can we get what we all want. :)

ROLL TIDE !

A2

I agree.....I think you hit the nail on the head. It is just a matter of time....just a matter of time.

There is sooooooooooo much potential in Downtown, but it is not marketed right IMO. Birmingham has so much to be proud of. I have lived in many cities (Philly, ATL, and presently Charlotte) and I still believe that where B'ham shines is in its older architecture and grided street system. This type of density is rare in the South. There are only a handful of cities south of the Mason-Dixon line that can brag about such a densly grided Downtown. Those cities include the likes of New Orleans and Charleston (both cities not noted for verticle structures I might add). ATL, CLT, and others tend to have a nice verticle skyline and shiny towers, but there is a lot to be desired in the area of true density and grit. (well ATL has a bit in certain areas. :blush: ).

The Ham should NEVER be ashamed of its roots. Being on the top of the heap as cities go, is not defined by having the tallest, shiniest skraper, but rather by the streetscapes and people that make a city unique. The people and places around B'Ham are awesome. The topography is awesome. The area in Southside and Highland are awesome. Red Mountain is Awesome. The skyline ,although not verticle as I would like, is still awesome (especially from Red Mountain).

I have had some of the best days of my life (doing things I would rather not admit too on UP :lol: ) on top of Red Mountain overlooking the thousands of twinkling lights.

well said. i've ranted elsewhere on this forum to the same basic tune. it's nice to see that i'm not the only person who's spent a lot of time in the bigger, badder places and found that bham is unique and appealing. those other places often are, too, but bham does not need to pursue other cities' strengths. it has its own strengths, and it has taken generations for them to accrue. when you're in bham, you know that's where you are, even if you just dropped there from the sky. can't wait to be back there, sitting at the dog park in highland or getting into long conversations with panhandlers on southside (i love to actually force them to elaborate on their stories about how their cars are broken down or their family is stuck in a motel somewhere nearby...) or bouncing around between the alabama and the carver during sidewalk MPF. bham is a very liveable place, if you make the right choices about where and how to live.

Archived