10 Favorite Things about Michigan

USA11B

What are your 10 favorite things/places, etc. about Michigan. This can include ANYTHING, a particular restaurant, town, thing to do, activity, etc.

Just think of 10 random things that come to mind.

Mine:

1. Tiger Stadium/Corktown

2. MSU

3. Frankenmuth

4. Mackinac Island

5. Sagutuck

6. Detroit Sports Teams, Red Wings/Tigers/Pistons/Lions

7. Lake Michigan

8. Ice Fishing Saginaw Bay

9. DeLuca's Pizza Lansing, MI

10. Flint, MI

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my favorite things about Michigan,

Alpine Avenue (fo real!)

Diversity in weather

The fact that it has more people than 42 out of 50 states

Grand Rapids

Detroit

the Sommerset Collection

that little park on Bostwick that overlooks the city right by the VAI

Celebration on the Grand

Freedom Fest

the view of Downtown Detroit when you're behind the dugout at Comerica Park

god I could go on

Here's my 10 Favs off the top of my head in no particular order:

1. The Fall Colors

2. Cider Mills in the fall

3. The beautiful old buildings in Downtown Detroit

4. Windsor

5. Blue Heron Wine

6. The Sports Teams

7. U of M

8. Michigan State

9. The Weather

10. The Lakes

(in no particular order)

1) Sleeping Bear Dunes

2) 10 cent deposits

3) no toll roads

4) various State Parks on Lake Michigan

5) historic architecture

6) the weather from April to November

7) the people

8) the forests

9) Vernors

10)sunsets at the beach

Ka3kab: "Hey, Windsor isn't in Michigan."

I guess I should have elaborated, I was just trying to keep the post short and sweet. I like that Windsor/Canada is so close and that it's not that much of a hassle to visit another country from Michigan.

1) The entire Western Seaboard (Lake Michigan shoreline)

2) The "toughness" of the people (in a good way)

3) The topography from Grand Rapids all the way up to Traverse City

4) The "greenness" of the State and the fantastic golf courses

5) The large colleges with great sports teams

6) Being in the top 10 States population-wise

7) Grand Rapids

8) Relatively low cost of living

9) Ease of starting a business

10) Rich history and architecture, from the small County Seat towns to the larger cities.

and 11) As someone else mentioned, wherever you go, you meet someone from Michigan. Even in Europe, the people I've met knew where Michigan was. :shades:

in no particular order...

*DA UP

*Lake Michigan

*Silver Lake Dunes

*Mackinac/Mackinaw

*Vernors!!! (out of staters swear that it's not form michigan... we all need to gang up and prove them wrong)

*Camping

*Huron National Forrest

*Traverse City

*Breakfast Cereal

*Pasties

PS... just commenting on #11 from the post above. Every time you meet someone from MI, they are all about and in love with Michigan. Like... in a different way than people from other states. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure all you other Michiganders get what I'm talking about.

10 cent deposits

I beg to differ... although it's nice to return a garage full of empty soda (pop) cans and get a $20 receipt, it's a pain to have to pay the extra money up front some times. Especially when you've lived out of MI for a while and have gotten used to paying the advertised price for a 24 pack... instead of paying $2.40 extra.

In no order:

1. 10 cent deposits (except for gas I'm a nazi about saving money and I like to take bike rides or walks through the neighborhood to find bottles and cans. I already know I'm a loser so don't bother telling me.)

2. Sports (mainly U-of-M football, Lions, Pistons)

3. Ann Arbor

4. The Thumb

5. Weather

6. Historic villages (Greenfield Village, Mill Race Village in Northville)

7. Museums (especially Henry Ford and Plymouth one)

8. Historic towns (Howell, Monroe)

9. Trees up north

10. State parks (Maybury, Island Lake)

I beg to differ... although it's nice to return a garage full of empty soda (pop) cans and get a $20 receipt, it's a pain to have to pay the extra money up front some times. Especially when you've lived out of MI for a while and have gotten used to paying the advertised price for a 24 pack... instead of paying $2.40 extra.

I look at it more as litter prevention/forced recycling. I live in a neighborhood with many night clubs that seem to allow their patrons to take their beer bottles with them when they leave, and they dispose of them wherever they happen to be when the last swig has been consumed. Frequently, this happens to be the sidewalk in front of my townhouse. There is no incentive for the scavengers here in Florida.

In no order:

1. 10 cent deposits (except for gas I'm a nazi about saving money and I like to take bike rides or walks through the neighborhood to find bottles and cans. I already know I'm a loser so don't bother telling me.)

Nothing wrong with picking up ten-centers! Many years ago I was on tour in the UP, and didn't have enough spare money to buy a roll of film. The pop cans solved that problem for me. I took a picture of the harvest: fully-loaded touring bike with aluminium and plastic peeking out of every flap, strap, and pocket.

And I had the interesting fortune to be in Iowa on their cross-state bicycle tour (10,000 people) as their container law took effect. Yes, fortune, even at a nickel each. Every morning I collected enough to pay for my meals all day. It didn't hurt that our law had been in effect a couple of years by then. I had fun explaining what IOWA FIVE CENTS meant.

Would you walk by a dollar bill lying on the sidewalk, or is that too much trouble? How about a quarter? OK, where do you draw the line? I argued with myself and decided that I will stop for any recognizable coin which doesn't need to be dug out of the asphalt (because I don't have to go cash it in) and for any redeemable container. I wish they'd extend the deposit to waters and teas and all other beverages.

Friends who've ridden in other states also notice our cleaner roadways. In Michigan, you need to pack only one spare inner tube.

Downtown Detroit.

Frankenmuth, mostly just Kern's Market.

Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons and Michigan State sports.

Traverse City (in the summer)

The 8.3 million golf courses (slight exageration)

Mile after glorious mile of beach, any side of the state.

Mackinac Island and/or Bridge

Flint

Detroit Metro

10,000,000 + people who call it home and aren't afraid of a little snow.

Dtown, where is Davison on that list. I'm a big fan of the Mcdonalds next to the car dealership, accross the street from the full service little ceasers on M-15

ahahaha, i go to that mc donalds from time to time, im a bigger fan of that little ceasars though. I forgot to put Davison on that list because its pretty much just an average town, but yeah, i actually like it here quite a bit.

Did you frequent this area at one time?

PS, sorry it took me so long to answer this, i just got back from camping, but im going back up north on sunday, then when i get back from there im off to Traverse City, so i wont be on very much for like the next week or so.

I have a long storied past with the eastern side of Michigan

My dad used to own the Mcdonalds in Davison, Lapeer, Imlay City, and the one on Belsey rd. by the Drive-in. Of course when we moved to G-Rap, he sold them in the mid 90's. Now he lives in Oak Brook and has some big title, meaningless job lol.

But I consider myself a Michigan expert, at least with it's Geography. I can tell you all about the little towns and the roads. Otisville, Colubiaville, Vassar, Otter Lake. I can go the other way on m-15 if you like. But I can do that kind of BS talk, just about any place in the LP.

Archived