West Memphis/Marion economic news

sleepy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No...there's no mall in W. Memphis. Peabody Place in DT is the closest retail, but the closest actual mall is Oak Court in East Memphis. After that it kind of spreads out with Southaven Town Centre in Southaven, MS, Wolfchase Galleria, and Carriage Crossing in Collierville all being approximately the same distances from Marion.

• 4 weeks later...

The Wall Street Journal has reported today that Marion is among five cities that are finalists for a Toyota automobile plant. Toyota Motor Corp. is looking to turn up the heat on its U.S. competitors by adding its eighth U.S. plant in the South. Along with Marion, Chattanooga, Tenn., a location near Alamo, Tenn., and a site in North Carolina were mentioned as possible locales. Toyota's Hino Motors affiliate already operates a truck parts plant in Marion. But Toyota also has major affiliate operations in Texas, Tennessee, Alabama and Kentucky, the Journal noted. The story said the new plant would have an annual manufacturing capacity of 200,000 vehicles and begin production in 2009. It would likely make the Highlander, a Toyota sport utility vehicle. This is certainly good news!!

I've heard that they've something to help take care of that. I can't remember the details, it was something I posted a while back ago. I've heard a bigger problem is Toyota being worried about finding enough people qualified to do the jobs. They apparently had a hard time filling all the jobs at the plant in San Antonio. I've heard they might be considering a northern state instead. They think there's less chance now of a northern plant going union on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly it's down to Marion, AR and Chattanooga, TN.

In favor of Marion: major supplier Hino is already in Marion, larger metro, better access to rail and interstate, no auto plants in Arkansas (Nissan's US division and Saturn are HQ'd in Nashville)

We'll see but it looks good right now.

Supposedly it's down to Marion, AR and Chattanooga, TN.

In favor of Marion: major supplier Hino is already in Marion, larger metro, better access to rail and interstate, no auto plants in Arkansas (Nissan's US division and Saturn are HQ'd in Nashville)

We'll see but it looks good right now.

Yeah but then Toyota will say Tennessee has more people and will want the extra sales it will provide compared to Arkansas just like they picked San Antonio over Marion. I guess Arkansas' lower population isn't helping it with it's southern neighbors.

I meant statewide figures. When these plants are built in a particular state sales of that brand of vehicles tend to go up in that state. This is probably the main reason why San Antonio was picked over Marion the first time. Texas represented a lot of increased sales of Toyota vehicles compared to Arkansas. Don't think there's too many southern states with lower populations than Arkansas.

Why does the state matter? Marion is just about in Memphis, so why isn't the metro Memphis/W Tenn/northern MS included in the calculus? Tennessee alone isn't Texas, nor is Arkansas, but when you add neighboring states, then I can see the relevance (i.e. Atl's proximity to Chatt, etc). In this day and age, with how small the regions are, how interconnected, I don't know if you can really isolate it down to the respective state borders.

i saw that article i think that's great. He also talked about that Toyota would be interested in building this factory in the Mid-South and one on the East Coast at the same time. My thinking is that they would pick both Marion and Chattanooga for that reason.

Archived