With all the great things happening in GR...

It would be interesting to hear how things are going for Rhino now that he has lived in the area for the summer. Dispite any crime issues, the whole area seems to keep chugging along.

I live around the corner (literally) from one of the shootings.. it really quieted down after the first warm month or so. I would like to hear how Rhino did the rest of the summer as well...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what his relationship is with is parents is like.

The social atmosphere that parents introduce there children to and allow them to participate in is the primary factor for many of the choices that they will make as a youth. If you look at many of the crime committed in the county by teens, you will find a pattern of parents that have limited involvement in their child’s lives.

I think that in addition to being arrested, the whole family needs to be put in counseling.

Additionally, from a community stand point, I think that too many neighborhoods just tolerate these types of things. They think “oh that’s just the way it is around here” when they should be shouting at the top of their lungs “NO YOU WILL NOT DO THAT IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD!” Not stepping forward to publicly oppose it is the same as saying it is perfectly understandable and even expectable.

I get so frustrated when I hear about crime and shootings. Until the ‘good’ residents step forward and actually do something about, then things will only get worse and THEY are the ones to blame.

I didn't have metal detactors or police at my school either. However, I think its a real testiment to our educational system that police & education have to be intertwined like this. Very unfortunate as schools should be the last place where a police presence should be necessary.

I guess I don't quite understand this statement. "A real testiment to our educational system that police & education have to be intertwined like this." What does this mean? Are you criticizing the educational system, or applauding the educational system? :blink:

The school I teach at has a full-time Kent County deputy who splits his time between two schools. On top of that, we also have on staff a security guard, and I teach in a suburban district.

I recently bought a house on Abney, across the street from Bethel Pentacostal Church and have found them to be less than helpful with the abandoned car issue. Their parking lot just to the north of my house has 3 vehicles that have been there since I moved in back in August - the police won't take my complaint, they say it has to come from the property owner and Bethel has been less than co-operative. Since moving in, I've made a huge difference in the appearance of my yard as well as the alley behind my house and even the church parking lot but I get really frustrated when I run into the roadblocks that I have. Forget about being a "Cool City" - let's work onbeing a clean one.

Archived