A little taste of San Juan, Puerto Rico!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jdkacz, i think some are residential condominiums too.

pdxheel, i don't think so, Puerto Rico had a chance to become a state a while back but voted it down so i don't see it happening any time soon. But if it was a state it San Juan would rank way up there and so would the island in population compare to other cities and states.

• 1 month later...

Do you think it will ever be in the US's best interest to make Peurto Rico out 51st state?

I think eventually it will become the 51st state. The colonial party has been needing the very small independence party to win elections for some time now. The statehood party has been growing steadily through the years. The biggest question is wether Congress will ever act on ending colonial rule.

A couple of those pictures showed public housing/ghettos...but yeah most are hotels and condominiums

But if it was a state it San Juan would rank way up there and so would the island in population compare to other cities and states.

Imagine if all the puerto ricans in the mainland would come back lol,the island would sink hehe

^hehe probably there about as many living off the island as there are on the island. Sad thing it's almost the same for people from other non-continental U.S. places like Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, etc where thousands live outside of their homeland.

So are the birth rates fairly low then? Cause it seems most of Latin America and the Caribbean have high birth rates because of very young populations.

As for immigration to PR i think it averages around 4,000 annually most of it from the Dominican Republic. Although, there are fairly large numbers of immigrants moving there from South America and Spain and an increasing amount from Mexico now.

^Damn thats a lot leaving, i think it was similar in Hawaii in the 90s when the economy was really bad but now the number of people leaving have decreased greatly and many people are returning. International immigration also helps alot too. There's also a growing illegal population too last estimates were roughly 30-40,000. From what i hear most are from Mexico that have been flying in as tourists and just staying once they get there. The Big Island and Maui have many.

I'd imagine that there's probably a large illegal immigrant population in PR but they are probably less noticeable?

jdkacz, i think some are residential condominiums too.

pdxheel, i don't think so, Puerto Rico had a chance to become a state a while back but voted it down so i don't see it happening any time soon. But if it was a state it San Juan would rank way up there and so would the island in population compare to other cities and states.

It will happen someday; I think it should have become a state already...the cultural and political connections are well-established, and both the National Park and National Forest systems have facilities in PR (and the VI as well); PR's freeways are unsigned additions to the US interstate hwy system, and have been since the 1980s...

As of census 2000, San Juan was the 43rd largest US city, with a population inside the city limits (at the time) of 428,591. I'm sure the number is us some since then...

The San Juan-Bayamon MSA listed a 2000 population of 1,994,454, which would be 27th in the US. After 2000 MSA definitions were changed, so I'm unsure of how it would be listed now.

Archived