Honolulu Metro Construction Projects Rundown

Honolulu Metro Construction Projects Rundown

7935640.jpg

159858435_b964cf0b64_b.jpg

Current Statistics of buildings 12 stories or higher:

[1] 453 Completed (approx.) *I'm pretty sure its an underestimate though, because there are a few in Kaneohe, Kailua that are at least 12 stories or higher.

[2] 9 U/C

[3] 2 Approved

[4] 18 Proposed

Most Recently Completed:

[1] Ko'olani @ 47 stories (2006)

[2] Hokua Tower @ 418 ft. (2006)

[3] 215 North King Street @ 23 stories (2005)

[4] Ko'Olina Beach Club 2 @ 12 stories (2005)

[5] Lanikea Waikiki @ 300 ft. (2005)

Under Construction:

[1] Keola Lai @ 387 ft. (2008)

[2] The Watermark Waikiki @ 350 ft. (2007)

[3] Nine O Nine Kapiolani @ 345 ft. (2007)

[4] Moana Pacific East Tower @ 46 stories (2006)

[5] Moana Pacific West Tower @ 46 stories (2007)

[6] Capitol Place @ 350 ft. (2008)

[7] The Pinnacle Honolulu @ 35 stories (2007/2008)

[8] Beach Villas at Ko'olina @ 15 stories (2008)

[9] The Grand Waikikian @ 38 stories (2008)

Approved:

[1] Ewa Tower - Ward Village @ 17 stories (2008)

[2] Kulana Hale Apartments II @ 15 stories *Don't know whats going on with this, haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Proposed:

[1] The World Trade Center Hawaii @ 400 ft.

[2] Trump International Hotel and Tower Waikiki Beach @ 350 ft. (2009)

[3] 2121 Kuhio @ 300 ft. (2008)

[4] Kapiolani Akahi Continuing Care Retirement Community @ 294 ft. *Unsure if this will ever get built, haven't heard much about it for a while.

[5] 800 Nu'uanu Condominiums @ 220 ft. (2006/2007)

[6] Royal Kahili Tower @ 208 ft. (2006)

[7] Moana Vista

[8] Kakaako Project @ 25 stories *Unsure if this will ever get built, haven't heard much about it for a while.

[9] 1700 Kalakaua @ 17 stories (2007)

[10] Iwilei Elderly Housing @ 13 stories

[11] New Dormitory - Univeristy of Hawaii Manoa 1 @ 12 stories (2008)

[12] New Dormitory - Univeristy of Hawaii Manoa 2 @ 12 stories (2008)

[13] Plantation Town Apartments 1 @ 12 stories

[14] Plantation Town Apartments 2 @ 12 stories

[15] Ko'olua

[16] unnamed planned by Kamehameha Schools and partner

[17] unnamed planned by Gannett Co. and partner

[18] Allure Waikiki

-----(a big maybe-way too early to tell)

[19] *Another possible A&B Project - I will add more details when i find out more about this.

Dead: :(

[1] Na Hale Kai Tower 1 @ 20 stories

[2] Na Hale Kai Tower 2 @ 20 stories

[3] Na Hale Kai Tower 3 @ 20 stories

[4] Pacific Quay Office Tower

[5] Pacific Quay Hotel

[6] Puaena @ 28 stories (2007) :(

Other

[1] Hard Rock Hotel Waikiki

*There are many projects under 12 stories that are either proposed, approved or currently under construction too.

A few examples of smaller projects:

Waikiki Palms 1 @ 6 stories

Waikiki Palms 2 @ 6 stories

Lofts @ Waikiki @ 6 stories

250-room all-suite business hotel Honolulu Harbor @ 4-8 stories

Pacific Aviation Museum Phase 1-4

New Waikiki Retail Complex

New Cancer Research Center in Kakaako

Ocean Sciences Center

Kakaako bio center

Edited by urbanguy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Hilton tower, The Grand Waikikian is under construction, because I believe they had a ground breaking on June 15 from what the papers said. It seems like Moana Vista is pretty strong to become approved because they already released some units and the site is completely cleared. I believe the Cresent Heights project being proposed next to the Ko'olani is called Ko'olua, but it probably is still preliminary. I know they have a website set up for it just to see how much interest there is in it. www.koolua.com.

And I think there are planning two more high rises that are not on the list. As of Mid June's the papers were reporting that they were proposing to put a new tower on the former Wave Waikiki site called Allure Waikiki. Plus today's papers are saying A&B are possibly shopping for a site in Kapiolani for another tower, but this one is totally at the beginning stages.

^Thanks i made a few updates, i totally forgot about Allure Waikiki. BTW which Hilton Tower is under construction? Is it the Royal Kahili? I'll probably add the other possible A&B project when the word is officially out, although, it will most likely be a future project. :)

Here's a rendering of the Proposed 720 Kapiolani Boulevard NCR Building Renovation Project

Cooke Clayton LLC, has proposed the development of a six-story commercial and residential loft complex at 720 Kapiolani Boulevard. The Project proposes 7,344 square feet of commercial retail use at the ground floor of the existing NCR Building. Forty-seven (47) residential loft units and 100 parking spaces.

NCRbuildingillustration_a1026.jpg

I really hope more of these types of projects (residential lofts atop a mixed-use base) are proposed. I think these types of buildings are better suited for the urban core of Honolulu as urban in-fill projects. The NCR lofts will hopefully be the catalyst.

Here's a rendering of the Proposed 720 Kapiolani Boulevard NCR Building Renovation Project

Cooke Clayton LLC, has proposed the development of a six-story commercial and residential loft complex at 720 Kapiolani Boulevard. The Project proposes 7,344 square feet of commercial retail use at the ground floor of the existing NCR Building. Forty-seven (47) residential loft units and 100 parking spaces.

NCRbuildingillustration_a1026.jpg

Another Update, this specific to Chinatown:

City to build housing complex in Chinatown

Source: Honolulu Advertiser

The city plans to partner with a private developer to build a transitional or affordable housing complex in Chinatown, Mayor Mufi Hannemann announced today.

Hannemann told about 300 attendees at a Chinatown Summit at the Hawaii Theatre that relieving the neighborhood homeless problems is a key priority.

The complex would be at the corner of River and Beretania, which would displace retail stores.

^Exactly, Chinatown is one of the few remaining areas with historical buildings in the entire city so i'd like it to keep it's character versus turning into a rich mans disneyland like Waikiki.

However, i do hope that the city or whoever allows taller buildings (perhaps slim towers) to be built at least in the CBD to Kaka'ako. Also, i'm hoping that we will see some new office towers springing up soon like the proposed Hawaii World Trade Center.

^That sucks it was a decent design although, it would have looked better near downtown or in Kaka'ako. I'll update the list probably later today because i have to change the Hard Rock Hotel to a rennovation project.

BTW do you know if the Royal Kahili is under construction now?

Update:

Here's what the two 12 stories each proposed condo towers in Waipahu is supposed to look like :/ Nothing special but much needed housing in that area. BTW i think that's just way too much parking. I hate parking lots its such a waste of land. It would be nicer if they could build a parking structure with some housing on top or something and spare the rest of the land for other uses.

waipahu12storytowers4zl.jpg

More updates and pretty big news:

Harbor project clears a hurdle

A private plan to develop condominiums for residential, time-share and possibly hotel use on state land at Honolulu Harbor yesterday won a subcommittee endorsement from directors of a state agency considering the proposal.

Three members of the Aloha Tower Development Corp., including the deputy director of the state Department of Transportation, Harbors Division, recommended that the full board accept the ambitious project at piers 5 and 6 diamondhead of Aloha Tower.

Dubbed Pacific Quay, the estimated $300 million plan by Texas developer Ken Hughes includes 300 condo units, 75,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, a public pedestrian promenade along the water's edge and 850 parking stalls.

Nearly 500 of the parking stalls would help cure a shortage plaguing Aloha Tower Marketplace. Of the condos, perhaps 60 to 80 may be dedicated as a boutique hotel, while others are proposed for an upscale version of time-share where owners typically have use of a unit for four weeks to three months.

Barry Fukunaga, Transportation Department deputy director, told other board members that the subcommittee, which studied the plan closely and collected feedback from constituents, views the project as viable and desirable.

"We think this will be a significant addition to the Aloha Tower complex," Fukunaga said. "We strongly recommend its acceptance."

The other subcommittee members were Bob Masuda, deputy director of the state Department of Land & Natural Resources, and Neal Otani, president of produce wholesaler Y. Fukunaga Products Ltd.

"We all sat down and thought it was the best thing for us to go ahead with the project," Otani said.

The full seven-member board is expected to vote on the plan at a meeting scheduled for July 26.

If approved, agency staff would begin negotiating a detailed development agreement that would specify how much lease rent the state would receive, among other things.

Other details that would need to be agreed upon likely include who would pay for proposed traffic improvements along Nimitz Highway, how to ensure public access to a waterfront promenade and rules for accommodating boats at the piers.

It is anticipated that negotiations could take six months if the board approves the plan next month.

If the project is realized, it would be a major step for state officials in a long effort to make better use of prime state land at the harbor.

The agency in the late 1980s selected a previous developer's plan for a hotel, festival marketplace, condos, office building and ferry terminal from piers 5 to 14.

But the $700 million project stalled in the early 1990s after completion of the $100 million Aloha Tower Marketplace that has struggled, in part because planned phases with more parking were not built.

The agency regained development rights for the land in 2000, and has been trying to find someone to finish redevelopment.

In 2002, the agency issued a request for development proposals for the piers 5 and 6 site, which is mostly a parking lot. Agency board members embraced an initial plan by Hughes that called for loft apartments and a hotel.

But over the past three years, Hughes repeatedly expanded and modified his plan, which at one time involved selling state land for fee-simple condos, and a downtown electric trolley system.

Now Hughes is seeking a 65-year lease from the state and concentrating on piers 5 and 6.

"We're finally getting progress to a big dream that was put on hold for awhile," Fukunaga said.

A potential second phase of the vision by Hughes involves redeveloping piers 10 and 11 with a rebuilt cruise terminal building, state offices, parking and 250-room business hotel designed with an iconic profile in the shape of a cruise ship.

Other second-phase plans are to remove parking spaces from Irwin Park and continuing discussions with Hawaiian Electric Co. to move its downtown power plant to make room for a park.

The agency board expects to consider pursuing the second phase plan at some future time.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of updates:

Biosafety lab to be built in Kakaako

Source: Pacific Business News

A proposed $37.5 million Pacific Regional Biosafety Lab will be built at the University of Hawaii's John A. Burns School of Medicine in Kakaako. The lab will be used to develop new diagnostic tests, drugs and vaccines for infectious diseases such as avian influenza, sudden acute respiratory syndrome, tuberculosis and West Nile encephalitis. Health officials say the lab is critical in developing an early-warning disease-detection system for pandemic influenza and will contribute to creating a life science park in Kakaako.

============================

The Ilikai -- Where Waikiki Begins

A local developer plans to divide ownership of Waikiki's iconic Ilikai hotel, after purchasing the two-tower property for more than $200 million yesterday.

*There has been discussion of turning all or part of the property into a Hard Rock-branded hotel, but Hawaii developer Brian Anderson said the immediate plan is merely to rename the property "The Ilikai -- Where Waikiki Begins."

This is what it looks like now:

art1a.jpg

Here's a rendering of what it may look like after rennovation:

An artist's rendering of what a renovated Ilikai might look like. Developer Brian Anderson says he intends to invest more than $40 million to transform the iconic property into an upscale high-rise hotel, while reselling part of the property to a hotel operator and other units to individual investors.

ilikai16yh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More Updates! :D

Pacific Quay: Harbor condo plan secures approval

pacificquay1dt9.jpg

Sketches show Pacific Quay from land, top, and from the harbor. Nearly 500 parking spaces would benefit nearby Aloha Tower Marketplace.

pacificquay2vz0.jpg

State officials gave Texas developer Ken Hughes the green light yesterday to proceed with plans to build 300 condominiums on public waterfront property diamondhead of Aloha Tower.

If negotiations on financial terms and other details proceed smoothly, Hughes could begin construction in about six months on Pacific Quay

Don't quote me on it but i think it ranges from $200,000 to $500,000+ but i am probably way off. I can't remember exactly.

Also, as for Chinatown the loft thing was approved a couple years ago but most of the buildings are privately/individually owned so it all depends on the owners if they'd like to invest in converting the upper floors into lofts. :( However, if it were to get rolling, i'd love to buy a loft down there too, it will be one of the places to be in the near future as it continues to transform thanks to the Arts community. There are some really cool joints there now and i hope the trend continues. BTW do you live in the city now?

More updates, smaller project and although a strip mall, the interesting part about it is that there will be roof top parking and judging from the looks of the rendering fairly small surface parking! So, in my opinion its good to see them managing the space a bit more wisely than dedicating most of the precious land to parking. :)

Kapahulu Safeway center to break ground

A longtime strip mall will be replaced with an upscale shopping center

Source: Honolulu Star Bulletin

art1a.jpg

Safeway Inc. is planning to celebrate the groundbreaking next month of its new store in Kapahulu.

What has long been a strip mall, home to a handful of small restaurants and shops at 870 Kapahulu Ave., is expected to undergo an upscale transformation. The name of the new center will be "The Avenue Shops at Safeway Center on Kapahulu."

Wendell Brooks III of PM Realty Group, who brokered the sale of the 4.5-acre site to Safeway, said site work will begin on Aug. 5 following the groundbreaking.

"There are signs of upgrading and changes," Brooks said. "Kapahulu is such a great avenue, with so many things to offer, and a unique character. We hope it never loses that."

In addition to the Kapahulu Safeway -- the supermarket chain's 13th on Oahu -- the center will offer close to 17,000 square feet of new retail space.

Tenants for roughly half of the new spaces are close to signing leases, according to PM Realty Group broker Kyle Arsiga. Interest was very strong, he said, and will result in a mix of both local businesses and new-to-Hawaii shops.

Rents at "The Avenue Shops" range from $8 to $12 per square foot per month, according to PM Realty Group, setting a new bar for the neighborhood.

Renderings for the new Safeway depict a sleek, contemporary supermarket with rooftop parking, outdoor seating and "art deco" touches.

The new supermarket will measure more than 60,000 square feet, about two times larger than most Safeway stores on Oahu, with rooftop parking as well as surface parking.

Completion is expected late next summer.

Brooks said Safeway's strategic location is expected to serve customers from both the neighborhood and visitors from Waikiki.

It will be in the new "lifestyle" format, similar to the newly remodeled Safeway in Hawaii Kai, which features wood floors and expanded gourmet food offerings.

Plans for a gas station, initially proposed in February of last year, were scrapped after surrounding neighbors protested the potential traffic jams it would bring.

The Diamond Head-Kapahulu-St. Louis Heights neighborhood board voted to approve the Safeway project without the gas station last year following several presentations by Safeway's director of real estate, Steve Berndt.

But not all members were pleased with Safeway's arrival.

Neighborhood board member George Waialeale, who lives next door to the Safeway site, said traffic is still his primary concern.

"They're listening to us, but they don't hear us," he said. "The traffic on Kapahulu Avenue is horrendous as it is, and now we're going to add this store."

Tenants at the strip mall have been informed that their leases will expire in mid-September.

Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins already are gone, and the space is on temporary lease to state Sen. Les Ihara (D-Kapahulu-Palolo-Kaiumki) for his campaign office.

Diamond Head Video will move to a temporary location at Kalakaua Avenue, near the Hawaii Convention Center, after 15 years at the strip mall.

A post office branch, Subway sandwich shop and discount Love's bakery also will be leaving.

JJ Diner, another longtime mainstay at the strip mall, likely will close its doors, according to owner Kenneth Lam, unless the restaurant finds a new location.

Well lets hope your high estimate is not too much higher then that hehe. The only downside to the article about the development is when they talked about the land being leased. Thats always rasises a red flag with me, unless i was filthy rich. But then again why would i bother living in Aloha tower when i can buy a place at the Trump Waikiki :lol:

China town would definetly be excellent! Minus the Merchent Street solicitation <_< , seems like its gotten worst. Oh and Parking would definetly be an issue. I moved back from seattle last December, and now currently reside in Manoa.

I like the idea of the Safeway project, I undrestand that that in Kapahulu has its older community and the people who have been there along time hate the traffic and change, but its basically the Hub of Waikiki. Its going to be busy, always. They have great small restaurants there, like Pyramids, and India Cafe and also interesting shops that i wouldn't think would thrive anywhere else except in that area(My friends Wine the Experience store is there as well). I absolutely love that area, and would love to see some low rise lofts there as well to blend in with the area. Kind of reminds me of Broadway in seattle, with less of the weirdo's hehe. :thumbsup:

^Yeah its a pretty cool area, i aslo love the mix of businesses there. Waialae Ave also seems like its turning into a cool area too, especially when it comes to food. BTW how do you like living back in Honolulu? I'm hoping to move back in the near future and just stay, kinda tired of moving around so much.

i love it. It takes awhile to adjust to especially if you came here and change careers like i did. Alot of things are changing like the people and service, especially with all the new development going on now. I see more and more people moving back to hawaii now, and i think the trend will continue. Especially for college kids who were able to go to school in the mainland.

What city are you in now? And why do you move around so much?

Edited by flyingsquirrel

I currently live in Portland, Oregon just south of where you were living. Moved around a lot because of my job worked in the semi-conductor industry but i'm going planning on changing careers and doing something different and hopefully settle back in Hawaii for good. I think i've seen enough, i'll save the rest for vacations. :D

I've been reading a lot about Hawaii ex-pats moving back to Hawaii these days, which is good because many of them bring back a lot of great ideas/creativity, knowledge, hopes and dreams to help make things better in Hawaii. These same people usually adjust a lot faster than those just moving to the islands for the first time.

What part of the island do you live in? What changes do you notice with the people and service?

As for changes I did notice some demographical changes especially in the area i lived last. I moved back to Hawaii briefly from 2004-2005 before returning to Portland. In the neighborhood that i lived last in Honolulu which was near Ala Moana, there were a lot more Micronesians, South Asians (Indians, Sri Lankans) and African Americans in the neighborhood which was primarily Korean back in the day. Also i'd say that at least 90% of the new friends that i had made while there for that year were from an other country many of which were from Latin America or Europe. Many of them were from Peru, Brasil and Colombia and a few from places like Argentina, Czech Republic, Palestine (West Bank), Chile, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Germany and the U.K.

• 1 month later...

More updates:

Phase One, Almost Done

Officials gave a tour yesterday of Outrigger Enterprises Group's Waikiki Beach Walk redevelopment, which is three months away from opening its first phase to the public. The $460 million project's entertainment and retail complex is pictured.

art2ax.jpg

HCDA approves 492-unit Moana Vista condo

The developer agrees to set aside 124 units as affordable apartments, as well as parking

art1a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some updates:

Sheraton may join Waikiki makeover

Sheraton hotels in Waikiki, including the oldest lodge on the storied beach, the Moana Surfrider, may soon undergo major upgrades, pushing the total value of recent private investments in the area to well over $1 billion.

The owners of the Sheraton properties are considering replacing the diamondhead wing of the Sheraton Moana Surfrider with a new hotel and tearing down part of the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel to make way for a new time-share tower.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts, which manages the four Sheraton hotels in Waikiki, described the plans as "conceptual" and declined to give a cost estimate yesterday. But the cost could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, according to a hotel expert, who asked not to be identified because he is not directly involved in the Sheraton planning. The Moana Surfrider's Diamond Wing may be replaced with a new, 200- to 250-room hotel, the notice said. The new properties may be flagged with a different Starwood brand like Westin.

The tentative plan would be the latest in a string of redevelopment projects and upgrades changing the face of Waikiki:

# Outrigger Enterprises Group's Waikiki Beach Walk project.

# Trump Tower.

# Hilton's Grand Waikikian.

# Kamehameha Schools' renovation of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center.

M141429915.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Waikiki Beach Walk

COST: $310 MILLION

Includes improvements to the Outrigger Reef on the Beach in spring 2006, and the 280-room Ohana Islander Waikiki in mid-2007.

CONSTRUCTION

# 10,550 cubic yards of concrete poured

# 800 feet of new sewer lines

# 10 miles of electrical wire installed

WHAT'S NEXT

$400 million Trump International luxury hotel-condominium tower, to be completed by early 2009 at the corner of Saratoga Road and Kalia Road.

OPENING THIS DECEMBER

A 94,000 square-foot, two-story shopping and restaurant complex.

45 stores and eateries. (Some tenants, such as Yard House, will open in January.)

Embassy Suites Hotel - Waikiki Beach Walk. (Second tower to open February 2007.)

# 22 stories.

# Standard one-bedroom suite (maximum 4 people), $399. Standard two-bedroom suite, $549. Includes complimentary breakfast and Manager's Reception.

Wyndham Vacation Ownership - Waikiki Beach Walk.

# 195 units

MUST-SEES FOR KAMA'AINA

Open-air, grass-covered plaza in center of the retail complex will feature a fountain and live entertainment.

M142860924.GIF

Medical Facility ~ Honolulu, HI

Sources: HighMark & Honolulu Advertiser

Located in the heart of Honolulu, this project is unique in that it will maximize the use of a site in an area where planning and density are key to a successful development.

The project will consist primarily of medical offices, complete with a surgery center and orthopedic facility, as well as retail space.

A developer plans to build a medical office building on North Beretania Street across from 'A'ala Park on a site previously slated for a residential high-rise.

Seattle-based HighMark Investments recently bought the parcel from affiliates of California firm 3D Investments LLC for an undisclosed price.

HighMark said it plans to build a 12- to 15-story medical center with 225,000 square feet of space, including some for retail use, and 750 parking stalls.

HighMark said it expects to start construction next spring and be completed within 18 to 24 months.

ProjectHonolulu.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Film studio planned

Source: Honolulu Advertiser!

M1456121014.JPG

A Los Angeles developer is proposing to build a major movie and TV studio complex in Kapolei with possible state help under an ambitious plan that would rev up Hawai'i's film industry.

SHM Partners has an agreement with Campbell Estate to lease 22 acres next to Kapolei Business Park for the project. SHM plans to build a 200,000-square-foot facility including four sound stages, a mill for set construction, offices and perhaps a screening room, food commissary and tourist area.

The new space for productions would stimulate Hawai'i's movie and TV industry, which now generates an estimated $100 million in annual revenue and about 3,500 jobs. It would also broaden commercial uses in O'ahu's burgeoning "second city."

"The need for other stage space is crucial," said Dana Hankins, an independent producer and owner of Redhead Productions. Hankins was looking for a warehouse or aircraft hanger yesterday morning to accommodate a multi-episode miniseries anticipated to begin shooting early next year. "We don't have any other big-box options."

The only sound stage suitable for large productions in Hawai'i now is the Hawaii Film Studio at Diamond Head. The state facility, which CBS built in the 1970s for "Hawaii Five-0" on 7.5 acres, recently had a $7.3 million renovation.

If the Diamond Head studio is not available, typically, productions turn to large warehouse space, which is expensive to retrofit and extremely hard to find in Hawai'i's tight industrial real-estate market.

NEED FOR SPACE

Two years ago when three TV series were in production here