99327385_51d6d443ed_b.jpg

Current Statistics of buildings 12 stories or higher:

[1] 15 Completed (approx.)

[2] 1 Proposed

Proposed:

[1] 605 West Fifth @ 288 ft. (2009)

Reconstruction:

[1] Inlet Towers II @ 14 stories

*If you know more about projects going on in the area please feel free to add them. :)

Edited by urbanguy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for updating the project proposals urbanguy. I actually grew up in Anchorage and am always interested in what's going on. I am planning a trip there next summer. So I'll be posting lots of pics when I get back. btw, that first pic of the downtown skyline is absolutely the most beautiful picture I have ever seen (well, of Anchorage at least).

^you're welcome. I agree about the pic too. It's an amazing pic and the skyline from that vantage point will look even better if these projects are built. I'm still waiting for news (or a rendering) about the proposed 605 W. Fifth too. I don't know if its dead or what cause its been at the proposed stage for a while now. :(

^you're welcome. I agree about the pic too. It's an amazing pic and the skyline from that vantage point will look even better if these projects are built. I'm still waiting for news (or a rendering) about the proposed 605 W. Fifth too. I don't know if its dead or what cause its been at the proposed stage for a while now. :(

Yeah, it would be great if that project went through. At 24 floors, it would be Anchorage's new tallest building. I cant seem to find any info on the Internet, but I'll call my uncle who lives in Anchorage and see if he can find anything out.

^Well there is some info on Emporis about it and according to the info listed its height would only make it the 2nd tallest. :( I have not seen any renderings thus far so i don't know whats going on with that project.

Oh, yep your right. Hopefully we can come across some renderings or other information soon. It's kind of hard to know what's going on in Anchorage sometimes. :)

Edited by brewers0048

It sure is hard to find info at times about Anchorage but here's some other stuff that you may find interesting.

Here's a little map of some future developments downtown

Sources: Destination Downtown and Anchorage Downtown.org

future_development.png

The Anchorage Museum of History and Art Expansion

hdrMuseum.gif

The Anchorage Civic and Convention Center

conventioncenterModel_lrg.jpg

The E Street Corridor

E Street is a key north/south corridor running through the heart of downtown Anchorage, providing a direct link between the Alaska Railroad depot at Ship Creek, the Delaney Park Strip, and everything in between. The importance of E Street was recognized in June 2000, when the Alaska Railroad and community business leaders began looking at opportunities for providing a better connection between activities along the corridor. This concept is now being carried forward with this planning and design effort, which will produce a Design Study Report (DSR) by January 10, 2006.

The enhancements will include amenities to make it a walkable, winter-friendly and unique environment.

hdrEstreet.gif

• 2 months later...

Just a little update on the expansion of the Anchorage Convention center. The Dena'ina Center, which will be 25,332 square feet when completed, is about 20% completed right now. It is scheduled to be completed in 2008. It will include:

Heated entry plazas and sidewalks lined with trees, canopies and lighting

Sidewalks link the facility to the William A. Egan Center and the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts

Natural light design flows into ballroom, lobbies and pre-function spaces

Alaska

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's some updates on projects going on this summer in our fair city:

Deni'na Convention Center

anc1.jpg

Atwood Parking Garage (with retail at ground level)

anc2.jpg

Park Plaza II (located at the Chester Creek greenbelt entering downtown)

anc6.jpg

188 WNL in midtown (retail, parking, and office at a total of 14 floors)

anc7.jpg

Anchorage Museum of History and Art Expansion

anc8.jpg

JL Tower in midtown (14 floors)

anc9.jpg

other developments worthy of notice (both in downtown):

anc5.jpg

anc4.jpg

I really don't care much to see the JL Tower nearly topped out since it's in an isolated location that will be surrounded by surface parking (at least its got a bike trail connection.. that's cool, i guess..). 188 WNL is the building to watch over any other project in the city this summer, imo, because it will truely be one of a kind in Anchorage and will experiement with the citys idea of making midtown pedestrian friendly and compact as untouched land in midtown is pretty much gone.

I really like the rendering for the JL Tower. I can't wait until that one is complete. Urbanguy, I know it's a couple months away, but I'm going to Anchorage in August and I'm going to find out once and for all what's going on with that tower. But maybe mthq can give us an update before then too.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...