Downtown Columbia pictures (caution large files)

JFER1980

Ok here are some of my collection of pictures. I of course can't post all of my pictures at once, so I will post more over the next few weeks. I will start with the downtown Financial district, then maybe USC, historic houses etc. I also have a collection from Eau Claire and hope to visit Olympia soon. I took all of these pictures within the past 5 years. Beware the files are huge, and I debated on whether to submit them that way. But I decided to leave them alone, so I apologize if it takes forever to load or you have to move around on your screen to see the entire pic. Enjoy!

S5300003.jpg

One of Columbia's newest buildings the Meridian Building on Main street. This is the tallest building to be built in Columbia since the 80's. The building has 17 floors and was completed in 2004.

S5300007.jpg

The Palmetto building (my favorite building in the city), with the Wachovia building (the statest second tallest building)draping to it's north along Main street.

S5300485.jpg

Another picture of the Palmetto building above the main entrance. You can find similiar versions of this picture in various places around the city. The Palmetto Building was completed in 1913.

S5300530.jpg

Some of my favorite shots are uncommon ones that capture parts or views of the city people don't always see in pictures. This is one from Sumter street looking at the rear of Tapps and the other Main street buildings.

S5300013.jpg

The former First Union building at 1441 Main street. The reflection shows the Marriott Hotel (formely Adams Mark of course) and the Wachovia building.

S5300483.jpg

This picture was just taken a few weeks ago. It's Main street looking south with the State House in view. The new First Citizens Bank building is on the left hand side.

S5300482.jpg

The reverse view of the above picture facing north on Main street.

S5300486.jpg

The historic Sylvan's Jewelers building at Main and Hampton streets across the street from Columbia's Marriott Hotel.

052105columbiapictures013.jpg

9879b315.jpg

The Palmetto Center building located at the corner of Gervais and Assembly streets. I took the second picture from my friends sunroof while at the Assembly Gervais stoplight. This building is currently the tallest building in South Carolina and has held that title for nearly 20 years now. The building currently displays the Southtrust sign on top and in the past was the AT&T and Affinity. It was completed in 1987.

052105columbiapictures005.jpg

The 1200 Main street building on Gervais and Main street across the street from the State House. The First Citizens building is under construction in the background. This building currently houses a live TV Newscast from WOLO Columbia. All of their newscasts are live from the floor of the building. The 10 floor neo-gothic building was completed in 1911.

052105columbiapictures022.jpg

S5300484.jpg

The Barringer building on Main street is South Carolina's first skyscraper. It was finished in 1903, and towered above Columbia at a supreme height for several years. The building has 12 floors.

040305columbiapictures016.jpg

Another shot of the financial district from Assembly street.

S5300543.jpg

S5300545.jpg

A few downtown shots from Finley Park.

3685a65b.jpg

5d8b0f3d.jpg

052105columbiapictures018.jpg

A few more Main Street shots

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome pics! I think I like every single one of them... I look forward to the rest!

BTW its called Finlay Park.

^^^This image explains why they didn't build FC taller :)

I didn't get it Spartan. Why? Was it b/c you think it would've blocked the statehouse from that view because it wouldn't?

Could it be that you feel it would disrupt the height balances of the neighboring buildings? I honestly don't like the top of the First Citizens building. I think it could have been a little taller, but also I think it looks like they didn't finish. There doesn't seem to be a finality to the top of the building. It's almost like they had to abruptly stop. They started with the more narrow upper floors which began the top of the building, but then stopped before making a classy roof to go with a classy building. It kind of looks to me like the top part broke off or the lid popped off. I think everyone was expecting this building to be a lot taller when it was being built and in turn produced a lot of dissapointment. To me 5 more floors would have been acceptable. As it stands now, it's hard to find the building in the skyline depending on the angle your looking.

I actually like the top of the building; I think it's appropriate for its height. However, if it were to be taller, I think it should have looked something like the attached:

Krazee, that building would look good in Columbia, where is it located?

Great pics, but a small correction. The building you called the Palmetto Center is actually the Capitol Center. I work in the Palmetto Center, and it's the 20 story building attached to the Marriot Hotel on Main...some call it the Wachovia Building because of the Wachovia name on the top.

One other thing that stands out about those pics...some people like to say Columbia's downtown is nothing but concrete, asphault, and steel...but you can plainly see just how green downtown is in the pics. Large oak and palmetto trees everywhere.

Archived