Seizing Opportunities In City

uconn99

As cities go, Hartford is a small place: Walk three blocks in any direction and you'll bump into the edge of the central business district.

But these days, downtown Hartford office properties are attracting big attention from investors and developers from outside the state - so much so that only one major building - the Gold Building on Main Street - remains locally owned.

ADVERTISEMENT

And now, that building, too, is for sale - and is likely to be acquired by an out-of-state firm, experts say.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-newowne...hc-utility-home

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dont know what to think about the out of town investor thing but if they are going to help upgrade the property I am all for it. For example the Stilts Building's new owner is from New Jersey and that company will be upgrading the building.

Also companies like Northland Investment (from Newton, MA), Waterford Group ( Waterford, CT) and College Street LLC (New Haven) are all from outside Hartford

There's nothing wrong with out of towners coming in. Whoever has the will and assets is welcome in my book. Like the article says the natives are too jaded and down on the city when compared to the out of towners who just see Hartford as a city with no real reason to be messed up, so they figure they can pretty much fix it. Hartford's Suburbanites have all but surrendered the city to decay. It's sad but it's gonna take out of towners to convince the folks in the suburbs what a great city Hartford is.

Also, out of towners are more likely to view Hartford as kind of harmless. They don't see the local headlines and more than likely come from states with large cities with large ghettos, and larger crime numbers. When they see a city with under 30 Murders a year they consider it reasonably safe.

Bring in the outsiders!

The locals are the ones who own the parking lots downtown and refuse to develop them. The outsiders know how other cities are reborn and locals can't see the potential.

That pretty much sums it up! The locals are also the ones who turned their backs in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with out of towners coming in. Whoever has the will and assets is welcome in my book. Like the article says the natives are too jadded and down on the city when compared to the out of towners who just see Hartford as a city with no real reason to be messed up, so they figure they can pretty much fix it. Hartford's Suburbanited have all but surrendered the city to decay. It's sad but it's gonna take out of towners to convince the folks in the suburbs what a great city Hartford is.

Also, out of towners are more likely to view Hartford as kind of harmless. They don't see the local headlines and more than likely come from states with large cities with large ghettos, and larger crime numbers. When they see a city with under 30 Murders a year they consider it reasonably safe.

I totally agree. If the outsiders are willing to make big investments to the city. I say bring as many in as possible.

Archived