Lightning over Pittsburgh

Flash

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^right out of a movie? If you think about it Romero should have captured some of that for all 3 "dead" movies "night of the living, dawn of, day of) and having Pittsburgh be the backdrop (though the stage level content was filmed in Canada) for the fourth one. Those pics are that good!

Spooky :lol:

Incredible photos! Awesome shots Flash :thumbsup:

Im curious about how you photograph lightning too, do you have some special thing that takes many flashes at once to get the lightning? Ive tried going trigger happy with the camera when it was lightning, but no luck :lol:

Thanks guys.

Photographing lightning isn't too hard really. You just have to be patient. Sometimes you get a lot of lightning with a storm in a general area and dont have to randomly aim at a location. Its usually not that simple, but typically I just do a long enough exposure to increase the chance that lightning will strike during that time period.

If you try and take a quick exposure, you'd have to be lucky for something to strike during that short time.

Great insight Flash, you may have left out an important part though, not getting hit by a strike. Do you take any safety precautions (rubberized mat, shooting from a covered structure)?

Like FLASH said, a tripod and a long exposure should do the trick. I love how Pittsburgh sits in the valley at the three rivers: the Ohio, Allegheny and (?) can't remember the last one.

Awesome shots! We get lightning with our storms here quite a bit.

Monongahela, or as us kids were taught growing up . . . two indians were walking down the banks, wind blew up and swept all their money down the valley, one turns to the other and states: "Moneyn gah t hella".

I think it means "caving bank" for all the soft hills that tend to erode up and down the valley.

Great pictures, I love lightning. :thumbsup:

By the way what I heard is that Monongahela means "muddy banks."

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&h...nongahela+means

nothing about muddy G in that search, but I can see how they would derive that, from the banks eroding and being soft it virtually means the same thing, given Pittsburgh's problem with people only reading the headlines and not worrying about the details with our stereotypical reputations, I prefer the politically correct version. Afterall Washington himself praised the river and the point as some of the most beautiful country he had ever seen, reducing that down to something beginning with "mud" in our culture that forgot what dirt under the fingernails truly means hides the jewel of a region we are. It is all semantics but thats the Madison Avenue, Hollywood Blvd. dominated culture we live in today.

• 1 month later...

Archived