2 Possible Museums for NWA

mcheiss

Now on the science museum, is this the same museum people were talking about a couple of years ago that could possibly be associated with the Smithsonian, or is this a different project?

That is the same thing I thought. I am not 100% sure, but when I was looking through the names of the board members, I saw the name Eric Parkinson. I think that may have been the guy that origionally wanted to do the Smithsonian/Theater near the train depot. So this is probably another version of the plan from a few years ago. It also looks like it might get moving over the next year or so.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But with gas prices so high wouldn't it end up costing you a lot more to go to Tulsa or Little Rock?

It would depend on how much these museums plan to charge for admission and what they offer. I'd be willing to spend a few dollars more to go to a real nice museum rather than stay here and visit a mediocre museum. It just depends on how serious these museums will be.

That is the same thing I thought. I am not 100% sure, but when I was looking through the names of the board members, I saw the name Eric Parkinson. I think that may have been the guy that origionally wanted to do the Smithsonian/Theater near the train depot. So this is probably another version of the plan from a few years ago. It also looks like it might get moving over the next year or so.

That's right they were talking about putting it over there by the old train station. Thanks for the info. I look forward to this development even if it's not a Smithsonian related museum.

It would depend on how much these museums plan to charge for admission and what they offer. I'd be willing to spend a few dollars more to go to a real nice museum rather than stay here and visit a mediocre museum. It just depends on how serious these museums will be.

I don't think it'll be mediocre. There's talk it could be associated with the Smithsonian.

I don't think it'll be mediocre. There's talk it could be associated with the Smithsonian.

Yeah I don't think it will be anything crappy. Although at the same time I'm not expecting this to be the crown jewel of the Midwest either. But I think it will probably be fitting for the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get a chance to see it but I noticed Santa Fe has a childrens museum as well. Now I know our situations are different but I'd certainly like to see NWA try to do something like Santa Fe. They had an area in the southeast part of town called Museum Hill that had four museums. They also have 2 museums located downtown and a couple more like the childrens museum scattered in other areas of the city. This is a city about the size of Fayetteville. But as I said rather different circumstances. Santa Fe is the capitol and if we though housing was expensive here don't even think about Santa Fe. Forget if there's any low income housing there, for that matter you're lucky to find much moderate income housing. That doesn't mean the city is only a place for the wealthy, but if you're not that means you live outside the city. I imagine it helps that Santa Fe is also just a little over an hours drive away from Albuquerque which has a much larger population base. Santa Fe is also helped by a very interesting location and history. It will celebrate it's 400th anniversary in a few years and has some interested Spanish history. It's also located near a number of Native American Pueblos and is also in the general area of the Anasazi ruins. But still I'd certainly like to see our metro do something on a smaller scale that has been done there.

^

Yeah, I don't think NWA could even hope to compare to Santa Fe, but it's reasonable that NWA should start getting some more developments other than overpriced houses and condos. Seems like Bentonville is the only city that has a great mix of housing, retail, restaurants and entertainment developments on their agenda.

I know Santa Fe does get a lot of tourism and I'm sure that helps them support so many museums. But I would think we could still support some museums around here.

We could support a great many things in NWA, but if they're not going to make somebody rich real quick they just won't get built. Someone should go to Springfield and ask the owners of all those museums and many attractions how they got built when they obviously don't make anyone rich.

I think one problem is just getting people involved to get things started. I know people in Fayetteville don't seem to mind paying extra taxes to improve the quality of life issues like the trail system. But finding a way to get more people involved to get things started would be nice. I suppose it's a bit like the Botanical Garden. There's public support for that and it is going through, but without a major backer it's just a slow process to get things going.

I think one problem is just getting people involved to get things started. I know people in Fayetteville don't seem to mind paying extra taxes to improve the quality of life issues like the trail system. But finding a way to get more people involved to get things started would be nice. I suppose it's a bit like the Botanical Garden. There's public support for that and it is going through, but without a major backer it's just a slow process to get things going.

When I moved back to NWA in '98 the Botanical Garden was pitched as on the verge of breaking ground. It's only been in the last year that anything tangible has developed on the land. It takes years of planning to get such significant things created.

I think there are a lot of good ideas that get started in NWA... it just takes the persistence and momentum to see them through the years of planning.

I also wish people would get more involved in learning about what's going on in their cities; and participating in making results.

I admit I used to be one of those people who heard about things like this thought it was interesting and then moved on and didn't think a lot about it. But I've been trying to take a bigger interest in city affairs and for that matter regional ones as well. Guess I finally realized that this really is a nice area and I should perhaps try to do something to help make it even better. Unfortunately I don't have $1Mil sitting around to invest in some of these nice projects. But perhaps I can find a way that I could perhaps help in some small way.

• 1 year later...

Here's an update for the Northwest Arkansas Science Museum planned for Fayetteville. Pretty exciting stuff. Sounds like they recently named an executive director and are now working on site selection. The museum foundation has already raised half a Mil for research and site selection. A web site and advertising should be soon to follow. Here's a quote from the article linked below:

"The goal, supporters say, is to build a "world class" science museum in northwest Arkansas that is both inspiring and a perfect fit for the area's emerging reputation as a center of sustainability."

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/.../172512704.html

How's that for a little optimism? :rolleyes:

Here's an update for the Northwest Arkansas Science Museum planned for Fayetteville. Pretty exciting stuff. Sounds like they recently named an executive director and are now working on site selection. The museum foundation has already raised half a Mil for research and site selection. A web site and advertising should be soon to follow. Here's a quote from the article linked below:

"The goal, supporters say, is to build a "world class" science museum in northwest Arkansas that is both inspiring and a perfect fit for the area's emerging reputation as a center of sustainability."

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/.../172512704.html

How's that for a little optimism? :rolleyes:

Great Find! I hope this continues to Pan out. This could be a first to have a muesum focused around sustainability. It could really turn Fayetteville into a Powerhouse Location. I hope this continues to get more support. Walton Family should throw some money towards it.

Based on the museum foundation's "museum roadmap" available on their website (www.nwamuseum.org) my optimistic guesstimate would be a partially completed science museum in Fayetteville opening in late 2013. A couple years sooner if the science museum was to make use of existing facilities instead of building from the ground up, which could end up being delayed (ie. Crystal Bridges).

Based on the museum foundation's "museum roadmap" available on their website (www.nwamuseum.org) my optimistic guesstimate would be a partially completed science museum in Fayetteville opening in late 2013. A couple years sooner if the science museum was to make use of existing facilities instead of building from the ground up, which could end up being delayed (ie. Crystal Bridges).

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I guess there's still a lot of time for something to happen. But overall slowly but surely this thing seems to be coming about. I am curious about where it might be located. I am obviously biased to Fayetteville. But I think near Crystal Bridges would also be a good spot as well. I'm just hoping they don't pick some spot in next to a shopping center like what Rogers is trying to lure the Walton Arts Center.

Yeah, I guess there's still a lot of time for something to happen. But overall slowly but surely this thing seems to be coming about. I am curious about where it might be located. I am obviously biased to Fayetteville. But I think near Crystal Bridges would also be a good spot as well. I'm just hoping they don't pick some spot in next to a shopping center like what Rogers is trying to lure the Walton Arts Center.

This will be a great addition for NWA wherever it's located. Sounds like it will need a large plot of land to hold a 130,000 sq ft building with associated parking and room for growth. They also want a natural feature like a bluff, cave or body of water so that's probably going to mean somewhere outlying although the Crystal Bridges site might fit what they want. Too bad they don't want an urban site- it would be a great addition somewhere close to the Fayetteville entertainment district. Fayetteville also has the walking trails and cultural attractions, not to mention a major university that it could be close to.

• 4 months later...

Looks like the Science Museum will be coming to the Downtown Fayetteville area, with a formal announcement to be made sometime in the next 30 days. The fact that this project is becoming a reality is great news for all of Northwest Arkansas. For Fayetteville, although it will never fill the void perhaps it will help ease the sting of losing the Walton Arts Center's main facility.

Archived