2 Possible Museums for NWA

mcheiss

Looks like the Science Museum will be coming to the Downtown Fayetteville area, with a formal announcement to be made sometime in the next 30 days. The fact that this project is becoming a reality is great news for all of Northwest Arkansas. For Fayetteville, although it will never fill the void perhaps it will help ease the sting of losing the Walton Arts Center's main facility.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the Science Museum will be coming to the Downtown Fayetteville area, with a formal announcement to be made sometime in the next 30 days. The fact that this project is becoming a reality is great news for all of Northwest Arkansas. For Fayetteville, although it will never fill the void perhaps it will help ease the sting of losing the Walton Arts Center's main facility.

I read an article about this in today's news paper. They said they will announce in the next three weeks. One spot that keeps coming to mind in and around the downtown Fayetteville area is some of the un-used commercial buildings along Arhicbald Yell Blvd. Knock down some of that stuff and if you build it a couple of stories, you'd have excellent views of the Ozark Mountains. I would think that would cover the desire for a connection to nature. You could have a panoramic view of the Ozarks ecosystem that will no doubt be featured in this museum. Just a thought.

This post has been bothering me for a couple weeks now.

Bothering me because it has me excited. Could it be somewhere in Walker Park? Or near the library on Arhicbald Yell? Or.... Town Branch? The Mill District?

I keep thinking about the Downtown Fayetteville area and my thoughts keep going southwards. I can't think of any spots north of downtown that would fit. I hope I'm right. This would be huge for that area.

I am going to start rumors here, but I had a friend search and she found that a commercial building and site at the northwest corner of Archibald Yell and South Street is listed as pending on the local multiple listing service. I think that would be an excellent location for the museum. And since they are waiting for the announcement maybe for the real estate to close, it would make sense that the parcel would be under contract prior to closing.

Just a thought.

This museum is going to be 130,000 SF. By comparison, the Blair Library, not counting the parking garage, has 88,000 SF.

It will have to be multistoried, no matter where it is. I think that the Renaissance site would be too cramped, althought I suppose it could be done. I think another good spot would be the NW corner of Walker Park, at the corner of 6th and Block. Easy to get to, and access to the forested areas of Walker Park.

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

The Science and Technology Museum will be opening up it's temporary location in the One East Center Bldg (former Bank of American Bldg) on the east side of the Fayetteville Square. Sounds like it could happen as early as March. No idea how long they might be located there. Probably till they have enough funds to build their own facility. Apparently there are three possible sites being considered for the permanent site. The only one mentioned at the time was Cave Springs. But I'm pretty sure I've heard Fayetteville being mentioned. No idea where the third location might be. Perhaps Bentonville/Rogers. Cost estimates for the museum are around $80 to $100 Mil. That would include a glass atrium, five museum galleries and an IMAX theater. They're also trying to become an affiliate of the Smithsonian so they can showcase traveling exhibits. They are also trying to work something out with the University since they closed the campus museum and their collections are all in storage and not being displayed.

• 2 months later...

Plans appear to have stalled for the proposed Science Museum although things can still slowly progress hopefully. The Smithsonian still isn't on board yet. All of their requirements haven't been met yet. There may also have to have some items denied because the current space on the east side of the Square won't allow control of humidity and such. Looks like the owners of the building are still trying to work out a lease with the organization trying to get the museum started. They're hoping maybe they can finalize a lease by January. Although eventually the organization might have to worry about others possibly trying to lease the space if they can't work things out.

• 4 months later...

Well there's some news on a science museum but ironically it has nothing to do with any of the ones mentioned before. Apparently it will be run by the U of A. The whole thing is being set up by the U of A and Arkansas Discovery Link. Exhibits will last for 6 months and travel to other museums across the state. Apparently the museum here will be on MLK. It's going into an old commercial building. Is the old Walmart or Food 4 Less buildings empty now? Apparently the museum opens at the end of the month. Surprising I haven't heard anything about this till the museum is almost open. It almost sounds like this museum could be temporary till the NWA Science Museum opens in a few years. Sounds like the museum will be geared towards kids but hopefully there will be something for those of us a bit older. :)

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2009/08/...fzdiscovery.txt

Archived