Baker Furniture to close GR facilities

GRDadof3

Baker cuts its ties to Grand Rapids

Although it means 80 job cuts, apparently it does not come as a surprise after Baker closed in Holland in 2004. They're old factory has already been converted to a mixed-use complex.

Real estate developers say the Grand Rapids riverfront site makes an potentially attractive residential development. The factory and headquarters on Monroe Avenue at Ann Street sits directly on the Grand River. GRPress

There is also an old rail bridge that crosses the Grand at that point.

post-2672-1150856014_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baker cuts its ties to Grand Rapids

Although it means 80 job cuts, apparently it does not come as a surprise after Baker closed in Holland in 2004. They're old factory has already been converted to a mixed-use complex.

Real estate developers say the Grand Rapids riverfront site makes an potentially attractive residential development. The factory and headquarters on Monroe Avenue at Ann Street sits directly on the Grand River. GRPress

I wonder what type of development will go on the building site? I remember when I have driven by thinking about what could go onto the site. I wonder if more appartments could go there, or if Residential would be better? I don't know if small business/studio shops would do well there, but I am not very familiar with the Monroe North area along the River front. I am sorry to hear of the lost of businesss, but excited about what "new" type of develpement would move into there. I wonder if it will be like what they did with Boardwalk?

Does anyone know if that old rail bridge is still in use? If I remember it appeared to be elevated and not at ground level, so it couldn't be converted to a walkway? Maybe a possible rail transit stop? Alright, my mind is wondering too far in the future :rofl:

I was just biking at Riverside Park last week and thought how nice it would be if the riverside trail was added between Ann St. and connect to the City park just south of Leonard.

It would be nice if this property could be cleaned up.

Wow, just think if they re-paved Monroe too!!

Does anyone know if that old rail bridge is still in use? If I remember it appeared to be elevated and not at ground level, so it couldn't be converted to a walkway? Maybe a possible rail transit stop? Alright, my mind is wondering too far in the future :rofl:

A light rail transit stop would be great. I drive that way often and have never seen a train.

We need a train cam set up to monitor the traffic.

I have had a home in the Creston Heights area for 20 years. A 2 unit home. Many years ago as the Baker building became increasingly vacant, It seemed that it would become a ideal part of the development that had made the Waterworks(berkey/gay?) a residental place to live. I'm excited for the possibilities here. As Waterworks becomes a condo project, hopefully some will move to this new/old facility. It's only a mile and a half from downtown!

Our current neighborhood is full of down-an-outers at this time. The rage overheard nightly as pedestrians walk to Tilly's for their 1 dollar beers is unsettling at best. This building is in-fact perhaps the "best of the bunch". It's right on the river! The only old factory to be situated along the mighty banks! Hell yes! Here's hoping that it's developed sooner than later!

The entire Creston Heights district is prime for a good rehab. Many homes have been butchered into multi-family residences, however the general housing stock appears to be good. Growth along lower Plainfield

(think: Sazerak, Gradens Crossing, The new gilmore thing at the old Plainfield library(forgive my spelling here and there) create hope for the future. Investors take note!

H

Aside from dying Steelcase, is there any other furniture manufacturing left in Grand Rapids? What is the main industry in town now, is it spectrum? Has a sevice economy completely taken over the manufacturing base?

I was just biking at Riverside Park last week and thought how nice it would be if the riverside trail was added between Ann St. and connect to the City park just south of Leonard.

It would be nice if this property could be cleaned up.

Wow, just think if they re-paved Monroe too!!

My thoughts EXACTLY!! The White Pine Trail to Riverside Park then what? A really bad street in need of repaving... :angry: I think everytime I run past there that it would be so cool to convert that building into condos and extend the trail all the way to canal street park. Plus, put a park where the fire hydrants are stored (across from Clearwater Place). Why does the city use riverfront to store maintenance stuff?

(apart from selling it later for $35 million) :)

Plus, put a park where the fire hydrants are stored (across from Clearwater Place). Why does the city use riverfront to store maintenance stuff?

(apart from selling it later for $35 million) :)

I get angry when I think of and see spare fire hydrants being stored on riverfront property like this.

The only two wood furniture makers in town are Kindel and Hekman, and even they're shrinking. And even North Carolina is going to go through some suffering soon as much of this stuff is being replaced by Asian knockoffs. You're hard pressed to find real USA Made furniture in any stores around here anymore.

But like you guys, I LOVE that warehouse and have thought of residential there for a long time. You could even add on to it in that huge parking lot on Monroe and make a beautiful courtyard similar to Berkey & Gay.

Go Creston and Monroe North!

I can't remember but is there enough room between the factory and the river to put a bike trail?

How could we find out if those railroad tracks are currently used? Just really curious now...

I wonder which rail company owns that line?

Baker does not own to the river. The City owns the RR right-of-way all the way to Riverside Park.

This is going to be the next cool place to live. Count on it. Someone keep their eye on the Beckerings and Mr. Rooks.

Its funny because I drove by this place a week ago and thought how cool it would be as condos.

Is Beckering even a player anymore? I thought he left the area in shame? I know his son Chris is selling properties around town.

Is Beckering even a player anymore?

I think one of the two sons still runs Pioneer Construction, doesn't he? I think his office is/was in the Boardwalk. I don't think elder Beckering left "in shame", though.

edit: oops, maybe so. :P

Archived