Question for the board (St.Marks related)

BHCav

This is a down week for me since the next summer session doesn't start until next Monday, so therefore I have some time on my hands now. Anyhow, a question came to mind during a midday daydream the other day.

First, this is where I'm coming from. Way back when during the Industrial Revolution, railroads were the only real efficient way to cross this nation with personnel and goods. During this time two different types of gauges rail were used in America. I can't remember the names of the different rails so I'll call them Type A and Type B. Type A was later considered the standard gauge and all railroads switched to this. Type B was the gauge that was used in St. Marks. St. Marks was the 5th largest port in the Gulf when both gauges where used, but later died up after Type A became the standard. (I think my history is correct but please correct me if I'm wrong)

What would Tallahassee and this region be like if Type B rail became the standard and St. Marks continued to thrive?

I know I have to much time on my hands, but I'm interested in your opinions.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What affect would the gauge of the track have on the trains that travel them? Wouldn't Tallahassee-St Marks Railroad have just upgraded to the Type A if it were such a busy port? I know Military used to use the tracks to transport soldiers and equiptment, tracks were also used for cotton and cigar exports. Alot of that died down, not sure why, maybe this could explain it.

What affect would the gauge of the track have on the trains that travel them? Wouldn't Tallahassee-St Marks Railroad have just upgraded to the Type A if it were such a busy port? I know Military used to use the tracks to transport soldiers and equiptment, tracks were also used for cotton and cigar exports. Alot of that died down, not sure why, maybe this could explain it.

Different sized gauge means a different kind of train. I don't know the specifics tough. From what I understand they tried to hang onto the other gauge and the port dried up before they could make the change. Again I believe this is correct but my history may be a little off.

Archived