Union Planters Building Renovation

cdarr

This article appeared in Tuesday's (6/20) Memphis Daily News:

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...x?&id=93264

Lots of details here about the plans EFO Residential Partners has for the former Union Planters HQ on Front Street. They're going to put in 1, 2 and 3 bedroom, mostly upscale, apartments. It appears they're going to hustle on this one...completion is set for the fall of 2007. Sounds pretty aggressive to me, considering they don't have a general contractor selected yet, but who knows. The article didn't say whether all the financing has been secured, although they did get PILOT for this.

Getting this project underway would be some consolation for The Vue fizzling out, if that is indeed its fate. Perhaps this project, a competing apartment building, helped convince the Vue's backers to call things off. As much as I was hoping to see a new high rise, I've always believed that we need to get the old, empty buildings back into use first before embarking on lots of new contruction.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article appeared in Tuesday's (6/20) Memphis Daily News:

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...x?&id=93264

Lots of details here about the plans EFO Residential Partners has for the former Union Planters HQ on Front Street. They're going to put in 1, 2 and 3 bedroom, mostly upscale, apartments. It appears they're going to hustle on this one...completion is set for the fall of 2007. Sounds pretty aggressive to me, considering they don't have a general contractor selected yet, but who knows. The article didn't say whether all the financing has been secured, although they did get PILOT for this.

Getting this project underway would be some consolation for The Vue fizzling out, if that is indeed its fate. Perhaps this project, a competing apartment building, helped convince the Vue's backers to call things off. As much as I was hoping to see a new high rise, I've always believed that we need to get the old, empty buildings back into use first before embarking on lots of new contruction.

good to see this building being developed. Hope they don't run in to any problems. This will really help downtown

• 3 months later...

Hopefully Sterick isn't too far off. The only use for it that makes sense is a hotel. I will continue to dream....................:)

I'm dreaming too. And I agree that a hotel would work best, although I could see a mixed use project like One Beale...hotel on the lower floors and condos above.

I'm dreaming too. And I agree that a hotel would work best, although I could see a mixed use project like One Beale...hotel on the lower floors and condos above.

I will continue the dream. I also agree the best use for Sterick has to have a hotel componet to it. I'd like to see it become a Ritz Carlton or a St. Regis with retail and meeting space.

Archived