Downtown east of Main

krazeeboi

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just sticks out like a sore thumb, in terms of both aesthetics and function. And it's a very inefficient use of land, as it is surrounded by lots of unutilizied yard. At least we know that will change with the land surrounding the Hampton-Preston mansion and the Robert Mills house. Maybe the city/county and the school district could work out a land swap or something.

Thats some great news! :yahoo: I really love all the big houses and gardens. Its extremely relaxing to sit in a lush garden and just take in nature...i think it will be especially nice as it will be downtown. :thumbsup:

With regard to the district one office. i think a little outer reworking can make it more cohesive with the rest of the area. definately the addition of some heavy landscaping. i think they should create several memorial gardens on the surrounding land dedicated to notables from the district. :thumbsup:

revamped homes and gardens downtown, now all we need is a big flahsy tower! :blush:

Just out of curiosity, I emailed the executive director of the Historic Columbia Foundation to see what he thought about what I've mentioned here (I also said that they may want to consider partnering with the Project for Public Spaces, a nonprofit organization which specializes in parks and open/green spaces), and here's the reply I got:

This is all great information. Thanks so much for your feedback and interest in the project. We are really excited about the possibilities! Would be great to get Richland 1 off that site - its in the long range plan. We'll see how much money we'd need to raise to buy them out.

Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

i love this area...the old houses, a few nice mid-rises, very light traffic...it's always nice to run through, although some of the sidewalks are uneven and i've nearly tripped more than once. a few blocks remind me of Charleston.

basically, it needs more infill and some gentrification on the extreme east side (how about closing the cement plant by Benedict for starters? more police patrols? fewer dead zone parking lots?)

when it happens, the Bull Street project will do a lot of good for the area.

there's some nice new infill...a medical/office building going up between two houses that really fits in on the block and doesn't look plastic; there's a few other small lots with construction on them.

i noticed a few shots of newer old houses (victorians in need of some TLC) on other forums.

i have also never had a problem with the "bus stop" downtown, and i've run by it dozens of times over the years. the problem is people's paranoia and maybe their racism.

This is all great information. Thanks so much for your feedback and interest in the project. We are really excited about the possibilities! Would be great to get Richland 1 off that site - its in the long range plan. We'll see how much money we'd need to raise to buy them out.

Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

I think it's out of place myself, and I'm glad this is on the long-term agenda of the foundation. Maybe if it were located a little further east, but seeing that it's located pretty much between Seibels House and the Hampton-Preston mansion, I wouldn't mind seeing it leave.

Since when have we ever been concerned about money (coming from a private foundation at that) when it came to urban development? :P

The Carolina King, I proposed putting a square on that site (scroll up a few posts). There is more than enough office space in the CBD, or even in other submarkets, for Richland 1 to find a new home feasibly.

• 4 months later...
That sounds great. :thumbsup: I seriously hope that they market the area after it is completed to help increase tourism and activity around the area. :camera:

Just a thought, maybe they should include the grounds of the township auditorium too. (Bose Theatre...what I'd like it to be called)! :rolleyes:

This is a great project, and along with the State Hospital property redevelopment, could become a spectacular area of homes and businesses. I'm so glad so many of the antebellum homes survived in this part of downtown. This could be the next part of downtown to boom.

This is the first thing that I could think of that will drive pedestrians downtown. With do distinct shopping district, Columbia has a bunch of destination spots. But this will be great and can help connect different areas of the city and is close to some of the new residential. Good Job Historic Columbia!

• 1 year later...

Archived