2005 Census Estimates for Cities in Tennessee

Hankster

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To get the complete picture for the Chattanooga area the North Georgia cities need to be shown:

pop % change

Fort Oglethorpe 8864 +29.2%

Ringgold 2793 +15.3%

Trenton 2155 +11.0%

LaFayette 6753 +0.7%

Rossville 3416 -3.7%

Dalton* 32140 15.%

Dalton is not part of Chattanooga's MSA, but borders it.

While your research is correct. Imagine if Memphis included surrounding towns in Memphis and Arkansas which are not on their report. Also updated figures show the Memphis Metro to now be 1.4 million. Behind Nashville but closer than what is on Emporis.

I think that jobs is a big part of the reason Nashville has outpaced Memphis in recent years--but the jobs were a result of other factors. The biggest factor is perception--mostly in the eyes of Tennesseans. Nashville is clearly viewed more favorably by Tennesseans than Memphis, but it probably isn't prudent to get into the reasons for the perceptions of Nashville vs. perceptions of Memphis. Another factor is financial--consolidation in the 70's helped Nashville fiscally by eliminating many duplicate and overlapping services in the county/city. Also shaping the financial situation is the reliance for the Memphis metro on 3 state governments rather than one. Also, state support--the state government in Nashville gives it more of an identity to Tennesseans and makes Nashville more attractive for the state government to dote on. Finally, higher poverty and the income gap in Memphis has presented greater challenges for Memphis to continue to grow numerically and economically. Unfortunately, it is typical that with poverty comes crime, but Nashville's crime rates haven't been much better than Memphis's in recent years. Yet Memphis gets the bad press (not just in town but in the rest of the state) while Nashville and Tennessee as a whole focus on the positives of Nashville. Sadly, many people in Memphis share the perceptions of other Tennesseans and flee to the next suburb over every 10 years rather than taking pride in the many great things in Memphis and trying to fix the problems that exist.

I'm just now picking up on this thread. Sorry.

To answer the question "why Memphis continues to lag Nashville in growth," I believe education and workforce quality are the keys. Nashville is surrounded by many fine institutions of higher education...certainly to a greater extent than Memphis. There is no equivalent of Vanderbilt in the Memphis area. In a knowledge-based economy, prospective employers are looking to locate where they can hire plenty of high-skilled "home-grown" employees, rather than places where they have to hope people will want to relocate there. So Nashville gets the Nissans, Saturns, Dells and so forth...but when they do, there are still more than enough open jobs that can be filled by people willing to move into town. Hence the population growth.

By contrast, Memphis has had to rely too much on home-grown employers like FedEx for job growth. Otherwise, not many companies with high-skill, high-paying jobs want to risk moving here and finding it impossible to get enough workers. And here's why...a recent study commissioned by the Memphis Regional Chamber of Commerce gave a blistering assessment of the Memphis workforce. The study found, "There is no motivation for self-improvement or to gain better training, (and) a low value has been placed on education and career development. There appears to be little enthusiasm and a prevailing 'no hope' attitude." Here's the entire, depressing article: Memphis Workforce Study

Also, as qwertycc mentioned, Nashville's status as the state capital certainly does not hurt its cause.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun with numbers

I took the growth rates for several Tennessee cities between 2000 and 2005 and decided to figure out what would happen if these growth rates were sustained for the next, oh say, 2000 years. :D

Interesting stuff:

Memphis would never relinquish its title as "Largest City"

Chattanooga will disappear sometime around 2981 (sorry Chattanooga)

Nashville will be surpassed in 2170 by Murfreesboro, 2380 by Clarksville, and 2705 by Knoxville

Memphis will attain 10 million in the year 4110

(the real kicker) Sevierville will reach 1,000,000 in 3635

Don't get me wrong -- this is completely implausible (I hope. Can you imagine Memphis trying to manage 10 mill???). But it's still fun to hypothesize.

Fun with numbers

I took the growth rates for several Tennessee cities between 2000 and 2005 and decided to figure out what would happen if these growth rates were sustained for the next, oh say, 2000 years. :D

Interesting stuff:

Memphis would never relinquish its title as "Largest City"

Chattanooga will disappear sometime around 2981 (sorry Chattanooga)

Nashville will be surpassed in 2170 by Murfreesboro, 2380 by Clarksville, and 2705 by Knoxville

Memphis will attain 10 million in the year 4110

(the real kicker) Sevierville will reach 1,000,000 in 3635

Don't get me wrong -- this is completely implausible (I hope. Can you imagine Memphis trying to manage 10 mill???). But it's still fun to hypothesize.

Chattanooga vanishing into dust? :cry: I had planned on living that long, now where will I retire?

Bartlett is now 10th with 46,954, per their special census.

The top ten as stands:

1.Memphis

2.Nashville

3.Knoxville

4.Chattanooga

5.Clarksville

6.Murfreesboro

7.Jackson

8.Johnson City

9.Franklin

10.Bartlett

I do believe that spot number ten is debatable considering the fact that neither Hendersonville or Kingsport have completed their 2006 special census figures.

-------------------------------------

AmSouth Bank Tower is lonelier...

I think Hendersonville just annexed an area that has already been plotted out for a total of 3000 lots in 5 subdivisions. The first of these is Durham Farms and it's about to start building. Plus, I believe the Indian Lake complext will have almost 1000 residential units when finished. Most of these are planned for completion by 2010.

I think Hendersonville just annexed an area that has already been plotted out for a total of 3000 lots in 5 subdivisions. The first of these is Durham Farms and it's about to start building. Plus, I believe the Indian Lake complext will have almost 1000 residential units when finished. Most of these are planned for completion by 2010.

Very true...Hendersonville is also looking at annexing further into the Beech/Shackle Island area which is extremely fast growing.

• 2 months later...

are their any other cities in tennessee currently planning a special census before the 2010 count besides these I found?

Check out this quote from Hendersonville's government website...

"Population: The 2000 Census population was 40,620, a 26.9 percent increase from 1990. Hendersonville ranks as Tennessee's 10th largest city. The city incorporated in 1969. Based on a special census performed in 2006, the population stands at 42,509."

It's seems the certified numbers are lower than either current estimate

From doing some internet digging I found this info

Franklin had a special census in 2004 bringing them officially over 46,000 with current growth projections showing them in the 52,000 range.

Smyrna held a special census in 2005, but I can

You know, I didn't notice that about Germantown, but sure enough, that is a huge anomaly. I guess it would be the worst out of sink with the estimates of any on the list in the negative direction. Are there any sources out there with updated estimates that shows Germantown with a current estimate of anything above say 41,000 or 42,000?

Germantown totals

(2000 Offical Census Count) 37,348

(2005 Census Estimate) 37,555

(2005 State Estimate) 37,564

(2002 Special Census) 40,203

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if anyone knows if Hendersonville, Johnson City, or Franklin have released their census estimates for 2006 or 2007. Will Franklin sneak past Johnson City and grab the number eight spot in Tennesee's major cities? Will Jackson remain number seven forever?. Will Clarksville snatch the number four spot from Chattanooga in the coming years?

I was wondering if anyone knows if Hendersonville, Johnson City, or Franklin have released their census estimates for 2006 or 2007. Will Franklin sneak past Johnson City and grab the number eight spot in Tennesee's major cities? Will Jackson remain number seven forever?. Will Clarksville snatch the number four spot from Chattanooga in the coming years?

• 5 months later...

Archived