Hankster

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2006 estimates

Chattanooga - 155,190

Clarksville - 113,175

Murfreesboro - 92,559

I know Murfreesboro is growing like wildfire right now, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that that rate of growth will continue indefinitely. There's a lot of factors that fuel growth, not the least of which is traffic, cost of living relative to surroundings, and available space for development. Any one of those goes kaput, so will the growth rate.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

All of these predictions of Clarksville and / or Murfreesboro passing Chattanooga could be way off target if Chattanooga decides to annex more land. Also, I have predicted that one day Chattanooga will be "discovered" by the people of Atlanta as having a better quality of life than they have there. When that happens, they're be people moving to Chattanooga in droves.

I think Chattanooga would annex more of East Brainerd and Summit in East Hamilton Co., Middle Valley and nearby areas, which failed to incorporate and up Highway 58 towards Harrison Bay. Considering Hamilton Co. has roughly >300k residents, more than double that of Montgomery County(Clarksville), a great deal of potential for Chattanooga exists to increase its population. With the consolidation of Hamilton County and Chattanooga schools about a decade ago and the need for sewer in unincorporated areas, there is much less reason to resist being annexed into Chattanooga for Hamilton Countians. Rutherford County and Williamson Counties are more likely to pass Hamilton anytime soon than Montgomery County is. The potential for city-county consolidation is likely for Clarksville-Montgomery while it has been defeated several times in Chattanooga-Hamilton County. The cities of East Ridge, Red Bank, Soddy-Daisy, Signal Mountain, Collegedale, Lookout Mountain, Walden, and Ridgeside exist in Hamilton County and would continue to exist while several unincorporated areas have strong local identities-Summit, Middle Valley, Ooltewah, Apison, Sale Creek, Dallas Bay, Harrison, and Georgetown have strong local identities.

• 1 month later...

The Census has revised Chattanooga's 2006 population estimates, at the request of the city. The new estimate is 168,293 an increase of 13,103. This revision is one of the Census Bureau's larger corrections. The city's population has now officially grown 8.2% from 2000, and almost reached it's all time high of 169,514 in 1980.

This sort of thing makes one question the accuracy of census data. I say this because if they aren't estimating the bigger and mid-size cities populations accurately how far off are they on smaller cities and towns where errors would prove even more costly in regards to state and federal funding?

The Census has revised Chattanooga's 2006 population estimates, at the request of the city. The new estimate is 168,293 an increase of 13,103. This revision is one of the Census Bureau's larger corrections. The city's population has now officially grown 8.2% from 2000, and almost reached it's all time high of 169,514 in 1980.

Who knows, most of these "revised" figures are actually the official Special Census figures that cities can do. They are alloted 3 specials between the 10 year cycled census polls. Murfreesboro has used all but one of them, I'm sure they'll use the last one next year. It makes sense, a 2000 census, 02, 05, 08, special census', they are equally spaced, and its easier to do that way. My belief, and many can agree I;m sure, is that Murfreesboro will have 100,000 residents by 2010. Average rates show about 5,000 a year move in. We'll see, but I'm 100% confident that by 2015, the Boro will be TN's 5th largest city.

While I appreciate this post, I must point out that any population tracking of the Metro areas in Tennessee is always going to be slighted toward Middle Tennessee because all of its suburbs are in state. But Cities like Memphis and Chattanooga are growing into different states. I've already seen the post for Chattanooga.

For Memphis, it's biggest boom has been in North Mississippi. The 2006 Census shows Desoto County, which is directly below Memphis in Mississippi, has grown to nearly 150,000 people. That would make Olive Branch/Southhaven the 5th largest city in Tennessee, if it were located in Tennessee.

Let's tell the truth without telling it slant...

Mempho, I report....You decide....

^ I don't think there is any bias towards Middle Tennessee in census data. The fact is Middle Tennessee is growing very rapidly and many of its cities are having to challange their census numbers so they will accurately reflect their cities sizes and growth rates, which is essential in order to receive appropriate levels of state and federal funding. Also the growth of TN metro areas (inside and outside the state) is irrelevant as this thread only deals with the populations and growth rates of Tennessee cities proper (within city limits).

I think you are seeing bias where there is none. Folks are just dicussing the facts as they relate to this thread topic.

• 2 weeks later...
While I appreciate this post, I must point out that any population tracking of the Metro areas in Tennessee is always going to be slighted toward Middle Tennessee because all of its suburbs are in state. But Cities like Memphis and Chattanooga are growing into different states. I've already seen the post for Chattanooga.

For Memphis, it's biggest boom has been in North Mississippi. The 2006 Census shows Desoto County, which is directly below Memphis in Mississippi, has grown to nearly 150,000 people. That would make Olive Branch/Southhaven the 5th largest city in Tennessee, if it were located in Tennessee.

Let's tell the truth without telling it slant...

Mempho, I report....You decide....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Times Free Press had the latest population estimates in for Jul 7, 2007. Chattanooga was the fastest growing TN city last year. Mayor Littlefield joked that he had his sights set on Knoxville.

City 2007 pop change

Chattanooga....169,884.......8.7%

Nashville..........590,807.......8.3%

Knoxville..........183,546.......4.7%

Memphis...........674,028.....-2.4%

The Times Free Press had the latest population estimates in for Jul 7, 2007. Chattanooga was the fastest growing TN city last year. Mayor Littlefield joked that he had his sights set on Knoxville.

City 2007 pop change

I am amazed at the continued population boom south and southeat of Nashville in the Williamson and Rutheford County areas. Murfreesboro, Franklin and Spring Hill are all growing at an astonishing rate. Murfreesboro will clear 100,000 plus with next years estimate while Franklin could go over the 60,000 mark. At the continued pace, Spring Hill will go from a small town in 2000 to one of the top 15 ranked cities in the state in population in the next 5 years.

Franklin

2000 - Census count ----- 41,842

2007 - Census estimate ----- 57,380

Percent increase 2000-2007 ----- 37.13%

Murfreesboro

2000 - Census count ----- 68,816

2007 - Census estimate ----- 98,406

Percent increase 2000-2007 ----- 42.99%

Spring Hill

2000 - Census count ----- 7,715

2007 - Census estimate ----- 23,852

Percent increase 2000-2007 ----- 209.16%

I wonder how the growth of Spring Hill with react to the possible sale of Saturn if GM makes that move in the near future?

Tennessee City Ranking per 2007 Census estimates

• 1. Memphis ----- 674,028

• 2. Nashville / Davidson ----- 590,807

• 3. Knoxville ----- 183,546

• 4. Chattanooga ----- 169,884

• 5. Clarksville ----- 119,284

• 6. Murfreesboro ----- 98,406 (Probably going to pass Clarksville in the next 5-8 years for #5 on the list)

• 7. Jackson ----- 63,196 (Might get passed by Johnson City by 2010)

• 8. Johnson City ----- 61,028

• 9. Franklin ----- 57,380 (Going to be # 7 on the list by 2010)

• 10. Bartlett ----- 47,603

• 11. Hendersonville ----- 47,032

• 12.Kingsport ----- 44,435

• 13. Cleveland ----- 39,190 - (My home town with slow but steady growth these last 7 years mostly commerical)

• 14. Collierville ----- 39,152

• 15. Germantown ----- 37,317

• 16. Smyrna ----- 36,582

• 17. Brentwood ----- 35,058

• 18. Columbia ----- 33,983

• 19. La Vergne ----- 29,038

• 20. Cookeville ----- 28,901

• 21. Gallatin ----- 28,747

• 22. Oak Ridge ----- 27,514

• 23. Morristown ----- 27,432

• 24. Maryville ----- 26,766

• 25. Bristol ----- 25,474

• 26. Lebanon ----- 24,103

• 27. Spring Hill ----- 23, 852 (Quickly on the move. could land in the top 18 or so by 2010)

• 28. Mt Juliet ----- 20,248

• 29. Farragut ----- 20,083

• 30. East Ridge ----- 19,728

City 2007 pop change

I agree that Clarksville and Murfreesboro will remain close at #5 and #6. However, the city of Clarksville is growing at an impressive clip as well. We were listed as the 9th fastest growing city in the entire country over the last year (the highest ranking Tennessee city). And those census numbers are a bit below what have been coming out of the county planning commission's office lately. Also, with possible consolidation of city and county forthcoming, I see Clarksville gaining at an even faster rate. We could easily be at 150,000 in the next 5-7 years. So, Murfreesboro may pass Clarksville eventually, but I don't see it happening in the next decade.

I agree that Clarksville and Murfreesboro will remain close at #5 and #6. However, the city of Clarksville is growing at an impressive clip as well. We were listed as the 9th fastest growing city in the entire country over the last year (the highest ranking Tennessee city). And those census numbers are a bit below what have been coming out of the county planning commission's office lately. Also, with possible consolidation of city and county forthcoming, I see Clarksville gaining at an even faster rate. We could easily be at 150,000 in the next 5-7 years. So, Murfreesboro may pass Clarksville eventually, but I don't see it happening in the next decade.

Archived