Southaven

sleepy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New census estimates place Southaven as Mississippi's 4th largest city behind Jackson, Gulfport, and Biloxi, with 38,848 pop.

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/SUB-EST2005-4.html

Check the chart again, here is what I see:

1 - Jackson 177,977

2 - Gulfport 72,464

3 - Biloxi 50,209

4 - Hattiesburg 47,176

5 - Southaven 38,840

6 - Greenville 38,724

7 - Meridian 38,605

Also take into consideration that these numbers are based on data collected in July of 2005 (pre-Katrina) and don't reflect migration issues that have occurred since Katrina. For example, the special census estimate done in January 2006 estimates that Harrison County (Gulfport and Biloxi) has lost nearly 30,000 people in the aftermath of the storm and that Forrest and Lamar Counties (Hattiesburg) has gained a couple of thousand. I tried to find post-storm data for cities but all I could find was for hurricane affected counties.

The bottom line is that I would not put much stock in data that was compiled before the storm because the demographic of south Mississippi has changed considerably since Katrina.

I was in Southaven a few days ago eating lunch, and I gotta tell ya...quite impressed with the growth! It was pretty neat coming down 55 from G'town to see all the construction and then the hospital pop up. Wasn't there also a discussion to add a 10-story hotel near the Desoto Civic Center? Could Southaven begin to form a small skyline along the interstate? I'm sure the Desoto County skyline eventually will be around Riverbend Crossing, but it'd be neat as sort of an entrance to Memphis to have a skyline along 55...I could see it happen. When I was in Atlanta, Marietta and the other suburbs had decent skylines that I believe Desoto County could easily attain in the next 10-15 years

Archived