New 44 Story Tower Rumor

Yankee Fan

Help UP brainchildren:

I caught wind of a large development project that is about to be announced for downtown (no, not related to anything else going on downtown; trying to head off that question).

The only details that I have (and I may be stretching it when I say "details") are that it will be tall by GR standards (45-60 stories), planned for downtown, on vacant property, and primarily office with retail on the bottom floors.

That is all I know. Can anyone verify any or all of this? I would typically be somewhat skeptical of this, except that this came from someone that I trust and they have been right every time before.

I can't even come up with a location for this that would make sense. Please, tell me that I'm off my rocker chasing a pipe dream. Or, validate this lead and I will go ahead and faint.

:wacko:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Help UP brainchildren:

I caught wind of a large development project that is about to be announced for downtown (no, not related to anything else going on downtown; trying to head off that question).

The only details that I have (and I may be stretching it when I say "details") are that it will be tall by GR standards (45-60 stories), planned for downtown, on vacant property, and primarily office with retail on the bottom floors.

That is all I know. Can anyone verify any or all of this? I would typically be somewhat skeptical of this, except that this came from someone that I trust and they have been right every time before.

I can't even come up with a location for this that would make sense. Please, tell me that I'm off my rocker chasing a pipe dream. Or, validate this lead and I will go ahead and faint.

There was talk about something like this before on the boards (go digging if you want).. with specific names of companies using the space (i believe it was financial?).. I can do some looking around after lunch.

Help UP brainchildren:

Could it be the Vacant land at Monroe and Fulton? I thought that at one time they were talking about putting the ampatheatre there, but recently the DDA was mentioning it going out between John Ball Zoo and Millieum Park. The other topic that people have discussed on here was the re-doing adding on to the Hunington Building, but that wouldn't be vacant land. None the less, interesting rumor. Is your source one or work with one of the 10 local companies named by Faust last week? Maybe this would be included in his project?

Could it be the Vacant land at Monroe and Fulton? I thought that at one time they were talking about putting the ampatheatre there, but recently the DDA was mentioning it going out between John Ball Zoo and Millieum Park. The other topic that people have discussed on here was the re-doing adding on to the Hunington Building, but that wouldn't be vacant land. None the less, interesting rumor. Is your source one or work with one of the 10 local companies named by Faust last week? Maybe this would be included in his project?

I know that it is not Macatawa or Huntington nor is it related to the whole mystery development thing. Good thoughts, but I know that this is separate from all other things going on downtown.

lol, this will shoot up to 58 pages in no time, then everyone will get sick of it and leave it alone.

No, then we'll create threads with Polls on what it could be, then we'll discuss more about what it could be. Then information would be leaked to keep us interested, and spawn new threads. Then we'd discount all kinds of people and project ideas based on "Inside Information"... then we'd lose interest for awhile, only to have new threads open when major news is released.

And don't forget The Geha.

My guess would be Lyon & Ottawa, for a couple of reasons:

1) I know several different parties have looked at something on that corner since the infamous "Lyon & Ottawa" tower, all of which have not panned out (so far)

2) We know the lot owner (Ellis I think) is receptive to selling it, which greatly increases likelihood of development

3) The momentum is now!! :D

4) The lot is NOT owned by Rockford or the Amway families...

If vacant means truly vacant, then could it be the the lot on the north side of 196 right on the river? I thought the county owns that land, though I don't remember where I heard that. If that were the case then Fort Moch's river views would be destroyed before the building is complete. Otherwise I'd bet that vacant could mean a surface lot.

When I first read this threat I assumed you were talking about the mythical 120 floor Macatawa building with views of lake Michigan since you seem to have some inside knowledge about that. If this is something completely different then who knows? We'll find out tomorrow (or not).

-nb

I was afraid that some of you might think the macatawa thing, but it is definitely not that. By vacant I mean no more than a parking lot- no buildings to encorporate or tear down, not a signficant amount of cleanup needed (there is always some but not in this case).

But again, my "details" provided above are all that I have on this. And it is not a recycled rumor; doesn't mean that it won't pan out to be a new rumor. That is why I was hoping that there was someone in UP of actual knowledge that could, at the very least, confirm this so that it does not turn into another rumor. That is the only thing that could see that would validate this.

Anyone? Anyone? Fry? Fry? (sp?)

My guess would be Lyon & Ottawa, for a couple of reasons:

1) I know several different parties have looked at something on that corner since the infamous "Lyon & Ottawa" tower, all of which have not panned out (so far)

2) We know the lot owner (Ellis I think) is receptive to selling it, which greatly increases likelihood of development

3) The momentum is now!! :D

4) The lot is NOT owned by Rockford or the Amway families...

I am surprised to hear that this property might be for sale. The Ellis family was a partner when Dan DeVos proposed the high-rise.

If there is a class-A office building being proposed it must by about 3 years before Varnum's lease in Bridgewater expires. We always get new office buildings proposed when Varnum is negotiating their next lease. :D

wouldn't street level hieght restrictions hinder a 45-60 story building at Lyon and Ottawa, something about Ottawa not being wide enough, and not enough sunlight getting to ground level?

The SE corner of Lyon and Ottawa has an 85' height limit. The building would have to "step back" a certain amount too.

If its an office building with a lot of retail on the ground floor or something, then the developer can get bonuses:

I was afraid that some of you might think the macatawa thing, but it is definitely not that. By vacant I mean no more than a parking lot- no buildings to encorporate or tear down, not a signficant amount of cleanup needed (there is always some but not in this case).

But again, my "details" provided above are all that I have on this. And it is not a recycled rumor; doesn't mean that it won't pan out to be a new rumor. That is why I was hoping that there was someone in UP of actual knowledge that could, at the very least, confirm this so that it does not turn into another rumor. That is the only thing that could see that would validate this.

Anyone? Anyone? Fry? Fry? (sp?)

you claim to not have any details at all on this, but you seem to be pretty sure about what its not. i hope you are not just trying to tease us...

Archived