New 44 Story Tower Rumor

Yankee Fan

GR Dad- I get your point, but the idea of this thread was to hopefully validate the rumor. Would your contact who was knowledgable about the incentives be willing to confirm or discredit that the 44 story building is being plan for the 50 Monroe location? Because, in my mind, responding to one part of the rumor and not the root of this thread (being the building itself) leaves even more questions than existed before.

It would be great if they would respond to that side, too.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GR Dad- I get your point, but the idea of this thread was to hopefully validate the rumor. Would your contact who was knowledgable about the incentives be willing to confirm or discredit that the 44 story building is being plan for the 50 Monroe location? Because, in my mind, responding to one part of the rumor and not the root of this thread (being the building itself) leaves even more questions than existed before.

It would be great if they would respond to that side, too.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

"Knowledgeable about the incentives?" :rofl: You mean, "knew that everything so far on this thread was untrue (fabricated)?"

No, they would not elaborate. I would love to say "you take the good with the bad on a thread like this", but where's the good? Risk a project from happening, or possibly damage future relations between the city and business owners downtown, just so we can say "you heard it here first".

No hard feelings. I only received the information after you posted. I didn't intend to lay a trap for you. :lol:

I didn't get that impression. Just trying to lighten up a slightly testy atmosphere.

Sounds to me like you have a source that you trust, and so do I.

I wonder which one has this one right?

I wonder whether we'll ever know?

Meanwhile, Rizzo's going all CSI on us.

If you're asking me to describe the tower, Rizzo....I can't claim to have seen the renderings that others have alluded to. Sorry.

I can tell you for a fact that there are a few firms around town that put together proposals for a new tower at 50 Monroe last November. I can't remember if the proposals were for the owner, or a prospective buyer. I was too busy with JW CDs to get a chance to work on our proposal, but offerred some design input. Our concept was a nine story glass box on the Monroe-Louis corner with a 7 story atrium connecting to the existing building and lots of transparency at grade. I'll see if I can get permission to post an image or two.

From what I understand, URS was selected to proceed with their concept. I don't know how much farther they went though.

I didn't get that impression. Just trying to lighten up a slightly testy atmosphere.

Sounds to me like you have a source that you trust, and so do I.

I wonder which one has this one right?

I wonder whether we'll ever know?

Meanwhile, Rizzo's going all CSI on us.

If you're asking me to describe the tower, Rizzo....I can't claim to have seen the renderings that others have alluded to. Sorry.

Calling on Yankee or his friend. I'm really interested, if it's a spire... You can get a phone that has a camera on it... thoes phones are really cool, to bad one didn't have one while seeing the illustration.

Holly Smokes!! This is the thread that won't die. Not many threads axed by a moderator, UP or otherwise, come back to life.Thus there has to be something more to this than meets the eye. So that in mind, I'm concluding that if this mystery on Munroe is for real, cards will soon have to be laid on the table or this will soon be dismissed for good as just hear say reguardless of what ever truth lays behind it.

i'm not sure how much a thread like this could hurt a proposed developement. The internet is the poster child for speculative rumors. Followed closely by it's cousin WOOD tv 8. But just my two cents. Givem the number of highly speculative projects that go thru this town every year, that this one is no different. Noone has even gone ahead with said project. A tower that is 44stories would tower over the rest of downtown and look a little out of place. Not to mention the amount of office space it would create would over saturate the market. Giving downtown a double digit percentage boost in available space. I'd love to think a large or even regional bank might be wanting to consolidate in downtown Grand Rapids. But the realist in me says to be conservative. I give this a 1 in 20 chance of even being publicly announced.

i'm not sure how much a thread like this could hurt a proposed developement. The internet is the poster child for speculative rumors. Followed closely by it's cousin WOOD tv 8. But just my two cents. Givem the number of highly speculative projects that go thru this town every year, that this one is no different. Noone has even gone ahead with said project. A tower that is 44stories would tower over the rest of downtown and look a little out of place. Not to mention the amount of office space it would create would over saturate the market. Giving downtown a double digit percentage boost in available space. I'd love to think a large or even regional bank might be wanting to consolidate in downtown Grand Rapids. But the realist in me says to be conservative. I give this a 1 in 20 chance of even being publicly announced.

Even if this project was annouced, I still won't hold my breath until I see some tower cranes on that site. The failed proposal for a tower that was to go in at Lyon and Ottowa on the Elias lot a couple of yeaers ago was a lesson learned.

Archived