Hillsborough Street - NCSU Area developments

orulz

On 10/10/2016 at 7:06 PM, orulz said:

I've long thought that the intersection of Oberlin and Clark is the most convenient and walkable urban location in the whole city, given the amenities within short walking distance. (University, Hillsborough Street, Pullen Park, Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, Cameron Village...) so this certainly has the potential to be a pretty big deal. I wouldn't mind seeing some reconfiguration of the street grid in the area to improve the connection of Hillsborough Street to Cameron Village as well.

Click to view my rather "scorched earth" strawman proposal for doing this...

Here's my take.  Red= redevelopment sites.  Connect Park Ave & Hope St.  And pedestrian street or woonerf from Maiden Ln. to Clark.  Maybe turn the farmhouse/gardens ( https://myupha.com/2015/03/ ) into a museum/park like Joel Lane Museum House?  This would be about the maximum extent of neighborhood destruction that I would be ok with.

hillsboroughstreet-cv.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There's a proposal up on the city website for the Maiden Lane land assembly and it would be impossible to state how much I hate it. These proposals for the neighborhood between Hillsborough and Cameron Village keep getting worse and worse.

It's called Hillstone Cameron Village. It's a 3 story, 201 apartment building surrounding a parking deck.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2016/SiteReview/SR-100-16.pdf

The configuration is octopus-like. It has a lot of frontage along Enterprise Street but no retail, in spite of the fact that Enterprise is supposed to become the main connection between Hillsborough Street and Cameron Village.

Some here commented that a Hope Street - Park Drive connector would be a great addition;  it's the obvious way to break up a block that is nearly 1100 feet long. I think making a T-shaped street grid with Hope, Park, and Maiden would be great but there is no such accommodation. Further connecting Hope to Vanderbilt would make a great, contiguous secondary street for cycling, a very rare beast in Raleigh.

They also don't take advantage of the proposed 5-story zoning from the Small Area Plan, instead sticking within the existing 3-story zoning, presumably to grease the skids and make it as difficult as possible to block the proposal. Indeed the only leverage to stop it might be that they are proposing to close part of the Maiden Lane right-of-way.

I sent an email to council and planning commission, pointing out that I oppose this development because it does not comply with the letter or the spirit of the Cameron Village / Hillsborough Street small area plans.

I also pointed out the two ways I can see to stop this development.

1. The UDO specifies a maximum block perimeter of 3000 feet for current RX-3 zoning and 2500 feet for the OX-5 zoning proposed in the small area plan. The current block perimeter is about 3100 feet if measured along lot lines, and longer if measured along street centerlines. It's VERY close and the UDO does permit staff administrative adjustments - HOWEVER, council should pressure staff NOT to grant such an adjustment in this case
  2. The developer wants to close and take possession of part of the existing Maiden Lane right-of-way. This is completely at the discretion of council, and council should absolutely deny it.
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 3:45 PM, orulz said:

I sent an email to council and planning commission, pointing out that I oppose this development because it does not comply with the letter or the spirit of the Cameron Village / Hillsborough Street small area plans.

I also pointed out the two ways I can see to stop this development.

1. The UDO specifies a maximum block perimeter of 3000 feet for current RX-3 zoning and 2500 feet for the OX-5 zoning proposed in the small area plan. The current block perimeter is about 3100 feet if measured along lot lines, and longer if measured along street centerlines. It's VERY close and the UDO does permit staff administrative adjustments - HOWEVER, council should pressure staff NOT to grant such an adjustment in this case
  2. The developer wants to close and take possession of part of the existing Maiden Lane right-of-way. This is completely at the discretion of council, and council should absolutely deny it.

You are much more eloquent than I, but I too sent a note to two council members (never used too, to and two in a sentence before, ha). Slightly different grounds, but along the lines of "this development is missing the point" and they are just trying to make a buck at our expense. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 2:09 PM, Isaac said:

Site plans filed for a new apartment complex off of Western Blvd and the proposed Pullen extension to Centennial Parkway.  Would be across Pullen extension from the new Cathedral.

Who was listed as the owner? (too jet lagged to go search) I wasn't aware there was a lot available for private development wedged in there

5 hours ago, Jones_ said:

Who was listed as the owner? (too jet lagged to go search) I wasn't aware there was a lot available for private development wedged in there

The project is called Overture Centennial (SR-108-16) and is being developed by Greystar.  Looks like it's made up of 3 parcels of land and is going to be roughly 3 stories in height with about 180 units:

SR-108-16_7_75-3.png

• Like 1

Greystar is Elan City Center...that whole no site plan project that seemed to slide in through State corridors somehow. I have a feeling this is a little wedge carved off the Centennial tracts in a sweetheart way for them...I'll have to look up those parcel IDs. (thanks for looking this part up for me) 

As an aside to tie together this thread and my trip layover in Amsterdam...holy crap our bike infrastructure is awful compared to over there. Their central commuter rail station has a multi level bike parking deck that must have well over 10,000 bikes parked in it daily. Curb separated lanes all over the City. Hillsborough St gets a painted lane in the car door zone and no space in the roundabouts at all. I feel with all the density happening downtown a reduction in car dependency downtown is important...quite the opposite of what the "we need more parking" crowd thinks. At some point a system of parking facilities on the edges of the dense areas with trolleys or trams to get people into the dense areas, and getting the commuter rail up and running asap will be needed to support a downtown full of 301 and One Glenwood level buildings. Hillsborough St could start with such a central park and ride facility at say the Fair Grounds or vet school. And rather than cram 20,000 cars down Hillsborough St daily you send 100 daily trams along Hillsborough and on into downtown. The car dependance point for economic stunting (stunted growth because people are exhausted from commuting or can't get to work to actually produce anything) will hurt downtown sooner rather than later...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Major project proposed at Hillsborough and Oberlin intersection...  http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article139252888.html

Tears down existing BB&T bank and saves all existing buildings except duplex at 126 Groveland Ave.

Two 7-story buildings.  Townhomes wrap the north and east edges abutting the neighborhood.  (Converts the alley to a residential street).  And 3 story triangular building filling the site at the southeast side.

hillsborough-oberlin.jpg

hillsborough-oberlin-site.JPG

• Like 3

I really like it. Best possible outcome for the area. Construction will be tricky such that the existing businesses are not heavily impacted. Holy hell did I get into an argument about setbacks with some people on FB (I personally don't think there is any problem with this project as designed ...bring the buildings right up to the sidewalk like the urban corner that it is and has been for 90 years)

Seven story buildings can't be built of matchsticks and kindling. Sign me up!

The part of the building above Dave's/Darryl's seems a bit expensive and unnecessary, given how little SD it actually adds compared to the rest of the project. But whatever, I'm fine with it.

14 hours ago, orulz said:

Seven story buildings can't be built of matchsticks and kindling. Sign me up!

Oops, I missed this part about the part in the existing PR parking lot...  ▪  A five-story, 70,000-square-foot apartment building with about 75 units, at the site now occupied by a parking lot and a two-story duplex across the street from the Player’s Retreat.

Hopefully they and all developers are learning lessons from Metropolitan fire.

Oh, and also this project proposes a 3-level underground parking garage - presumably under the buildings going at the BB&T and PR parking lots?  That will be difficult for sure.

Edited by Green_man

On 3/21/2017 at 8:25 AM, Green_man said:

Oops, I missed this part about the part in the existing PR parking lot...  ▪  A five-story, 70,000-square-foot apartment building with about 75 units, at the site now occupied by a parking lot and a two-story duplex across the street from the Player’s Retreat.

Hopefully they and all developers are learning lessons from Metropolitan fire.

Oh, and also this project proposes a 3-level underground parking garage - presumably under the buildings going at the BB&T and PR parking lots?  That will be difficult for sure.

The feed on FB confirmed you are right about where the underground parking is going. 

Ditto Orulz...I am actually excited about this project, and agree with 'Raleigh' that this could very well preserve PR for eternity. If I can just get Cup a Joe preserved forever, I might just stay here...

• 2 weeks later...

The Hillsborough Lofts project (7 story building next to the bowling alley-> Target).  Been on hold at the 2nd floor for what 2 years?  I just noticed yesterday that now the steel stud framing that had been installed at the 2nd floor is now gone, likely from too long exposure to the weather.  Just interesting that its the first sign of anything at the site.  Anybody know of the status?  Last I heard the developer was suing the general contractor.

Haven't heard anything. I think the framing was removed three or four months ago. I look up at it every time I drive by (3-4 times a week) looking for any noticeable change, and other than the spinning crane, that's all I have seen. Too bad....that gaping hole sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...

slightly improved site plan was submitted recently for the Hillstone project at 305 Oberlin (Basically, the maiden lane apartments complex.)

The east-west pedestrian corridor through the site, that was previously meandering and useless, is now arrow-straight clear from Enterprise to Oberlin, and the complex is divided into two buildings on either side of this corridor.

I personally would like to see this east-west corridor opened to vehicular traffic, and also see Maiden Lane punched through northward to the corridor. In fact, mostly just NOT ABANDONING MAIDEN LANE will achieve that. The developers wouldn't have submitted this revised site plan unless the city was unsatisfied with their first submission. Hopefully the city keeps pushing them for more improvements.