Hillsborough Street - NCSU Area developments

orulz

Putting aside my historic bias for a moment, the original thought one of y'all had to connect Park to Hope makes the most sense. You could get a nice proper urban intersection here with some apartment balconies overlooking a treelined sidewalk a block from two good commercial areas (CV and Hillsborough). Why the City won't just say FU and dictate this sort of stuff is beyond me. Developers should have essentially zero say so in how the street network manifests and yet they continue to have too much say so in how the dog wags its tail around here. 

11 hours ago, Jones_ said:

Developers should have essentially zero say so in how the street network manifests and yet they continue to have too much say so in how the dog wags its tail around here. 

An observation that's just as true on the frontier of the city's ETJ as it is ITB.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Updates:

• Construction started on 109 Park Ave Apartments (4 floors, 83 units).  
  • Construction started on the apartments replacing Velvet Cloak Inn
  • Players' Retreat area redevelopment back to the drawing board after development team falls apart.
  • Rezoning getting close to approval for 5-story apartment bldg at Hillsborough and Bagwell.  Sad to lose the house at 6 Bagwell Ave.

11 hours ago, Green_man said:
  • Rezoning getting close to approval for 5-story apartment bldg at Hillsborough and Bagwell.  Sad to lose the house at 6 Bagwell Ave.

Are you sure they're going to tear down the house on 6 Bagwell? The conditions say "No new vertical construction." That could mean one of two things. 1. they are going to tear it down and use it as a parking lot, or 2. they are going to keep the house.

FWIW this is the first I'd heard of that house being torn down. I suppose even if it is, the next two houses up Bagwell are exact copies of the 6 Bagwell. As an aside, Hillsborough St density is or will be creeping back to Clark in several places now....

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 8:41 AM, Green_man said:

Demo work in progress at Maiden Lane behind the Aloft.

I went by this morning and its those two houses that are not part of the big apartment project (though those are soon too I imagine). They are being deconstructed, it appears, to salvage all the historically in-demand materials. Naturally I hopped the hopped the fence an took some pictures inside the house the is still standing (the Victorian one...the Hill house...wife and son of Confederate general D.H. Hill lived there..is already 100% gone). So two of the three oldest remaining houses left in the NC State (built in 1893 and 1895) area are being wiped away for some POS apartments. Oldest remaining is the NC Agricultural experiment on Vanderbilt 1881. FWIW, the oldest I am aware of out that way in recent times was the Wilmont house, which was sitting behind Bean Sprout (moved there from somewhere close, but I haven't figured out where) but demolished about 5 years ago. It was antebellum, probably 1850's. All this just to spread the gravity of the loss that is happening. Off the top of my head over 30 houses built before the Depression have been, or will be soon, torn down in less than 10 years. If you want a funky, interesting town, you do not need 50 story buildings...you need these old neighborhoods and their fabric. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DPK said:

I hope some of that wood and stairs are salvaged.

I got the feeling the slow deconstruction process was to salvage things. I did see bricks palleted, but didn't see for myself anything else...but if they weren't saving stuff the houses just would have bee smashed to bits in like 30 minutes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, strangely (if true), the core of the Brewer House (the more ornate of the two coming down) appears to have its core on skids to be moved. I can't even imagine what the plan is if that is what is going on. Rebuild a bunch of it using the core and salvaged details, somewhere else? If anyone is in the area, stick your head up onto Maiden Lane and take a look for me(I'll be away fro a few days)...

9 minutes ago, CHGuy said:

Preservation NC is relocating their offices to Oberlin Rd.  In the process, they will move a house on their site and move a house to their site.  Maybe this house is the one that they are moving to their site.  Just a guess.

The other house they are moving is also on Oberlin about a block away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Site Review Plans submitted for 3-story, 15 unit apartment building  at 103 Park Ave, and  4-story, 16 unit apartment building at 104 Ashe Ave.  Developments look to be related to one another and appear to share the pool of 104 Ashe.

And the Site Review Plan resubmitted for The Standard  (3101 Hillsborough).  Just as expected, with so much focus on saving the tractor sign and no mentions of saving the perfectly good building, they show the sign repurposed above the leasing office on the most generic bland new building possible.

the standard site plan.JPG

the standard hillsborough st elevation.JPG

Like this is the dumbest way they could possibly try to preserve any kind of history or character.  Might as well put the sign on top of the NEHI building, Cup A Joe, or some other building rather than on this bland piece of crap that makes no attempt at any character or interesting qualities.

• Like 1

Yeah, putting the sign there like that is kind of stupid.

I do have to wonder, though, if there isn't another factor at play behind the lack of a push to keep the building. Most of Hillsborough by NCSU has a roughly 75' right-of-way, but in this vicinity there was a stretch where it was 60' wide. Since the buildings replaced by Stanhope came down, the Carolina Equipment Company / Lulu building  has been the only remnant of that bottleneck. By tearing it down, the entire corridor gains some breathing room. Not necessarily for new traffic lanes, but certainly for sidewalks and on-street parking and such. To me, after Stanhope went up, it was almost Hillsborough's "manifest destiny" to get opened up.

Not necessarily saying it's a good thing, just saying this may have played a role.