Hillsborough Street - NCSU Area developments

orulz

On 3/14/2018 at 4:29 PM, orulz said:

There is a rezoning submittal for the corner of Hillsborough and Turner - the south side of Hillsborough between Arby's and the Duke Energy building. They are asking for an increase from three to five stories. I predict what they are planning here starts with the letter "F".

And ends with an "..ive story stick built student apartments". 

Site plans are available for review. 5 stories facing Hillsborough with one level of parking below. It's actually condos instead of apartments. The unit mix at 93 units: 59 1br, 28 2br, 6 3br suggests that it's not heavily targeted at students.  No retail but that doesn't really bother me. There's plenty of room for that as the lots closer to Gorman get redeveloped.  All in all not a terrible project, but the design is predictably blah. My main complaint is that the windows seem too few/too small. The back 1/3 of the property will be a parking lot but that's fine because it's under some high voltage power lines and there's not much else you can do with that.

3411hillsborough.gif

• Like 1

That window design seems to be popping up more and more lately as a cheap, sort-of-modernist standard. 2/3 unopening single pane, 2/9 a crank panel, and 1/9 a pop open  (whatever you actually call those). Were I designing Hillsborough St from day one, this is probably what I'd put here...medium height residential building fronting the street, walking distance to other retail. As an aside, I do wish the bike lane made it all the way to Gorman and on to Meredith to get the proper urban tie-in....it's time the sort of warehouse area that is the Royal Bakery complex and Raleigh Brewing, to be connected up to where this condo building is going and on to the rest of the city. 

34 minutes ago, ctl said:

I'm beginning to wonder why Hillsborough wasn't made bus/bike/taxi/Uber/Lyft/pedestrian-only between Brooks and Pullen.

That would be interesting State and students kind of "own" Hillsborough already,  but bet people on Clark Av would have a stoke.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ctl said:

I'm beginning to wonder why Hillsborough wasn't made bus/bike/taxi/Uber/Lyft/pedestrian-only between Brooks and Pullen.

If Clark connected from Dixie to Brooks and somehow was the major alternate coming from Gorman/Faircloth, it might be that way. But as is, it's not a good alternate route except for us folks willing to tip toe through the many turns involved in bypassing Hillsborough coming from downtown proper. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Merthecat said:

Honestly, that second building isn't so bad. 

But the first?  Bleh . . . :wacko:

The two photos of renderings (third and fourth in the post) where the bait. The 'new renderings' (1st and 2nd in the post) are the switch...switched to the same garbage that maxes occupancy while minimizing cost so as to max profit for the REIT boyz. Our city is being cheapified,  homogenized, and price gouged (the opposite three of what it was in this area...funny how cheap and homogeneous used to at least get us affordable) to the saddest possible state you could arrive at. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

The two photos of renderings (third and fourth in the post) where the bait. The 'new renderings' (1st and 2nd in the post) are the switch...switched to the same garbage that maxes occupancy while minimizing cost so as to max profit for the REIT boyz. Our city is being cheapified,  homogenized, and price gouged (the opposite three of what it was in this area...funny how cheap and homogeneous used to at least get us affordable) to the saddest possible state you could arrive at. 

Wait, that's the same development?  Good grief . . . what a letdown.  That kind of bait-and-switch tactic is just not acceptable.

13 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

Wait, that's the same development?  Good grief . . . what a letdown.  That kind of bait-and-switch tactic is just not acceptable.

Yes, sorry should have clarified.  1st and 3rd images are the same building and 2nd and 4th are same building.  I haven't really followed this that closely, so I'm not sure when it got changed or who was notified or approved.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:02 PM, Green_man said:

Yes, sorry should have clarified.  1st and 3rd images are the same building and 2nd and 4th are same building.  I haven't really followed this that closely, so I'm not sure when it got changed or who was notified or approved.

Wait what?  Those are the same buildings?  How is this allowed?  The updated ones look cookie cutter crap.

• Like 1

FWIW the demolition fence is up for the project going in right on the corner of Enterprise and Clark. That's the one project where I have no objection to the buildings being lost. As an interesting aside, the modernist townhouses going in next to that (Clark/Chamberlin) have had the new curb mostly set wider than before, but right at the property line for the newly fenced project I mentioned it narrows the road back again. It's always been a little of a weird choke point between Enterprise and Chamberlin...not room for on street parking or additional lanes for turning or whatever...and it looked like the City was going to address it and then went, nah, ain't fixing sh&$. 

• 2 months later...

The North Hall parking lot sure is a sore thumb. NCSU was talking about doing something with that a few years back, I wonder if they will ever follow through. l also wonder if/when somebody will take over the Hillsborough Lofts site. Eventually that crane will need to come down, hopefully not due to lack of maintenance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orulz said:

The North Hall parking lot sure is a sore thumb. NCSU was talking about doing something with that a few years back, I wonder if they will ever follow through. 

It's always been on the masterplan for a parking deck there.  As part of our senior design project in Civil Engineering, we 'designed' a parking deck for the North Hall parking lot.  We choose to include ground floor retail and wrap the parking levels with office spaces.  Included a ped bridge connecting the 2nd floor across Hillsborough St to Caldwell Hall.  This was in 2008. 

• Like 2