Hillsborough Street - NCSU Area developments

orulz

Article from the NC State Technician: Hillsborough Street sees multi-million dollar investments

Nothing groundbreaking but some info from the Live it Up! Hillsborough Street folks.

I saw this the last time I was in Raleigh.  Does State have much land on the main campus to build more projects like this.

When my son was in State  and go there now  it has  changed and has been in building boom.

I would say main campus is essentially built out, assuming the handful of open spaces get left alone (belltower area, court of the Carolinas, remaining brickyard). Harrelson is going to bite the dust soon so perhaps other 1950's and 60's era stuff could get replaced as well over time…have't seen a master plan in years…would be interested in seeing one...

Edited by Jones_

I just don't see city council blocking two or three 20 story buildings from being constructed because someone's view is going to be blocked. That area is getting ready to explode with construction and the Hue and Dawson will be right in the middle of it. I see the PD/city hall block redeveloped in the next 10 years. Harrington Street from Dillon Supply to the greyhound lot could see alot of growth.

I just don't see city council blocking two or three 20 story buildings from being constructed because someone's view is going to be blocked. That area is getting ready to explode with construction and the Hue and Dawson will be right in the middle of it. I see the PD/city hall block redeveloped in the next 10 years. Harrington Street from Dillon Supply to the greyhound lot could see alot of growth.

From what I gather, some of the homeowners from the Dawson ranted and raved at the committee meeting, but in the end they still voted to approve the rezoning request. I think that Raleigh is looking at the big picture here.

Edited by RALNATIVE

The planning commision usually pretty developer friendly. It is also appointed and as such is not generally as responsive to neighborhood concerns as council. Councilors who have voter support on the line may be more likely to listen to interest groups like this.

• 3 weeks later...

Raleigh Public Record mentions a plan submitted to the City for the parking lot on Hillsborough St between old Locopops and the roundabout.  5 floors, 54 unit apartments, bottom floor as shown on the site plan is parking and 1 retail space next to the Locopops space.  Looks like the 4 floors above are in the shape of a C.  Definitely will create some unique floorplans.

It seems only a matter of time until Wardlaw building & 2020 Hillsborough site are developed into mid-rise mixed-use as well.

Also recently posted on the development activity page, the first time I've seen the actual site plan of the Stanhope development. It is posted in the context that CVS is requesting permission to screen a few windows facing Friendly Drive so that they can site the pharmacy there. This means that the building won't meet the transparency requirements along Friendly per the UDO.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2015/AdministrativeAlternate/AAD-001-15.pdf

NewCity has this one too. Interesting. They do ok with the the sort of modern looking stuff. I'm wondering....is there a comparable student strip anywhere I can look at to what Hillsborough St will look like when all these proposals are done? I've been in plenty of student neighborhoods of carved up victorians and 1920's brick quads but nothing like the shiny single strip we have going here. I can't quite decide if this is going to be too many students all in one place without University policies in place or if the relative lack of nearby rundown areas will ensure Hillsborough stays nice in the long run. 

I am not quite sure where to put this, but there is an effort afoot in the legislature to do away with protest petitions. The idea of a protest petition is that if a certain percentage of surrounding property owners objects to a development, they can file a protest petition, which makes approval by a supermajority of council necessary. This is a republican effort but I have a feeling that it will find a sympathetic ear among the generally pro-development group of Urban Planet posters since it would basically eliminate one of the most powerful tools in any NIMBY's toolbox.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article15368615.html

^Like support for police, I never know which ideology they'll choose to hang their hat on. I think here its, "stand up for the little man" when the little man is a rural republican, and "freedom and property rights" when the little man is an urban democrat. 

NewCity has this one too. Interesting. They do ok with the the sort of modern looking stuff. I'm wondering....is there a comparable student strip anywhere I can look at to what Hillsborough St will look like when all these proposals are done? I've been in plenty of student neighborhoods of carved up victorians and 1920's brick quads but nothing like the shiny single strip we have going here. I can't quite decide if this is going to be too many students all in one place without University policies in place or if the relative lack of nearby rundown areas will ensure Hillsborough stays nice in the long run. 

Well, for one thing, they will need to add another 2 or 3 floors to the Chipotle to handle all the crowds.

Well, for one thing, they will need to add another 2 or 3 floors to the Chipotle to handle all the crowds.

Seriously...is Chipotle extra awesome or something? Why the hell is the line around the block all the time?

Edited by Jones_

I am ambivalent about the legislation to eliminate protest petitions. If it passes and is upheld in court (both seem likely), City Council meetings might see more controversies.

Another example of the ability of a small number of people to affect a large number of people is Raleigh's process for petitions to initiate street calming. Only the people who live on the street in question have meaningful influence on what happens. I think this is profoundly unfair because it excludes people who live in the same neighborhood as well as people who have a legitimate reason to drive on the street in question. I keep waiting for the small number of homeowners who remain on Six Forks Road, Wade Avenue, Glenwood Avenue, etc to petition the city for street calming to 25 mph. 

Edited by ctl

FWIW its worth I have considered asking DOT to make Glenwood 25 from 5 points to Peace or at least Wade to Peace. You wouldn't believe the number of wrecks I see on this stretch at least two of which broke telephone poles. If DOT would put in pedestrian protections (the only people DOT cares about are drivers so you get guard rails to keep cars from going down into creeks, but the person walking the same stretch on a side walk is almost always unprotected by that same guardrail…what gives? This is a general thing...I don't think there are any meaningful guard rails on this stretch of Glenwood) then lower speed limits wouldn't be needed, but as it is, so many people walk along this stretch, that someone getting killed is just a matter time. 

FWIW its worth I have considered asking DOT to make Glenwood 25 from 5 points to Peace or at least Wade to Peace. You wouldn't believe the number of wrecks I see on this stretch at least two of which broke telephone poles. If DOT would put in pedestrian protections (the only people DOT cares about are drivers so you get guard rails to keep cars from going down into creeks, but the person walking the same stretch on a side walk is almost always unprotected by that same guardrail…what gives? This is a general thing...I don't think there are any meaningful guard rails on this stretch of Glenwood) then lower speed limits wouldn't be needed, but as it is, so many people walk along this stretch, that someone getting killed is just a matter time. 

I could see 35 in the Five Points to Peace stretch, but 25 is far too low for the conditions there.  You'd also never have people going 25 regardless, even with policing.  The road needs to "feel like the speed" for it to be appropriate.  I could see 25 in the the immediate Five Points blocks though.  That place is a pedestrian death trap and with the urban buildings surrounding it, I think it'd work.

/rambling

Well it is 35 along the whole stretch as it is. My first phase idea was to go from Washington St to Peace with some raised crossings and perhaps even a traffic light at Washington/Glenwood. There are a ton condos back there and Fred Fletcher as a destination of sorts. Washington St has a light on St Mary's, so a mirroring one on Glenwood would kick off the "slow down" segment. I want some painted or even raised crosswalks down possibly on most of the streets on that stretch... Hinsdale, Devereux, Wills Forest, Cleveland and maybe Jefferson and Adams too. On a regular day the pedestrian traffic here pretty decent with people walking from the neighborhoods down into Glenwood and beyond. And too many people drive like absolute asshats especially when leaving….the number of people who think racing off the Peace light heading north is fun game "is too damn high". So again..I am stressing the safety of pedestrians over giving drivers free rein just because it "feels" like they should be able to rip through a neighborhood people live in and actually get out and about on foot in.  

Well it is 35 along the whole stretch as it is. My first phase idea was to go from Washington St to Peace with some raised crossings and perhaps even a traffic light at Washington/Glenwood. There are a ton condos back there and Fred Fletcher as a destination of sorts. Washington St has a light on St Mary's, so a mirroring one on Glenwood would kick off the "slow down" segment. I want some painted or even raised crosswalks down possibly on most of the streets on that stretch... Hinsdale, Devereux, Wills Forest, Cleveland and maybe Jefferson and Adams too. On a regular day the pedestrian traffic here pretty decent with people walking from the neighborhoods down into Glenwood and beyond. And too many people drive like absolute asshats especially when leaving….the number of people who think racing off the Peace light heading north is fun game "is too damn high". So again..I am stressing the safety of pedestrians over giving drivers free rein just because it "feels" like they should be able to rip through a neighborhood people live in and actually get out and about on foot in.  

I agree with you regarding pedestrian safety, however "feels like" is an important thing.  You can do all the speed limit dropping you want, but people have a tendency to accelerate to higher speeds if the road isn't adequately impeded/calmed.

I think its only two things making it feel 'fast' on this stretch. First, its downhill from Wade to Washington. Second, the whole Bishops Park/Washington Square area is set back and separated by a brick wall from Glenwood thereby eliminating single family housing fronting the street and adding curb cuts that would make an area feel slower. I suppose I rue the fact the old Methodist Orphanage land was developed like this...it is what it is...but I think it can adequately addressed to feel like an area people should be driving slower in. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...