Hillsborough Street - NCSU Area developments

orulz

At his point there's nothing left worth saving south of Garden and north of Hope. Might as well reinvent that block and the North Hall black into a cohesive, mid density, urban block with all the accoutrements. 

Similarly, down by Cup a Joe, there are three large projects in earlier stages than those above, but all likely to proceed....NC Equipment Co, Digitz (the residential tenants moved out last week) and Smoker Friendly. 

FWIW, Mitches has a poster of that master plan hanging up there somewhere and it shows that parking deck among many other things.  

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

FWIW, Mitches has a poster of that master plan hanging up there somewhere and it shows that parking deck among many other things.  

Attached more recent version from 2013.... light gray appear to be future buildings down the road.  yellow appear to be future buildings with shorter lead times.

1_29_2013_Combined_Precinct.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All the stuff on the northwest side of the PR traffic circle is being torn down, including one of the last old houses there....I was hoping that one would survive. I have no idea what might be planned to go there but two of the buildings were NC State stuff at one time...

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 2

I read in the N&O today that the crane next to Target is coming down. An arbitrator sided with the contractor and the developer is SOL. No further explanation about the dispute or when the site could ultimately have a new owner who would develop it. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 2

I wonder if the concrete 1st story roof/2nd story floor is strong enough to support a few floors of wood frame apartments on top? I suspect at this point with the crane coming down that this is the best case scenario. It will be hard to finish the project as envisioned (7 stories) if it requires a new tower crane to raise the concrete forms. Changing to stick built might be a way to avoid that?

Other scenarios would be tearing it up and starting over, or else just finishing it as a minimal one- or two-story commercial building.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, orulz said:

I wonder if the concrete 1st story roof/2nd story floor is strong enough to support a few floors of wood frame apartments on top? I suspect at this point with the crane coming down that this is the best case scenario. It will be hard to finish the project as envisioned (7 stories) if it requires a new tower crane to raise the concrete forms. Changing to stick built might be a way to avoid that?

Other scenarios would be tearing it up and starting over, or else just finishing it as a minimal one- or two-story commercial building.

When things stopped, about a days worth of steel studs had gone up (those have since been removed). Since the planned height was 7, this matches other buildings recently built with up to 6 stories of wood on a concrete pedestal. Seems like the answer to your thought is yes. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, nicholas said:

Not great pics, but a lot going on here. On the north side of Hillsborough across from Stanhope.

65102432-9C6E-4BD2-80D0-247E423E14BC.jpg

93664230-50FC-4C74-84BA-3E5C6F7099C6.jpg

DEE02672-B787-42B8-8584-E2898188F2DE.jpg

That is the future "Uncommon". Pretty stupid name. Seems like a play on Stanhope Commons. Even without that, anything named Uncommon will undoubtedly be the most generic POS building you can imagine. Stop trying to appeal to people with your names stupid developers....you just sound like half rate business school dropouts. Also try building something that does not allow flatulence to be heard through walls and will not need the exterior replaced in 10 years. And set your lease rates to match local median incomes (or even say, 50% of them) and not to match the investor's expectations from the prospectus. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 10:51 PM, nicholas said:

^Some more pics especially for @Jones_ of the most POS building imaginable in Raleigh, plus some bonus pics of the project across the street.

I reread those drunken comments and stand by them. Also, I see that site almost every day. Retail frontage will be good, but the high end student apartment thing still is wrong on multiple levels. 

On 10/21/2019 at 11:18 AM, rolly said:

That's a nice little project - $15M investment. Excellent infill for the area. 

Its not infill. They are tearing down multiple buildings for this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a real estate development but a NC State development.   

from the TBJ today

""N.C. State University has reached its target in a $1.6 billion capital campaign – and the campaign still has two more years left.   In 2016, the university launched its "Think and Do the Extraordinary" campaign, with university officials calling its billion-plus target "ambitious." But on Friday, Chancellor Randy Woodson announced during his Fall Address that the campaign has officially reached the $1.61 billion mark – a "transformational achievement."""

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 9:13 AM, rolly said:

@Jones_ This is what's there. Looks like a massive upgrade to me. One trashed out single story building surrounded by a parking lot replaced by 5 story residential.  Should be nice!

2019-10-24 09_09_08-3411 Hillsborough St - Google Maps.png

2019-10-24 09_09_08-3411 Hillsborough St - Google Maps streetview.png

I didn't say it wasn't potentially an upgrade. But its not infill. Infill is building around existing (in between, and behind) structures. This is tear down and replace. I've been livid about the misuse of this term since Whitaker Park Apartments in Five Points was demolished ($465 a month for an apartment) and it was replaced with *fewer housing units (starting at over 700k a pop in the early 2000s). The developer was all like, well you see its **infill**, if we don't put it here its gotta go on the outskirts of town for more sprawl. Uh, excuse me, how about that 100+ units of people that were forced out? 

• Like 1

I didn't say it wasn't potentially an upgrade. But its not infill. Infill is building around existing (in between, and behind) structures. This is tear down and replace. I've been livid about the misuse of this term since Whitaker Park Apartments in Five Points was demolished ($465 a month for an apartment) and it was replaced with *fewer housing units (starting at over 700k a pop in the early 2000s). The developer was all like, well you see its **infill**, if we don't put it here its gotta go on the outskirts of town for more sprawl. Uh, excuse me, how about that 100+ units of people that were forced out? 

Infill can also be taking a single use parcel and dividing it for a denser use.

Usually for townhouses though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't agree that it's only infill if it tears nothing down. To me, infill is:

(1) substantially surrounded by existing development, for basically miles in every direction. How to quantify this? Maybe "closer to the center of the region than to the edge of the suburban frontier" and
(2) Denser than what was there before. If it has to be quantified, 2x?

Infill often "upcycles" land - takes something that was suburban at the time of its initial development (like most of Hillsborough Street), and making it more distinctly urban.

So, Whitaker Park - not infill, if the unit count went down. This? Definitely infill.

Now, there *is* a distinction between infill development and infill redevelopment. The latter is a subset of the former. This is infill redevelopment, for sure. So was North Hills. So is Cary Towne Center.  Infill development would also include things like Fenton. Or, in a smaller context, Infill taking a double lot, leaving the original house, and building a second house. Or taking a vacant lot in town and putting up a duplex.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...