Planning on visiting Philly

ctman987

Ok so I am from Connecticut (the Hartford area) and am planning a trip this summer and want Philadelphia to be one the destinations. I do not know much about Philadelphia but would like to learn about the city. Please help me by telling me sights worth visiting, good hotels to stay at, neighborhoods to visit, and development projects to see.

Thanks for the help!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so I am from Connecticut (the Hartford area) and am planning a trip this summer and want Philadelphia to be one the destinations. I do not know much about Philadelphia but would like to learn about the city. Please help me by telling me sights worth visiting, good hotels to stay at, neighborhoods to visit, and development projects to see.

Thanks for the help!!!

Ctman, you mgiht want to post your inquiry at http://www.phillyblog.com. I'm sure you'd get a response within a few minutes. There aren't too many Philly posters on this site.

For what its worth, I'd say you should concentrate on the Walnut Street corridor in Center City (between 20th and Front Street). Jsut about everything you'd want to see is within a few blocks of Walnut. Sure there's tons of other stuff to see but, as a first timer, you should stick to Walnut sicne msot of the sites of interest are there and its the primary shopping street and where much of the new urban development is going on. The Rittenhouse area should eb of particular interest.

ctman there is information here at UP,

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25194

and a Philadelphia most useful links here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13910

Urban, some good advice especially for one-on-one experiences, it is against the rules to promote outside forums though on UP, I can see you were simply answering the question but being an outsider of Philadelphia (and evolving into moderating the Philly forum through some complicated redesigns of the forums here) I would love help making the Philly forum one of the best out there. I can't do it alone here like I have for Pittsburgh because I simply don't know a critical mass of posters around Philly who could be interested, but I am more then willing to help out in any way I can. It is a shame this section has slowed recently, about 6 months ago it looked like it had the makings of forum on the rise. Let me know if you have any ideas, I post topics from time to time but I will never--short of moving to or becoming very involved in Philly--be able to bring the kind of interest or traffic to this site a native or someone in love with the region could. :)

Ah, I understand. My bad.

I really don't know why Urbanplanet hasn't caught on in the Philly area. It seems that many interesting topics are posted. However, as you've mentioned correctly, the critical mass isn't there. Its probably just a matter of establishment. I do know (or believe) that many of the posters on the Pittsburgh portion came over from another forum and thus it was kind of a ready made forum.

Thanks for help...and on another note to make an active forum it just takes dedicated individuals who know about the site and the love their city. For example forums for Hartford and Providence are more active then the forum for Boston and ten times more active then the NYC forums

There are a lot of great things to see in Philly, it just depends what you are interested in. The historic area is full of interesting sites like Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc. Stop by the Visitor's Center at 6th & Market first to get all the information. Be sure to visit the Constitution Center, it's an excellent museum. The Philly Museum of Art is very popular. As for hotels, on the high end there are the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons. More moderately proced hotels include the Marriott, Courtyard by Marriott or the Hilton Garden Inn. The Chestnut Hill neighborhood in the northwest section of the city is beautiful. You can take the local train system, called SEPTA, to get there. If you like to shop the best place is Walnut Street from Broad St. (14th St.) to 19th. Rittenhouse Square on Walnut between 18th & 19th is a beautiful urban park. Developments under construction include the Symphony House condos at Broad St. & Pine St. and the Murano condos at Market & 22nd Sts. What will be the city's tallest building, the Comcast Center, is under construction at JFK Blvd. & 17th St. There is a shuttle service that runs throughout Center City (downtown) called the Phlash. It stops at all the popular sites.

Check out this website: www.gophila.com. It's the offical tourist website.

Hope this helps!

Archived