Big Box Annoyances Showdown

tamias6

Big Box Annoyances Showdown  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What annoys you when shopping Big Box Stores?

• unhelpful staff
    • rude customers
    • the screaming kid

I'm one of those men who doesn't ask questions -- I just go out and seek and if I don't find it 80% of the time it's not even at the store so asking is a waste of time. It's all WYSIWYG at a big box -- there's hardly any hidden merchandise. In times I've needed assistance I have yet to come across anyone not helpful or unwilling. I think it's all in how you ask the person a question.

I voted rude customers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one of those men who doesn't ask questions -- I just go out and seek and if I don't find it 80% of the time it's not even at the store so asking is a waste of time. It's all WYSIWYG at a big box -- there's hardly any hidden merchandise. In times I've needed assistance I have yet to come across anyone not helpful or unwilling. I think it's all in how you ask the person a question.

I voted rude customers

WYSIWYG stores :D I like that :lol:

although I think you brought up another point that I don't like about big box stores...

The sense of adventure!

How fun is it to go to a store and just search for that rare item no one else has buried deep within some forgotten corner of that store? when you bring it up to the clerk they ask "man, did we even sell this here???" and you're all like "dude you're not Tommy Chong!" and then they are like "ohh no way duude!!!" and you leave the store with rare item in hand, and have a wonderful day.

Regarding screamers...

exactly when did it become the norm to tote one's hellspawn everywhere? And I mean everywhere; even late in the evening at a Valentine's Day dinnner in an expensive restaurant it's almost inevitable to encounter a contraceptive failure fussing and crying while the ineffectual parents gaze proudly on.

But they're actually not the most annoying thing about the big-box retail experience; being waited on by barely-out-of-their-teens salestaff is the most annoying thing. If bosses would get wise (when hell freezes over!) offer better wages and get ADULTS staffing the store, they might lure me back in. As it is, I haven't shopped in a big chain store since October of 2004. (I'm excluding D&W.)

Regarding screamers...

exactly when did it become the norm to tote one's hellspawn everywhere? And I mean everywhere; even late in the evening at a Valentine's Day dinnner in an expensive restaurant it's almost inevitable to encounter a contraceptive failure fussing and crying while the ineffectual parents gaze proudly on.

<snip>

"contraceptive failure" --- HILARIOUS! That makes my day. :)

Wait a minute. Not all children are "accidents" or contraceptive failures. :huh:

Do people who despise children think THEY THEMSELVES were just created in a Big Bang in their 20's or something? Contrary to pop culture, children are amazing.

I think some people on this forum have anger-management, intolerance and patience issues (not necessarily you zen).

Have you seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgcxXDLyF74? it's very funny.

Disclaimer: I do love kids, don't get me wrong. But I still enjoy the commercial.

LOL - I was waiting for the guy to pick up the kid and put him in someone elses cart. Or having him put in a freezer case with the little monsters face pressed agains the glass door would've been funny. :)

I guess life must be good for me, I blank out all of the distractions in stores and for the most part always find what I am looking for. I never seem to have trouble finding help.

I guess other shoppers who are idiots bother me, but that can happen in any retail establishment in my opinion. Maybe 5 years of Retail Management back in the 80's has calloused me enough that only the idiot customers bother me.

Reminds me of a quote from some movie that I still use today, "This job would be great if it weren't for the customers". Clerks maybe?

clerks.gif

WOW! I couldn't vote because I want to vote for unhelpful staff AND the screaming kid (which I want to pin on the parent). While I find the screaming kid highly annoying, I know it is possible to shop with children and minimize this from occuring AND every now and then you find that rare gem of an employee who actually is conscious.

I was at the new IKEA in Canton last weekend with friends and their 4 and 2 year old girls. We were there for a LONG time and because these friends of mine actually pay attention to their kids, the melt down factor was greatly lessened. There was one point when the 2 year old laid prone in the middle of the aisle and wouldn't move, but an actual helpful staff member who walked by the incident actually stopped and talked to my friend and her daughter. It diverted the crying daughter enough to make her stop and everyone was happy enough to shop again. Whew...we narrowly avoided be THOSE people with the screaming kid!

I always like to think everyone's doing their best, I just accept the fact that some just do it better than others...

Wait a minute. Not all children are "accidents" or contraceptive failures. :huh:

Do people who despise children think THEY THEMSELVES were just created in a Big Bang in their 20's or something? Contrary to pop culture, children are amazing.

I think some people on this forum have anger-management, intolerance and patience issues (not necessarily you zen).

Heh.... I love kids.. the screaming is part of life.... I've had plenty of times when I've had to take a child out of the store while mom shopped. Yes parents that are by themselves need to learn that sometimes it's just better to leave and come back (whether shopping, eating, church, doing anything else in public).. but screaming kids are in my opinion unavoidable and part of life...

Unless you were around me when I was a child.. heres a picture:

angelwings.gif

Regarding screamers...

But they're actually not the most annoying thing about the big-box retail experience; being waited on by barely-out-of-their-teens salestaff is the most annoying thing. If bosses would get wise (when hell freezes over!) offer better wages and get ADULTS staffing the store, they might lure me back in. As it is, I haven't shopped in a big chain store since October of 2004. (I'm excluding D&W.)

I was an accident

Heh.... I love kids.. the screaming is part of life.... I've had plenty of times when I've had to take a child out of the store while mom shopped. Yes parents that are by themselves need to learn that sometimes it's just better to leave and come back (whether shopping, eating, church, doing anything else in public).. but screaming kids are in my opinion unavoidable and part of life...

Unless you were around me when I was a child.. heres a picture:

angelwings.gif

There's no excuse for kids screaming in public. And you don't have to beat your kids to get them to behave. It's both an art and a science, but it's definitely do-able.

Archived