Raleigh Union Station

I think this would be a good idea to really consider. One thing that has held the Transit line back is that there are so many different agencies providing transportation. This could help to bring them all on the same page. I could see it working just like an airline hub, except people would probably be more likely to move between different agencies to get where they need to go. This could also help bring more riders for a light rail line if it were to ever get built (I'm really starting to have my doubts... :( ).

A transportation hub bad for close by businesses?... hmmm. never thought about it like that... maybe its because im not on drugs! Bad for business? I'm sorry I find it funny :rofl: . If such a hub in Raleigh becomes bad for business, I will be more than happy to eat my own words. :thumbsup:

This is great for Raleigh transit wise. Raleigh's train station hopefully will have commuter rail (Eastrans), TTA, and serve as a major station for high-speed rail. With increased inter-city rail (mid day piedmont, Wilmington) the station will be a major draw to downtown which is currently booming. GOOD JOB RALEIGH!

They are plannig a transportation hub in Charlotte, and hear it would be good for busniess. That lady does not know what she is talking about.

If I could take a train from Charlotte to Raleigh, and get a rent-a-car at the transportation hub, that would be great.

Raleigh is on the right track on this one.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

Here is the link for the Charlotte Gateway Station, which I think would be a great model for how to do the project. Using funds from the NCDOT Rail Division, TTA, the city, and private sources, it could be a great success. Can you imagine TTA, Eastrans, SEHSR, Amtrak, local and express buses, taxi, Greyhound, rental cars, with shops and condos all in one location? It's a perfect location, and I'm glad there is momentum.

Here's the overall plan for the area:

west_area_transit.jpg

Edited by ChiefJoJo

I was reading on the Local Tech Wire that a decent-sized software company was moving into the Warehouse District and the president of the company commented that this area was becoming the place to be. This would be a great time to put this transit hub down there.

I wish WRAL would title the speakers like that woman like they do on the Simpsons, i.e.

Homer Simpson

Local Idiot

If businesses hate being near all that activity, why do shopping centers locate near interchanges? Why do airports install full-size malls in their terminals when they upgrade? Why does Union Station in Washington DC (which combines high-speed rail, local rail, bus and taxi service) have an incredible retail sales per square foot ratio?

Greensboro's multimodal center is nice, but it is still somewhat segregated from adjoining development. The Charlotte multimodal center will be a much better model for Raleigh to emulate, as is Union Station in DC or the plans for Denver's multimodal station.

Yeah I definelty think it would work well for the area. I believe there was something like this in the works a while back dubbed "Intermodal Transportation Hub" or something to that effect. But with the light rails feasibility for the Triangle I'm not sure what's going on with that.

I also think Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary and adjoining Wake Forest should think about getting one unified Bus System TTA which would elimanate the need for the separate intities we currently have.

I think putting an airport runway through downtown is a bad idea. :P

A transportation hub bad for close by businesses?... hmmm. never thought about it like that... maybe its because im not on drugs! Bad for business? I'm sorry I find it funny :rofl: . If such a hub in Raleigh becomes bad for business, I will be more than happy to eat my own words. :thumbsup:

Seriously, an intermodal hub makes tons of sense. "Bad for business" is a very strange way to look at it. The ONLY thing that is a consideration for businesses is that the hub could potentially have a lot of people just hanging around, like they do around Moore Square. People with nothing more to do than hang around are a deterrent for people who work really hard and assume that they are going to be robbed by people who aren't working really hard. That's the main reason the City Market area has been exponentially outpaced by Glenwood South.

I have to laugh at the lady who spoke as she is a resident of Boylan Heights. I am sure they will have something to say as this moves along. When TTA put out the plan for the WYE, they fought it. Nothing like living next to the most major train and rail junction and complaining about , of all things, "Trains" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like people who get a cheaper house near a airport than create neighborhood groups to try to limit flights.

If she is worried about unsavaory types in Boylan Heights, hey, they are already there. This may belp. I don't see the city making this a port authority terminal like in NYC. Just put in some police and transit cops.

Nothing like the Prague train station. So many pickpocketers and so few people later at night that you get bumped and run into many times. It is like playing dodgeball.

Edited by Subway Scoundrel

....If she is worried about unsavaory types in Boylan Heights, hey, they are already there.....

Haha. I know what you mean. Boylan Heights sits directly adjacent to the ghetto. Just make a left from Boylan Ave toward downtown on South or Lenoir streets. Literally, if you blink an eye, you're like where did that nice neighborhood go?

I moved here about 6 years ago, so I don't know the transit history around here. It surprises me that local busses come out of Moore Square Transit Station and Greyhound is across town from there.

Combining All Trains, all busses, some rental car facilities and Parking (including some long term) makes complete sense. If I was a business owner, why would I want to be located near thousands of consumers?

The WRAL article is badly written.

The multi-modal station proposed for downtown Charlotte is not a CATS project but primairly one owned and financed by the NCDOT Rail Division. This is part of their on-going project to improve all their stations on the NC passenger railroad that basically travels between Raleigh and Charlotte. CATS is participating in the project because they also want to run commuter rail and express buses through this station. Finally there will be a Greyhound bus terminal because the land that will be used for this is where Greyhound has a station now.

The NCDOT has similar plans for Raleigh downtown multi-modal station for quite some time. TComceptual planning has already been finished for this station, and it involved the NCDOT, the TTA, and the city of Raleigh transit authority. The detailed design is being held up due to the uncertainty of the TTA commuter rail project. There isn't much more on this project, but here is a link with a litte more info.

Finally there will be a Greyhound bus terminal because the land that will be used for this is where Greyhound has a station now.

I thought the current Greyhound Station was further north near Glenwood South than this proposed site?

I thought the current Greyhound Station was further north near Glenwood South than this proposed site?

He was referring to the Charlotte Gateway Station, not Raleigh. Raleigh's Greyhound station is on Jones St, which is actually very close to the future TTA Govt Ctr Station. As I said above, I think NCDOT Rail, TTA, and the city would like to see the project modeled after Charlotte's Gateway Station, perhaps on a smaller scale. Charlotte's project will leverage air rights, railroad involvement, and other public/private partnerships to build the station, and I think DT Raleigh is approaching a time where heavy development interest in the area will allow this to happen soon.

I emailed a staff member about this--response here:

"At this time staff is preparing a Request for Proposals that will be sent to consultants interested in working on the project. To date, that RFP has not been released. We hope to advertise the RFP in July. Here is a little history on the multi-modal center. A public process will be included as the consultant works on the project. Stay tuned and there will be more to come."

In 1995 the City of Raleigh undertook a study and adopted the finding that there was sufficient travel demand to warrant a Multi-Modal Transportation Center (MTC) and selected the railroad Wye area as the location to study. Support was confirmed for the MTC with the understanding that by combining the transportation modes into a central facility the city would aid those passengers transferring between modes and provide the efficiency of a single facility to serve a variety of transportation systems. A second study supported by the City of Raleigh, Triangle Transit Authority, and North Carolina Department of Transportation developed two design scenarios for the MTC, the Wye alternative and the Morgan/Hargett Street alternative. The scenarios accommodate the physical space needs of the intercity rail passenger system and the regional rail transit system, as well as the space needs for freight, intercity bus service, local transit systems, airport and other shuttle systems. The scenarios illustrate how parking, concessions, access (pedestrian, bicycle, local transit, auto and rail), freight storage and handling, office and support space could all be accommodated within the facility.

If the RFP goes out in July, I'd expect the public process to be underway by early next year. I assume this will be a more detailed study showing how, when, and where the facility should be built.

• 1 month later...