Raleigh Union Station

Another interesting tidbit in the IndyWeek report is "There won't be escalators but the infrastructure will be there to put them in in the future." I don't know whether this means escalators into and out of the tunnel to reach the train platform, or escalators for an upper level in the station itself, or both. I'm sure there will be elevators to comply with code and ADA, but it sounds like some compromises are already being made to contain the construction budget.

As to coal, no doubt the site is environmentally nasty. So was the amphitheatre site and, if I remember correctly, part of the convention center site too.

Edited by ctl

• 2 weeks later...

(This is my first post, so hi everyone. A short intro: I've lived in Cary for 14 years now and like to keep track of how Cary and Raleigh are developing. You guys seem like a great community that shares my interest, so I joined.)

I've been busy with university stuff in recent years, so I've fallen a bit out of touch with recent developments. The Union Station looks like a great addition, but I was wondering, will it serve as the local commuter rail station as well, if that goes through? I saw the map listed "Downtown Raleigh Station" which led me to believe they may use something else, but I wanted to ask around.

There's a long history to answering your question because this project has gone through so many proposals over the last 10 years. The site of the station is a logical place to serve commuter trains, in terms of existing railroad lines into downtown. The current construction will provide platforms for only Amtrak intercity trains. In theory, platforms and tracks could be added at a later date for commuter trains. There is an ultimate limit as to how many passengers and how many trains the station, even if expanded, will be able to handle without undue congestion. I think we're good for 30 years, assuming incremental dollars are spent along the way. Beyond that, no one knows.

Edited by ctl

As far as I can tell, GoTriangle is holding onto the stretch of buildings between Union Station and Citrix. I suppose that some unseen master plan might still suggest using that block or in a better world, those buildings as a station expansion. Just a thought...I have no idea what the plan is...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yesterday the City updated its website on the project, which now says "The station is anticipated to be operational by the first quarter of 2018. A few construction activities, including demolition of the existing station and related track modifications, will continue after the opening of the station. The schedule is subject to change based on nature of construction and challenges that may be encountered."

Hard to find a concrete opening date in that comment.

34 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

Any idea why they need to demolish the old station? In the way of new tracks or something? Kind of a cool little building. 

True.  I thought it would make a cool diner.  They should've let Finch's relocate here.  Even have some outside tables under the canopy.

I can speculate but I don't know for certain. Perhaps the railroad is uneasy with the proximity to an active freight line. In most cases where a depot is reused for non-rail purposes, the railroad wants a fence between the former depot and the active track -- but the station design is not amenable to such a fence. Perhaps the city and state are uneasy with the possibility that people would walk across the tracks to reach the new station from the parking lot of the old station. Perhaps NCRR wants to redevelop the parcel or sell it. There is nothing particularly historic or attractive about the building, which dates from 1950.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We'll see how it works when it opens, but I still can't quite get over the odd, seemingly passenger-hostile design that makes passengers walk 250ft west to the very back of the building, and then another 250ft southeast to get to the tunnel that gives access to the platforms. It was sort-of required by the decision to use the Viaduct building, but I wish they could have found a better way.

I also recall that in some sketches of potential track layouts, there was going to be a two-track intercity island platform, and provision for a single side platform for commuter trains. To me, when you're starting from a blank slate like this, only leaving room for a single platform for commuter service would be very short-sighted. I hope that decision doesn't wind up set in concrete for generations.

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

Huh...I somehow didn't notice they took up all the track behind the West Street facing buildings. 

It kind of makes me wonder why they just don't go ahead and partially tunnel West Street now with there not being any rail running or even existing.  I feel like it's just more annoying of a venture to do at a later date.

There I go with the crazy logic though I suppose.

17 hours ago, DPK said:

It kind of makes me wonder why they just don't go ahead and partially tunnel West Street now with there not being any rail running or even existing.  I feel like it's just more annoying of a venture to do at a later date.

There I go with the crazy logic though I suppose.

Looks to me like they are tunneling a squiggly something under the tracks heading south. It sort of winds off the entrance road into the station. It looks like it's coming up in the back of the Haven House parking lot though....

Staffer any insight?

Orulz is right... the layout is not passenger-friendly, although it's less unfriendly for people who will be dropped off at the front door. The walk from the parking deck to trainside will be even longer. It might exceed the walk from the main RDU parking deck to the far end of the C or D concourse at Terminal 2. 

The east leg of the Boylan wye will be reinstalled, most definitely. Preserving this leg of the wye is why West Street is tunneled underneath that bridge. Not only is the wye used to turn passenger trains, it's also how Norfolk Southern freights reach south Raleigh without having to reverse direction at the west side of Boylan -- a time-consuming process that blocks the main lines.

Edited by ctl

• 1 month later...

Construction Update Photo from NCDOT - "NC By Train".  Still blows my mind that the west street tunnel project wasn't done at the same time while everything was torn up.  Now there is a new railroad there - so I doubt they will tear that up for the west street extension any time soon.

C93DOLfUAAE7KqT.jpg

• Like 3