What does "CRSA" stand for?

Scraper Enthusiast

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you meant CSRA..."Central Savannah River Area "

As a frequent traveler through the Augusta area, I constantly hear radiio station advertisements blabber on about the "CRSA", "number one in the CRSA", etc. What does this stand for?

CSRA was a chamber of commerce invention, I believe, dating back to the 1950s. It has some connection with the effort to develop the Savannah River Plant. Middle Georgia tried to coin a similiar type acronym CORE. ( Central O----- River Empire? Something like that). Not sure if it ever took off.

I remember the term "Georgia-lina" being used by Channel 12 in the old days, though I think it was invented by James Brown :)

CSRA was a chamber of commerce invention, I believe, dating back to the 1950s. It has some connection with the effort to develop the Savannah River Plant. Middle Georgia tried to coin a similiar type acronym CORE. ( Central O----- River Empire? Something like that). Not sure if it ever took off.

Could the O----- Stand for Ocmulgee as in the Ocmulgee River that runs through Macon?

• 2 months later...

Didn't really know where to put this but I wanted to share this website anyway. Most people know metro Augusta as the CSRA, Greater Augusta, or Garden City or Medical City or whatever. But did you know that Augusta is also referred to as the Paris of the South??? Yes, there is actually a website made up of local Augustans who have created a pretty good website dedicated to us. Anyway, if you want a laugh take a visit. It's all done tongue-in-cheek of course; the Eiffel Tower has a Nascar flag on the top of it. A lot of references are made to Joe Penny (the actor off Jake and the Fatman who is a native) whose head appears in a l of photos. You can buy Tobacco Road gift pack, which includes the novel, some dirt, and a picture of Tobacco Road Elementary School; you can also get a Jimmy Dye wind-up doll. The best is the jar of water from Rae's Creek, complete with a golf ball inside. Thought it was funny.

Archived