USC Plans Charlotte Campus

Richhamleigh, DC

The Charlotte Observer reports that USC will open a campus in Charlotte this fall.

On paper - in marketing ads, etc. - Charlotte prides itself on being the leading city of "The Carolinas". What does this move by the University of South Carolina say about the Charlotte region and the relationship between NC and SC?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is going to add to the confusion of folks that think that Charlotte is in SC.

If the Daily Show cared about this news, the graphic would say "Putting the Cock in the Queen City". :)

In general, though, I think the more links that Charlotte has to the major educational institutions in the Carolinas, the better.

Yeah, it's pretty funny to think about a USC-Charlotte ;) But in actuality it is a smart move on thier part and makes total sense. Of course we are very connected to SC and that doesn't bother me in the slightest and this is in someways just another link between us. Of course walking around Uptown or driving around the city you'll see the Plametto and Cresent Moon emblem all over the place which I always thought was a little funny but in a way having a two-state city is kind of cool and adds some character IMO. It said the location should be announced next month so lets all hope this baby goes Uptown!

Oh wow, I didn't know about this. Interesting, to say the least. The Moore School of Business is one of the best in the nation. I would hope that this signals an era of greater cooperation between the two states, as many issues do indeed affect us both.

These days, I tend to see more USC emblems on NC plates than UNC emblems anyway. :)

While reading up on Charlotte's history not too long ago, I was surprised at the number of South Carolinians that have played a significant role in the growth of the city, such as Edward Dilworth Latta, William Belk, Hugh McColl, etc.

True ! ^^^

I've always said that Charlotte gets more support from Columbia than it does from Raleigh. The city is located in the wrong state, IMO.

Don't we all wish we could just bump the border north a couple counties?

At first I thought this was a joke when I read the title. But alas, Charlotte is proving itself more and more to be the capital of the Carolinas. It has the perfect geography for it too.

Do you guys think it will have a unique name or a USC-x name? Kinda like the Wake Forest University Babcock Graduate School of Management. I think something simpler may be a more recognizable.

I hope this is more than a business school and becomes an actual full-fledged campus. To think, a university not at all influenced by UNC... in Charlotte. Finally. I'm pretty sure there aren't any laws against it Spartan; so it makes sense.

I don't think USC would have the ability to become a full-fledged branch; in all probability it would remain a specialized campus.

It's good to see Uptown having more of a college presence, even if it is graduate and specialized. It will make for a more cosmopolitan feel in the future.

By the way, here's the announcement from USC's website.

I don't think USC would have the ability to become a full-fledged branch; in all probability it would remain a specialized campus.

Very true, not without some kind of agreement between the two states where students could pay instate tuition no matter which state the school was located in.

Im Stoked. First we land Spurrier, then beat Tennessee, now we get a Charlotte campus. Maybe we can build a mini 5 points area in downtown Charlotte :yahoo::yahoo:

...and we beat Florida.

Anyway... I've only been in CLT for a month now, and I would love to have a 5pts here. I really like Charlotte, but I really miss Cola. After four years there, it just felt like home. Hopefully CLT will feel that way soon.

Very true, not without some kind of agreement between the two states where students could pay instate tuition no matter which state the school was located in.

Well, I don't really know about undergrad but, as far as graduate school is concerned, as a resident of one of the metropolitan counties you can attend classes at UNCC and Winthrop (maybe others?) for in-state tuition prices.

Well, I don't really know about undergrad but, as far as graduate school is concerned, as a resident of one of the metropolitan counties you can attend classes at UNCC and Winthrop (maybe others?) for in-state tuition prices.

This is true, I have some friends from Rock Hill that pay in state tuition.

• 2 months later...

As a proud Gamecock who put his time into Darla Moore's graps I say bravo. USC is just the school to send those damn Tar Heels packing..and even though we can barely beat Wofford in football, at least we can beat someone! Now maybe UNCC can ease off all of this football talk and keep focusing on their academics. :thumbsup:

Archived