NEW YORK [7] Museum of the City of New York

hkskyline

I start my day visiting the Museum of the City of New York, which offers free admission up to noon on Sundays! It's located at the northeastern end of Central Park near Harlem. The neighborhood is noticeably not as nice as further south towards Midtown. Some of the buildings are deteriorated and the elevated railway splits up the neighborhood along Park Avenue.

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

Let's go inside the museum :

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

I like the museum's exhibits on New York's maritime history, which includes trade, commerce, and defense. There is also a model of the New Amsterdam settlement, which is today's Lower Manhattan.

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

There is also an exhibit portraying the entertainment industry.

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

On the first level there is also a small exhibition on fire-fighting.

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

Beautifully-decorated replicas of the Rockefeller bedrooms adorn the top floor of the museum.

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics. For a history buff and one that was in awe of such portrayals of early NY as "Gangs of New York" and "Sleepy Hollow" with Depp were able to reinvent, that museum's pics seem very fascinating.

Archived