Duncan Park Stadium

Spartan

I dont know that much about how territories and levels work in sports. My guess is that it would be the lowest level. Locations? I'll leave that one open for others to input on.

Since the S - Phils left town, I believe Minor League Baseball has changed its territory rules. So Spartanburg I believe would be considered in Greenville's market now.

The existing Coastal Plain League team is a good option for Spartanburg, as the Stingers are a quality team, and let's face it, about the same age and skill level as a low A ball club, like the Greenville Drive.

Duncan Park is a good landmark, and should be saved, but unless things in MiLB change, Spartanburg, Anderson (which used to have an Atlanta low A team), etc. won't get a crack at another Minor league team.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not aware of any change in their territorial policies. The Charlotte region has at least two minor league teams. If baseball allows that, the same can/has happen(ed) with upstate South Carolina.

Spartanburg and Anderson can handle low 'A' and/or 'Rookie' teams. Anderson is in the process of getting a team.

One wonders if the Boston Red Sox organization would like to upgrade the Greenville Drivle to a 'AA' team. Minor league baseball would undergo reorganization when MLB expands the NL and AL in 2010.

The rule in Minor League baseball is that no team can be within a 35 mile radius of another, without consent of the first club.

What team is in the process of moving to Anderson? Haven't heard that.

The Red Sox AA club, the Portland (Maine) Sea Dogs, will likely remain a Red Sox affiliate for the forseeable future, as having a Red Sox connection in Maine does wonders for their business.

The rule in Minor League baseball is that no team can be within a 35 mile radius of another, without consent of the first club.

What team is in the process of moving to Anderson? Haven't heard that.

The Red Sox AA club, the Portland (Maine) Sea Dogs, will likely remain a Red Sox affiliate for the forseeable future, as having a Red Sox connection in Maine does wonders for their business.

Ah. Well in that case it may be possible for Spartanburg to get another baseball team some day. I don't forsee that happening in the near future though.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting. That would also be a good way to build regional support.

There was an article in the paper the other day about the fundrasing efforts at Duncan Park. It seems that things are moving foreward in that regard. If I can find the link I will share it.

I think that if we can get the park rennovated, we will be able to draw in a pro-team. My guess is it would be a AAA team like Anderson is getting...

Turs out the link was still on the first page.

Friends of Duncan Park

With District 7 no longer interested in using the stadium, they are relaying on fundraising. About $2 million is needed to make the stadium usable. $4 million is needed to make the stadium attractive. The group has met with other groups in other states who have completed similar projects and they have some ideas moving foreward. They say about 1000 people have shown interest in saving the stadium over the past two years. I assume this means in terms of contributing financially, because I know that most people are in favor of saving it. I think that if they kick off a donation drive and get the press involved, they could raise that $4 million pretty easily. The oldest baseball stadium in SC, and one of the oldest minor leage stadiums in the nation is something that must be saved.

Interesting. That would also be a good way to build regional support.

There was an article in the paper the other day about the fundrasing efforts at Duncan Park. It seems that things are moving foreward in that regard. If I can find the link I will share it.

I think that if we can get the park rennovated, we will be able to draw in a pro-team. My guess is it would be a AAA team like Anderson is getting...

First of all, I agree that the Drive playing at Duncan Park would be a great way to build regional support. They have been on top of the game in terms of getting out into the community

Anderson is definitely not getting a AAA team. Greenville had an opportunity to get one, but chose the A team over two other proposals for higher level teams (which turned out to be the perfect decision). Anderson's team is actually lower level than Greenville's in the pro baseball world. For comparison purposes, the Charlotte Knights are a AAA minor league team. :shades:

Spartanburg apparently lost the Stingers recently as well. I remember hearing they planned to move to another city/state. Don't recall all of the details though. :unsure:

Edited by Skyliner

• 4 months later...

Some unexpected good news in the HJ today. It seems that a deal with District 7 to restore Duncan Park might not only be back on the table, but nearly complete. According this article, City Manager Mark Scott says no arrangements have been made, but he thinks officials are "very close" to working out a deal that could include renovating Duncan Park stadium. Scott said there have been no discussions on who would finance the renovation work to the stadium, which would have to be done for players to use it.

Great news about Duncan Park today. It looks like the stadium will be better than ever when District 7 and the City renovate. The photo in the paper was a little hard to see, but it looked like it would be upgraded to a higher standard than ever. I hope that they will upgrade it to a level acceptable to a minor leage team as well. Wouldn't it be great if Spartanburg could land a single A team again?

Great news about Duncan Park today. It looks like the stadium will be better than ever when District 7 and the City renovate. The photo in the paper was a little hard to see, but it looked like it would be upgraded to a higher standard than ever. I hope that they will upgrade it to a level acceptable to a minor leage team as well. Wouldn't it be great if Spartanburg could land a single A team again?

I've got to check out Duncan Park more closely the next time I go over there. I saw it briefly as I drove by...and I saw where the Stingers are playing at Wofford while I was taking in the Panthers Training Camp. I think it would be awesome if Spartanburg could land a Single-A team from the SAL. Imagine the competitive rivalry that would create between Greenville and Spartanburg on the baseball field! :thumbsup: The question burning in my mind is, can Spartanburg really support a Single-A team? There are other towns that have SAL teams that don't seem to support them nearly as well as they should, though...so anything's possible.

Spartanburg apparently lost the Stingers recently as well. I remember hearing they planned to move to another city/state. Don't recall all of the details though. :unsure:

The Stingers are still in Spartanburg, Skyliner. The baseball field at Wofford is all decked out in ads and what-not in support of the Stingers. :thumbsup:

No, the Stingers are headed for Forest City, NC. Their last game was Saturday, I think.

You should definitely check out Duncan Park Stadium now, so you can see the before conditions.... the HJ reports that a deal with District 7 was worked out, and Spartanburg HS will now use Duncan Park for Viking Baseball games. Spartan High will have a national treasure and an unrivaled facility for any high school in America. "The complex will include a new main entrance, updated facilities for the disabled, updated locker rooms and batting cages. The entire Duncan Park stadium will be completely renovated and restored to a level that reflects its historic identity, and it will be a 21st- century stadium."

They haven't finalized funding, yet, but the City and District 7 will each pay for part of it.

I think that says it all!! This is fantastic news for Spartanburg HS, Duncan Park, Spartanburg, South Carolina, the nation, and baseball lovers everywhere!! :yahoo::shades::alc:

Article

• 3 months later...

the City and District 7 have each agreed to pay $750,000 of the $3,000,000 it will cost to renovate the stadium. the other $1.5 million will be raised I assume through the Friends of Duncan Park group (though the article did not say that).

This is great news for Spartanburg. We are saving an important piece of history :)

Article