Google Earth/Maps Suckiness

emerging.me

Hey guys,

I was pretty stoked to hear that Google Earth/Maps had updated their photography... But when I got on to check out the area I was bummed to see that while they expanded the higher resolution images over a larger portion of the region, Cayce and West Columbia are pretty much wiped out. WeCo is completely blurry and Cayce just has a big grey box over it. BUMMER! Does anyone know anything about this technology? Could it be some kind of processing error that can be fixed or is it simply that the images didn't turn out and we won't get to see cool places like New Brookland or Triangle City until they do another big update? Anyone?

b

post-615-1150943536_thumb.jpg

post-615-1150943536_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually, that isn't the hilton under construction. If you notice the West Quad site for USC isn't even completed in that picture... and I lived there my sophmore year (2004-2005). I believe that could be the convention center that you see.

Also, ever since I saw the Yahoo Maps, I think I have completely stopped using Google.

Google as well as Yahoo & Microsoft purchase aerial / sattellite imagery where they can get it, for a reasonably inexpensive price. Sometimes they luck out, other times they have to settle with low res imagery.

I assure you - it dissapoints Google greatly. At a previous conference I attended a Google Earth demonstration & the Keyhole (Google Earth) reps encouraged DOTs, regional agencies, municipalities to consult with them to share data.

Google may be likely to spend the extra money for high res for a major urban area, but they aren't going to go out of their way to serve less populated areas.

actually, that isn't the hilton under construction. If you notice the West Quad site for USC isn't even completed in that picture... and I lived there my sophmore year (2004-2005). I believe that could be the convention center that you see.

Also, ever since I saw the Yahoo Maps, I think I have completely stopped using Google.

It is the convention center. I've been a fan of Google Earth and also Google Maps, because... well, Yahoo Maps used to suck. I hadn't checked out the new Yahoo Maps Beta... it really puts Google to shame... the imagery for our region is up to date and there's a much wider high-res area. I also just like the functionality. Google Earth has some fun features that will keep me using it from time to time, but Google Maps better bring their game... I will use Yahoo now for most things.

HA! Try Richmond on Google Earth. Last time I checked... the western part of the area was clear and then starting a few houses down from mine eastward it goes blurry!

Live local's better anyway.

Archived