If you put 2 cities together....

Charlotte and Nashville. Charlotte could use the river, history and fame. Nashville could use the economic power.

:blink:

We've landed only 9 or so corporate headquarters in the past few years, we're considered the smartest place to move according to Kiplingers and the best city for relocation and business economic development...yeah...we could use the power.

I wouldn't mind having Charlotte's huge banking industry, but that's about all.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte and Nashville. Charlotte could use the river, history and fame. Nashville could use the economic power.

Charlotte and Nashville is a bit too much on the duplicative side. Now Charlotte and Charleston--that's an awesome combination of the new and impressive and the old and the charming. Not to mention a dense, historic downtown on a riverfront with nice shiny, gleaming towers and a downtown college. That would make for one AWESOME city.

Memphis and New Orleans = New Memphis or Memphorleans (similar southern flavors would mix well)

Atlanta and Dallas = Atlantas or Datlanta (mixing the unique skyline architectures would be impressive)

Louisville and Birmingham = Louisham or Birmingville? (Similar sized and the newer Aegon tower would help B'ham a lot not to mention Museum Plaza (still not sold on that look but it IS different).

Nashville and Indianapolis - Indianashville or Nashapolis? Don't know why but I can view the cities looking great merged into one skyline. I can also think Indi would look good on the river.

Charlotte and Pittsburgh - Pitt's industry with Charlotte's banking? A great economic powerhouse.

Pittsburgh doesn't have any "industry" anymore (assuming you're referring to heavy manufacturing)... in fact it's one of the least "blue collar" areas in the country now (which isn't necessarily a good thing)... The steel mills closed about 25 years ago (There's only one left in the Pittsburgh region)... amazing how long news takes to reach people.

Instead you would be combining the No. 2 banking city (Charlotte) with the No. 10 banking city (Pittsburgh). Pittsburgh would also give this new city some serious educational and health care facilities.... the busiest inland port in America... countless breathtaking vistas... and some real urban neighborhoods.

The Pittsburgh newspaper has been running a series this week on how Charlotte surpassed Pittsburgh, which was formerly a much higher-ranking financial powerhouse.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06176/701039-28.stm

20060625largest_bank_ctrs.gif

Memphis and New Orleans = New Memphis or Memphorleans (similar southern flavors would mix well)

Atlanta and Dallas = Atlantas or Datlanta (mixing the unique skyline architectures would be impressive)

Louisville and Birmingham = Louisham or Birmingville? (Similar sized and the newer Aegon tower would help B'ham a lot not to mention Museum Plaza (still not sold on that look but it IS different).

Nashville and Indianapolis - Indianashville or Nashapolis? Don't know why but I can view the cities looking great merged into one skyline. I can also think Indi would look good on the river.

Charlotte and Pittsburgh - Pitt's industry with Charlotte's banking? A great economic powerhouse.

Yea I agree Louisville and Birmingham would be a good merged city..Louisham, lol

But Louisville and Birmingham are not similar sized..Louisville city (not metro) currently has a population of 556,429 people and is ranked 26th in the country...Birmingham is not even in the top 50.

Yea I agree Louisville and Birmingham would be a good merged city..Louisham, lol

But Louisville and Birmingham are not similar sized..Louisville city (not metro) currently has a population of 556,429 people and is ranked 26th in the country...Birmingham is not even in the top 50.

Municipal populations are pretty meaningless when attempting to gauge the true size of a place; even then, it must be acknowledged that Louisville's municipal government is consolidated with the county. Before that time, the municipal populations were virtually equal, as Lousivlle had a 2003 estimate of 248,762 while Birmingham's was 236,620. Urbanized area, MSA, and county stats are much more indicative of true size. When you use those measures, you can get a more accurate picture.

Urbanized areas (2000):

• Birmingham: 663,615

• Louisville: 863,582

County population (2005):

• Jefferson County, AL: 657,229

• Jefferson County, KY: 699,827

MSA (2005):

• Birmingham: 1,090,126 (growth rate between 2000-2005 at 3.6%)

• Louisville: 1,208,452 (growth rate between 2000-2005 at 4.0%)

Louisville has a slight edge on Birmingham, but they're not THAT dissimilar.

Chicago + Los Angeles. You get the Alpha City greatness and the pretty decent transit system of Chicago with the beaches, the media powerhouse, and the glamor of LA, and as an added bonus you get the mild SoCal climate, which as far as I'm concerned is the best climate on earth. Hell, the climate itself would be reason enough for me to combine 'em. Problem would be the high taxes, pollution, crime and absolutely insane cost of living. Not to mention some pretty crooked politics.

Or...

Chicago + Dallas. You get all of the above from Chicago, but you get SENSIBLE tax policies, you get the anti-gun lobby beaten back, still affordable property prices, and hopefully less political corruption. Plus, I think the average Texan, being pretty enterprising and hard to intimidate, would fit in well in the fast paced Chicago life.

Municipal populations are pretty meaningless when attempting to gauge the true size of a place; even then, it must be acknowledged that Louisville's municipal government is consolidated with the county. Before that time, the municipal populations were virtually equal, as Lousivlle had a 2003 estimate of 248,762 while Birmingham's was 236,620. Urbanized area, MSA, and county stats are much more indicative of true size. When you use those measures, you can get a more accurate picture.

Urbanized areas (2000):

^My point was that using city population alone is probably the most irrelevant indicator of the true size of a city. Louisville has an advantage in that regard being consolidated with its county. If we just go by city populations alone, we could say that Jacksonville and Charlotte are larger than Atlanta, Boston, and DC. That might be true in terms of how many people live within the municipal boundaries, but for just about any other respect (especially size), it is irrelevant.

Im thinknig more about similarities how they can connect well with each other if molded together:

Roanoke, VA and Harrisburg, PA

Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC

Winston-Salem and Durham

Fayetteville, NC and Jacksonville, NC

Baltimore and Norfolk

Atlanta with Chicago: creating the nations absolute largest rail and air hubs

Hershey PA and Las Vegas: combining all those sinful treats

Colorado Springs and Miami: where the health fanatics can enjoy a Miami beach tan and strong calf muscles and lungs from climbing the mountains

DC and Madison Wisconsin: bringing together all the culture

Nashville and Orlando: Country music meets Mickey Mouse with lots of money flow

Kansas City and Oklahoma City: bringing together two major Mid-American cities for all the right reasons OK can only help KC

St Louis and Memphis and New Orleans

Nah, I think San Fran and San Diego would make the coolest West Coast City. Then Miami and Boston would make the coolest East Coast city.

I think it would have to be New York and Miami. They're much more of a natural fit than Boston and Miami. Seattle/San Francisco is a great combination too.

I would love a New York/Barcelona connection. Great culture, great food, creative, intelligent people, beautiful, urbane cities with a gritty underside. I think a Toronto/Boston merging (except for the fact that it would be ridiculously cold) and a Montreal/Washington combination would be interesting.

Archived