Best self defense method?

PghUSA

Since this world is full of choices I have been toying with the question of which self defense method is the best on both effectiveness (by that I mean most to the point yet lawful--if there is such a thing) as well as fitness promoting.

Any personal experiences with what works for you, and how many at UP are involved in such styles? As for me I achieved a greenbelt in Karate during the early years of college, still remember how to count to ten in Japanese :lol: It has helped me more then I knew in some instances but I am very rusty and looking for the best path to get back involved into something. Wrestling in HS but thats been mothballed somewhere back in my brain.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the friends I have that are into the ultimate fighting sort of thing all swear by wrestling. A good wrestler will tear you apart in most cases.

However, self defense is not about competing or even fighting so much as ending conflict and removing oneself from danger. That would seem to eliminate wrestling.

The excercise aspect of your criterion sort of throws me. I understand most martial arts are good for the practitioner in a health sense. Boxing to tai chi and everything else.

What I suggest is to try out a few styles until you find one that clicks with you. Then apply yourself to it. I doubt you will ever reach the level of mastery required to have any effect whatsoever in a streetfight or assault but you will get good excercise and theoretically gain a better understanding of the body and it's workings.

I like your view on self defense, very insightful.

As far as fitness I have heard (again you hear lots of things) that some styles are much better then others for certain health reasons, cardio, toning etc.

As far as doubting the ability for us to reach a level of mastery to have an affect in a streetfight or assault, I have known a few that claim a wresting move or karate move did save the day in one aspect or the other, but I agree unless you do it everyday and compete every week or so, the benefits are useful but do not make you invulnerable.

Here's a serious answer-- I would say how dedicated you are, the instructor/dojo, and what you feel comfortable with depending on your physical characteristics. If your tall, look at tae-kwon-do; if you're small, look at akido; if your big, look at judo.

If you want the best, IMO, ruthless, effecient, practical, then stick with karate-do. However, karate instructers vary tremendously. It's not like there's a standard accreditation-- anybody can proclaim themselves 10th-degree black belt of cobra-butterfly-flamingo style after watching some instructional videos for a couple of months, unfortunately. You gotta use your judgement with instructors and dojos. But really, Okinawan martial arts is very practical, time-tested, and ruthless. Kill or injure your opponent quickly and efficiently. Fun stuff.

And when you're giving someone the touch of death, you can say "respect my authoritah".

Best self-defense method: Glock.. pretty-much any model and any caliber. Also, the Bushmaster AR-15 can come in handy in extreme situations.

High five, DruidCity.

I'm a big fan Tec-9's, Uzi's and other pistol-sized submachine guns. Oh don't forget your CCW permit, weapons charges can be rough.

I also forgot to mention that in order to legally own an automatic you have to get a class III weapons permit, with is very hard and timeconsuming to get, lots of paperwork. I think there are some loopholes though, say if you wanted to form an LLC or corporation.

I carry a little snubnose S+W .357 if I feel I'm going somewhere I don't really want to be. I usually just load it up with .38 Special +p's rather than full power .357's, but then again the deterrent factor alone is probably more valuable a defense than the loads you have in it.

Too bad I couldn't have it along with me that day I got lost in Cicero, IL...oops.

Home defense my Dad's got a .38 and a 20-gauge pump, and I also keep an ol' Marlin .30-30 in the closet, and a Tec-22 in case the coyotes or some pest comes along that has to be dispatched.

i assume you're talking martial arts type self defense?

i've never done any of them, but i've always admired and wanted to take aikido. it's less about fighting and more about form. i think the idea behind it is to use your enemy's momentum to your advantage with lots of throwing. it seems to function more around peacefulness than any of the others that i've seen. i've also been told by friends who do it that it's an awesome workout and gets you very flexible.

i assume you're talking martial arts type self defense?

i've never done any of them, but i've always admired and wanted to take aikido. it's less about fighting and more about form. i think the idea behind it is to use your enemy's momentum to your advantage with lots of throwing. it seems to function more around peacefulness than any of the others that i've seen. i've also been told by friends who do it that it's an awesome workout and gets you very flexible.

...as long as you stretch properly and thoroughly. Otherwise, it hurts like %*^!$. All those Steven Segal movies are misleading, because if Segal actually did what it looks like he does 90% of the time, you would tear ligaments, break bones, etc. Instead, the stunt men do controlled flips and stuff to, well, keep their arms.

Instead of Steven Segal self-defense techniques, you could always look at Chuck Norris techniques. Nothing but deadly roundhouse kicks!

Archived