City to decide whether or not to reauthorize BID

krazeeboi

From this week's edition of the Free Times:

The fate of a key force behind Main Street revitalization in Columbia rests in City Council's hands. The council was scheduled June 21 to hold a public hearing on reauthorizing the Business Improvement District (BID). Widely regarded as a central component of Main Street's comeback, the BID consists of the 36 blocks bounded by Gervais, Assembly and Marion streets and Elmwood Avenue. Businesses in the BID pay a special tax for security, cleanup and other services, which have helped residential and commercial activity rebound from Main Street's previously ghostly state at night. The public-private City Center Partnership manages the BID.

My question is, why would the city consider discontinuing the BID? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the tax system is restructured like the legislature wants to do, BIDs, TIFs, and all other land value based districts will become useless, and it looks like the general assembly is going to pass something to that effect, so why waste the energy?

Good. Maybe they will get another year or so out of it. The new taxes wouldn't take effect until 2008 I'm guessing. But then, that kind of legislation requires an amendment to the constitution, so maybe the people of SC will vote against it? (yeah right)

Your parenthetical statement says it all. When this does happen, what options will our cities have? I also wonder what role the MASC has been playing in all of this.

Stuff like this makes it increasingly difficult for me to be optimistic about the state of affairs in our state and where we're headed. I guess I'll see what this next round of elections produces before I say "Forget it" and move to another state with a miniscule possibility of ever moving back (except for perhaps retirement).

MASC is just an organization. They have written a letter to the governor on behalf of the cities in SC to ask him to veto it when it comes up. But really thats all they can do except spread the word.

I think the only way to fix this state is to stick with it. If everyone that has any sense leaves, then it will only get worse.

I've often thought was about the state's largest cities forming a coalition of sorts to fight a lot of this anti-city legislation. I wonder how well that will work. We also need more politicians coming from the urban areas of the state.

We'll try Spartan. The plan is to leave for a little while anyway to get my big city experience, then come back after a few years. We'll see how it all works out.

Nah, I'm practically in Charlotte now, and I want a TRUE big city experience; Charlotte just isn't there yet. As of now, my top three picks are DC, LA, and ATL. No matter where I wind up, I will still be monitoring the action, thanks to UP. :thumbsup:

Nah, I'm practically in Charlotte now, and I want a TRUE big city experience; Charlotte just isn't there yet. As of now, my top three picks are DC, LA, and ATL. No matter where I wind up, I will still be monitoring the action, thanks to UP. :thumbsup:

I vote for DC. :)

I've often thought was about the state's largest cities forming a coalition of sorts to fight a lot of this anti-city legislation. I wonder how well that will work. We also need more politicians coming from the urban areas of the state.

We'll try Spartan. The plan is to leave for a little while anyway to get my big city experience, then come back after a few years. We'll see how it all works out.

Columbia has a lobbyist, maybe two. Not sure what they have been able to accomplish so far. I think this was only the first or second legislative session since the city has had one.

Yes, it's definitely my first pick. Hopefully the next round of my education takes me there. If not, I'll settle for Richmond or Baltimore; they're close enough and cool cities in and of themselves. :)

Not Richmond Krazeeboi! If you are going big... GO BIG. Nothing smaller than DC. I live there and loved it at the time. I couldn't live there now....Too many Republicans! I'd vote for Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, or Boston. If you can get past the snow and cold you'll really get the city experience.

Not Richmond Krazeeboi! If you are going big... GO BIG. Nothing smaller than DC. I live there and loved it at the time. I couldn't live there now....Too many Republicans! I'd vote for Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, or Boston. If you can get past the snow and cold you'll really get the city experience.

Boston is my first place to move if I ever move to a large city. Philly and NYC are up there too.

I agree with you, Doug, about the Republicans; that's why I live in Columbia, it's the only city in South Carolina for me.

What's wrong with businesses bearing the brunt of taxes? They already pay the most property taxes. Their customers eventually pay for it through higher prices any way, but at least the consumers have the option of wanting to buy whatever they are selling.

^ well the issue is that sales tax is not a stable and predictable revenue stream. There will be times when it will generate more than anticipated and times when there will be a shortfall. There would be no way to make up revnenue other than to raise property taxes on those who are paying taxes, ie business. Speaking as a small business owner, that is not an appealing option to me, personnally. You are right, it gets passed along to customers eventually, but that money is paid first and then recovered through increased fees (or prices), so it is still coming out of pocket.

Plus in sheer fairness, business buy products too, thereby contributing to the sales tax, yet are expected to still pay the property taxes. The distribution of municipal services is largely geared toward residential properties over businesses. To ask business to pick up that tab is remarkeably unfair.

I'm not claiming to know all of the details of the bill. There are certainly more details to it than I stated. The principle is still the same. While I don't like property taxes, they are a stable source of income. Sales taxes are not. Bad economy = less income.

I agree; property taxes are much more reliable. They need to stop cutting the real property tax, though, and work on decreasing the car tax instead. Car property taxes are absurd. Get rid of the cap on car sales tax so at least the tax burden can be spread out monthly over the course of the car loan. (unless you're wealthy enough to pay cash for a car)

I'm not claiming to know all of the details of the bill. There are certainly more details to it than I stated. The principle is still the same. While I don't like property taxes, they are a stable source of income. Sales taxes are not. Bad economy = less income.

You are preaching to the choir, Spartan. Try to get the tightly wound conservatives in SC to understand this basic principle.

Its not possible. People in general are very single minded. All they see/hear is "no property taxes" and their response is: "hell yeah!"

It does look like this is for residential properties only, so all may not be lost with this bill. Infact, it may be a decent compromise. I'll have to look into it more before I solidify my opinion.

Its not possible. People in general are very single minded. All they see/hear is "no property taxes" and their response is: "hell yeah!"

It does look like this is for residential properties only, so all may not be lost with this bill. Infact, it may be a decent compromise. I'll have to look into it more before I solidify my opinion.

The fact that it is for owner occupied residential properties is what makes it a bad idea in my opinion.

Archived