Blue Cross Blue Shield to Invest $299 Million

The Chattanooga Times-Free Press reported today that Blue Cross Blue Shield will invest $299 Million in it's new downtown headquarters slated to start construction later this year. The campus will consist of 5 five story building totalling 950,000 Sq Ft, and will include a wellness center and a 4,100 space parking garage. 3,800 Employees will be consolidated to work in the facility, and 1,100 will be moving from the suburbs to the new downtown location. A rendering was shown in the newspaper, but, unfortunately was not published in the newspaper internet article. Here's the article:

Times-Free Press Article

Here's a view of the demolition taking place on top of Cameron Hill where the office complex will be built.

BCBSSitePrep.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A rendering was shown in the newspaper, but, unfortunately was not published in the newspaper internet article. Here's the article:

The rendering is in the internet article, at least for subscribers. As posted above by smurf

It would have been nicer if the development was more urbanized. This could have been a good opportunity for a highrise or two.

I wish they would have razed the Golden Gateway plaza and built a high rise there.

For a campus style facility I like it's design and its location. It's buildings will still be rather prominent, without being a tower, just by sitting from that vantage point above downtown, which is kind of a neat positioning IMO. I really think its cool that even without building a tower they still foudn a way to build their HQ in the downtown area, where many other companies might well have chosen a more suburban location for such a facility. So I will give kudos to Blue Cross Blue Shield for building downtown and doing something very unique that will be great addition to Chattanooga's downtown (IMO).

For a campus style facility I like it's design and its location. It's buildings will still be rather prominent, without being a tower, just by sitting from that vantage point above downtown, which is kind of a neat positioning IMO. I really think its cool that even without building a tower they still foudn a way to build their HQ in the downtown area, where many other companies might well have chosen a more suburban location for such a facility. So I will give kudos to Blue Cross Blue Shield for building downtown and doing something very unique that will be great addition to Chattanooga's downtown (IMO).

Several years ago when BCBS began looking at a new headquarters they really wanted a suburban location. They bought a chunk of land north of downtown on the river, in a part of Chattanooga called Lupton City. Also, either they had expressed an interest in Memphis, or Memphis was courting them (I don't remember). I do know that Mayor Corker worked hard to keep them downtown, let alone Chattanooga.

I think it will be a wonderful location and be a great campus setting for all who work there. Still I think they will always miss the possibility of enjoying all the many things that downtown Chattanooga has to offer by being essentially separated from downtown on top of that hill. Not too many will walk to the many nice restaurants and attractions from there. I think they would have been better served by locating in the business district in one or two large towers. I think Cameron Hill would be most successful as a mix of residential, retail, and restaurants. Then anyone could would have an opportunity to see the finest views of downtown Chattanooga there are.

I think it will be a wonderful location and be a great campus setting for all who work there. Still I think they will always miss the possibility of enjoying all the many things that downtown Chattanooga has to offer by being essentially separated from downtown on top of that hill. Not too many will walk to the many nice restaurants and attractions from there. I think they would have been better served by locating in the business district in one or two large towers. I think Cameron Hill would be most successful as a mix of residential, retail, and restaurants. Then anyone could would have an opportunity to see the finest views of downtown Chattanooga there are.

I wish that they had gone with a tower also. Chattanooga needs some taller buildings. I wish that the proposed 30+ story had gone in where the new EBP building is. That building had been designed but the bank that was going to build it went under.

I wish that they had gone with a tower also. Chattanooga needs some taller buildings. I wish that the proposed 30+ story had gone in where the new EBP building is. That building had been designed but the bank that was going to build it went under.

BCBS could have easily gone 30 stories. At 950,000 St Ft, the building would have had a large 32,000 Sq Ft floorplate (about 3/4 of an acre!), and still been 30 stories. It could have been the tallest office structure in Tennessee had they desired to build it that way.......Mmmmm, oh well. :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question. Everyone's been saying that this complex is located downtown, but in the pictures and models, it looks like it's a suburban office complex on a hill separated from downtown by a highway, and not part of the downtown at all. Is there something I'm missing?

I have a question. Everyone's been saying that this complex is located downtown, but in the pictures and models, it looks like it's a suburban office complex on a hill separated from downtown by a highway, and not part of the downtown at all. Is there something I'm missing?

All of the Chattanoogan's I know consider Cameron Hill as "downtown". I used to live there and it is only a 4 block walk into the central business district.

I would suspect Chattanooga's wonderful, free electric trolly system will serve the campus making downtown accessible at lunchtime..

It would be nice if some retail open to downtown workers were made available on the campus. I'll bet sitting on the terrace of a nice restaurant with that view of downtown would be very popular.

Is there anything on the hill already, or is it just open space?

They razed an apartment complex on the top of the hill just a couple or months ago to make way for BCBS. The apartments were pretty run down, but, I would have rather they been replaced with better housing development up there, and BCBS built a highrise complex in the central business district. Problem was that they probably would have located in a suburban location otherwise, or even....dread the thought.... in other city.

Is there anything on the hill already, or is it just open space?

There was the Cameron Hll Apartments, they were razed a while ago for the new BCBS HQ. Before the apartmentas part of the hill had been cleared and removed to elevate the I-124/US 27 freeway, and prior to that it was Victorian Homes. I have an old family photo from early 1900's when it was all homes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived