Grocery Store in Eastown

BostonianinGR

Folks,

Don't you think it would be nice to have a local grocery store in the eastown neighborhood? The closest is either gaslight village or the Fulton st market. Wish there was a little store where you could pick up milk, eggs, and other basics ... sort of an old fashioned Mom and Pop store.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I don't think Sami carries groceries, though he does have other good stuff. I think there is definitely a market for it in Easttown and there are quite a few empty stores that would work nicely. ....Boston has one of these little markets every 8-10 blocks everywhere... you never had to drive :-(

Isnt the Family Fare grocery just down the street from Eastown? It's not really that far on foot, on a bike or a a short car ride.

Yes, thanks for pointing this out - the Family Fare (full sized grocery store where you can get eggs, milk, probably even some soy milk and anything else you might want) is probably a five minute walk from the center of Eastown (intersection of Lake and Wealthy). Better yet, hop on your city cruiser and take a quick ride to pick up what you need!

I don't remember the grocery store in the old CVS building, but I remember the Eastown Food Co-op in the building that's now Pita House. That used to be exactly what you are describing, but it went out of business in the mid-1990s.

I also remember Healthy Path. Up until very recently, it operated on the same block of Lake Drive as Shipwreck Music and Terra Stella. They sold organic milk and produce, free range eggs and tons of good spices and such. But they just went out of business.

With these two failures in the business district's recent history, I doubt we'll see any more attempts at an alternative grocer in Eastown anytime soon. :cry:

There used to be a grocery store in the old CVS building, before it was Blockbuster. Anyone remeber which store it was?

I don't remember the grocery store in the old CVS building, but I remember the Eastown Food Co-op in the building that's now Pita House. That used to be exactly what you are describing, but it went out of business in the mid-1990s.

I also remember Healthy Path. Up until very recently, it operated on the same block of Lake Drive as Shipwreck Music and Terra Stella. They sold organic milk and produce, free range eggs and tons of good spices and such. But they just went out of business.

With these two failures in the business district's recent history, I doubt we'll see any more attempts at an alternative grocer in Eastown anytime soon. :cry:

Now that I think about it, the grocery store I'm refering to could have been where the current Blockbuster is.

At one point there was one... I can atleast remember that much.

There used to be a grocery store in the old CVS building, before it was Blockbuster. Anyone remeber which store it was?

And wheres this Family Fare you speak of?

Before the building at Norwood and Lake became CVS, it was home to a combination of stores, the largest tenant was a contemporary furniture outfit, there was also a card store and a few other things over the years. Way back in the 1970's among other things the building contained the Bijou Theatre. This was a small (about 60 seats) art theatre. We have fond memories of seeing some of the best flicks ever there. I do not remember a grocery store ever being in the CVS building. It was originally built as the first home of Berger Chevrolet.

The building on Wealthy and Norwood which now contains Blockbuster was originally built as a grocery store. It was an Eberhard store until they sold out to D & W. When they did not want to operate a grocery there, it became a small independent grocery called Eastown Foods. To the best of my memory they closed about 1986 -87, which is when Blockbuster came in there.

Before the building at Norwood and Lake became CVS, it was home to a combination of stores, the largest tenant was a contemporary furniture outfit, there was also a card store and a few other things over the years. Way back in the 1970's among other things the building contained the Bijou Theatre. This was a small (about 60 seats) art theatre. We have fond memories of seeing some of the best flicks ever there. I do not remember a grocery store ever being in the CVS building.

Wasn't the Uptown Ministries building formerly the Bijou? I'd always heard it referred to as the Eastown Bijou.

http://www.cinematour.com/picview.php?db=us&id=16175

However, as I look at the page before it, it gives two addresses, 1470 Lake Dr. and 1550 Lake Dr. Were there two?

http://www.cinematour.com/theatres/us/MI/7.html

I agree it'd be nice to have a store right in Eastown, but it's not like we have any real reason to complain. Family Fare is definitely an easy walk (especially if you're only buying groceries for one), and CVS stocks the bare essentials. We've got it better than most people.

Very interesting to hear all of the Eastown history, though!

I was thinking something similar to that but closer to Heritage hill (where I live) I went to the Cherry hill market and was dissapointed. I wanted some butter but I left with a six pack of Oberon. They have 3 "storefronts" but cary pretty much only alcohol.. they have like 2 shelves with crackers and stuff on it but I could find no butter in sight.

I guess I should have gone to the wealthy street market but I couldn't remember if they had a better selection or not...

I agree that a little store like an old general store where you can pick up, milk, butter, beer, cereal, advil, some fruits and veggies, would be nice somewhere in the vacinity of Heritage Hill and Eastown. I am waiting for more of those rennovated storefronts to actually turn into businesses so i can do more of my shopping close to my house. I am getting sick of driving to D&W and Meijer everytime I need one item!

Wasn't the Uptown Ministries building formerly the Bijou? I'd always heard it referred to as the Eastown Bijou.

http://www.cinematour.com/picview.php?db=us&id=16175

However, as I look at the page before it, it gives two addresses, 1470 Lake Dr. and 1550 Lake Dr. Were there two?

http://www.cinematour.com/theatres/us/MI/7.html

two!

the eastown and the bijou were two seperate theatres, but by the end (i believe) they had very similar cult-cinema programs. midnight kungfu double features and the like...

bijou was in CVS, and the eastown (which was later the shout night club) was where uptown is now.

i really miss the food co-op too. dearly.

Archived