Sir Walter Raleigh

Justin6882

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about actually on top of the capital building? I have noticed that a lot of state capitals have angels and the like on the very tops of theirs. Just a thought! :blink:

If they are really going to put a rotary at Hillsborough and Morgan, I can't think of a better center piece.

You are in no position to advise me regarding water goals, as you are a water failure.

Funny guy, eh?? :P

I agree with you though, Lichtin Plaza would also be an awesome place for it.

What about scraping the whole Plensa project and just stick him in the middle of a fountain where everything he was going to do would go. I bet we could please Granny out in Smithfield :rofl:

I always thought Hillsborough St from West to Salisbury could be converted into a monument avenue like in Richmond or the medians in Savannah....we of course should probably shy away from civil war officers, but Sir Walter, Andy and Opie, and Martin Luther King are all scattered all over the place, Hillsborough Street is plenty wide enough and the Capital Grounds at the end of Hillsborough have a large statue/monument to bookend the configuration...the other bookend could go at the Hillsborough/Edenton brick median thing with a yet undetermined statue.

I always thought Hillsborough St from West to Salisbury could be converted into a monument avenue like in Richmond or the medians in Savannah....we of course should probably shy away from civil war officers, but Sir Walter, Andy and Opie, and Martin Luther King are all scattered all over the place, Hillsborough Street is plenty wide enough and the Capital Grounds at the end of Hillsborough have a large statue/monument to bookend the configuration...the other bookend could go at the Hillsborough/Edenton brick median thing with a yet undetermined statue.

Excellent suggestion!!! :D

Why don't you forward this idea to the city council? :thumbsup:

I think he ought to be put in the RBC Center parking lot....

Seriously, how about in Lichtin Plaza (in front of Memorial Auditorium) looking up Main Street NC toward the Capitol? I agree that New Bern Place is horrible.

I think they should put him in front of the RBC but add some extra wood and have him lifted the Stanley Cup !!! Sir Walter meets Lord Stanley !!!!

Sorry I had to say that :rofl:

OK now I am really going to show my age and I think I have said this on this forum before, but I remember when Sir Walter was being carved. It was back in the 70s and I was just a kid and this they put this giant piece of wood in the middle of North Hills Mall and this artist was there for months chipping away at it. Then, as a kid, I could tell it was some old pirate looking guy, or what came to be the knowledge of "Sir Walter Raleigh."

I can still see the guy on scaffolding chipping away at his head. Man, that was a long time ago !!!! :huh:

I think they are talking about the bronze Sir Walter that was on Fayetteville Street for some time after it was in the Bicentennial Plaza (bt the capitol and legislature).

However, do you remember what happened when the wood carver was shaping Sir Walter's groin area? So many spectators were shrieking out with every chip that he had to quit and do it after hours. :D

Where is that wooden Walter, anyway? He was something like 40 feet tall, right?

I think they are talking about the bronze Sir Walter that was on Fayetteville Street for some time after it was in the Bicentennial Plaza (bt the capitol and legislature).

However, do you remember what happened when the wood carver was shaping Sir Walter's groin area? So many spectators were shrieking out with every chip that he had to quit and do it after hours. :D

40 FEET!? Rain-proof him and stick him on one of the hills under the bridge in the money shot angle as you drive into downtown. He'll be like the freakin' Colossus of Rhodes!

I could be wrong but I thought it was the same or maybe he was the source of the bronze cast of "Big-Wood" Sir Walter ?? :rofl:

Archived