Sir Walter Raleigh

Justin6882

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^That's not a bad idea. As long as some trees were replanted to make up for any taken down to do such a project. But I definitely agree that block needs some work to go along with the nice new bridge.

Similarly, they've been talking about a round-a-bout at the Morgan/Hillsborough split. Maybe it could be in the center of that?

It would be nice to see what the cleaning did for the statue. Hiding in the trees in the 100 block of F Street Mall didn't help.

There is a call for art in the "city square" area between One and Two Hannover, Site 1, etc. A median location would be ideal, but since F Street can't be obstructed, one of the raised sides in the plaza would be acceptable.

The SWSalisbury/Cabarrus new Convention Center corner could be a good "photo opp" and could connect the new building to an old city landmark.

I don't like the "car centric" idea of medians, since it discourages people walking up to him. But welcoming visitors either at the Capital Blvd. split on the north side of downtown or the Dawson/McDowell join in the southwest money shot would be seen by a lot of people.

Another possibility is on the corner of Nash Square facing "The Nash". He'd be a gateway for 90% of the people who approach the park and would be within throwing distance of City Hall. He'd be enjoyed by pedestrians and cars traffic alike there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Yep, that is a temporary location. If you look at the convention center renderings, he will be perched in that little nook to the right of the front door. So that he will be by the coffee shopish place on the right corner of the building. I think it will be kinda a cool juxtaposition of the old style "icon" against the modern building. We can put a Hurricanes jersey on him when we win the Stanley cup again.

The roundabout would be a good place for Sir Walter. Another good place would be at the new foot of Fayetteville St. He would look good there with the backdrop of Memorial Auditorium, and would balance the statues at the north end of Fayetteville St.

But no matter where he goes, he needs a pedestal. He looks so silly standing on the ground. He would look much more dignified on a pedestal, like the old statues at the capitol. Or all the statues on Monument Ave., Richmond. Or the Statue of Liberty. Our statue of Martin Luther King also needs a pedestal. It makes a huge difference in a statue's appearance. People used to understand that.

Yeah, I have been thinking the same thing since I posted the design updates in the Hillsborough St thread. The Pullen roundabout is going to be a major gateway-type feature, and one would think a perfect spot for a stature... although I doubt it's in the plans, as others have said it looks like he's going to be placed at the RCC, which is fine by me.

The Sir Walter statue has been moved several times, but has always been in/near the F Street corridor. He was lost in the "woods" of the old Mall, and should be in a picture taking worthy space going forward. The current location feels out of place, especially with Salisbury Street closed off at Cabarrus a couple of blocks to the north.

Plenty of local citizens will go to the CC for their own conferences, boat and car shows, and other events. The new CC will (hopefully) be a reason to get people to come downtown who otherwise would not.

The Hillsborough Street roundabouts should have some artwork, but not this piece. A statue of Mr. and Ms. Wulf? Some dynamic 360 degree LED display presented by Cree (that won't cause car/pedestrian accidents)? Something else?

Archived