Red Wings May Build New Rink West of Woodward

BarGal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're really getting ahead of ourselves, but I see the naming of this potential new arena being and issue, too. I would love to see the name transplanted to the potential new arean, but could also live with Olympia Stadium, seeing as that's where the Wings played for many years.

Even more importantly, though, I'd hope they'd design it like the old field houses and stadium like the old Olympia, Yost in Ann Arbor, or Jenison in East Lansing. That would be so cool to have it look like those old sports temples.

Jenison Fieldhouse

800px-MSUJenisonFieldhouseMarch2006.jpg

Yost Ice Arena

192872411_a2dd85e8b2_o.jpg

Olympia Stadium

oldfront.gif

We're really getting ahead of ourselves, but I see the naming of this potential new arena being and issue, too. I would love to see the name transplanted to the potential new arean, but could also live with Olympia Stadium, seeing as that's where the Wings played for many years.

Even more importantly, though, I'd hope they'd design it like the old field houses and stadium like the old Olympia, Yost in Ann Arbor, or Jenison in East Lansing. That would be so cool to have it look like those old sports temples.

Jenison Fieldhouse

800px-MSUJenisonFieldhouseMarch2006.jpg

Yost Ice Arena

yost_photo.jpg

Olympia Stadium

oldfront.gif

I agree LMich. I would not mind a combination look of the new/old like Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Inside and out, that is one of my favorite arenas that I've been able to see in person.

Something like Yost would really tie in with the retro theme that most of these new places have. I think it would be cool to tie in those old barn elements with some modern touches. The Wings have soo much history so it would be approapiate to give them a building that looks like something that is storied.

dtown, I love that arena you posted. I would definitely like to see something like that. Contemporary, but with a few gestures toward the past.

I've stayed out of this thread a bit because I know I have different views. Technically, I don't think we need a new hockey arena unless there is a better plan. Yeah, JLA sucks, but I would prefer to see the old one replaced reguardless of a proposed Cobo expansion. Unless something big and better is planned for that site, I'd like to avoid seeing the area around FF and CoPa turing into arena/parking structure city. It just isnt urbanism....at the very least we don't even know how to make it that way. Maybe if the blow of these large superblock areas were distributed across the city more I'd be happy. I mean, a new hockey arena in New Center might not even be all that bad.

I guess the one thing that bothers me so much is the fact that there is going to be a ton of parking. I'd challenge the architects to be innovative and put the parking inside the stadium which can be done. Or only build 1 parking structure and let fans find their own parking somewhere else. Actually, build no parking period. Really you don't need it. If you want to see an example, go to Ann Arbor on game day and watch over 100,000 fans park across the city. I think people are really starting to be comfortable enough with Detroit that they don't mind parking their cars in distant places.

They wouldnt make it exactly like the older arenas, it would be modern, just with a retro theme. Think Camden Yards or Conseco Fieldhouse for examples.

i knew what was meant, but i still think something contemperary style would look good.

and wolverine- they should put parking underground, maybe under the arena.

I'm totally unfamiliar with stadium design, but the playing area doesn't have any weight on it. My impression is that underground garages are more expensive because they need to be designed and built to hold the weight of the building above. So would an underground parking structure be a cheaper here, because it would basicly be a normal garage built underground? idk

But I do know there are a lot of really cool places where it could go. Midtown looks the best to me, since there are naturally big blocks, and it's near a big university, and it's already predicted to have that sort of stuff (things college kids like, like bars, cafes, restauraunts) in the future. The Illitches don't own midtown though.

btw, why is it that W Columbia and W montcalm get mesed up inbetween grand river and cass, but seem to keep on going (as different names) on the other side of grand river (or the freeway)?

Archived